What's new

CAP NextGen, Quantum or Lumatek: Which one works best with a Flip Box?

Wihtout trying to promote our products, here is what I can tell you for sure - powerbox flips definitely work with galaxy, new lumateks, and quantums. When the flip occurs, if the second lamp doesn't ignite right away, just wait - theballast will send another ignition pulse within 60 to 300 seconds and the lamp will ignite. Most of the time however the lamp should ignite right away on flip. I would buy either quantum or galaxy - we use those for testing in our shop.

Thanks for the input Jeff. I've got my FlipBox hooked up to my 1K Quantum, works great. :) Thanks for chiming in.

TB4U

High-Tech

Has anyone seen or used the Hydrofarm Phantom Digital Ballast? Apparently AN is coming out with a digital 600W and 1000W ballast in the next month, anyone seen them yet, not in a magazine, but in your hands.

C

Cheeb

The Phantoms seem to be available now and look badass. Supposed to be heavily tested - generator ready - with all the bells and whistles of the other brands.

image.php
image.php

link- http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=11014#

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say about them. I JUST bought some 1K lumateks and almost wish I would have waited until these.

Hydrofarm's Phantom Digital Ballast arrives on the market as the most rigorously tested ballast in the industry. The Phantom features silent operation, lightweight design, multiple placement options and the maximum lumen output around. We listened to your needs and learned. Now you can reap the benefit with this durable, premium digital ballast.

• Tri-mode, push-button dimmable feature gives you the light you need in your specific growing situation.
  • Hot re-strike programming protects the lamp in the event of a power outage
  • Tested for compatibility with most brands of high intensity grow lamps
  • Dual resettable breakers - protects lamp and household circuits
  • Only ballast on the market designed for vertical operation for coolest running and optimum grow space
  • Drives the highest light output for maximum plant growth
  • Universal reflector adaptor and 8 ft heavy duty cord included
  • Unlike magnetic ballast, Phantom runs completely silent
  • Patented lock & seal BAREF lamp cord installed
  • Internal RF protection
  • Triple surface aluminum fins - most efficient cooling in its class
  • Internal Resin coating protects components for long life

Vertical operation?
Cant any electronic ballast be sat vertically.. not sure what they are getting at here.

Honestly- the industry is getting out of hand. So many options - so many horror stories, good reviews, ect... its hard to know whats good and what aint.

I've got a FlipBox hooked up to a 1K Watt Quantum and I've never had an issue. Initially I was a little nervous because of all the uncertainty surrounding FlipBoxes and electronic ballasts, but my setup has been working without hiccups. I'm working on a new project and I'm going to use 4-600Watt Quantums and 4 FlipBoxes all daisy chained together. I will keep you all updated as to how that goes.
-
TB4U

UPDATE

Still running my Flip Box with my 1K watt Quantum without issue. Works great, even in power outages/starts. I'm going to try daisy chaining these together (in pairs because my breaker can't handle all 4 ballasts). I've got 4-600w Lumatek dimmables (new ones) and 4 Flip Boxes. I ended up going with Lumateks because they came in less expensive than the Quantums. Should be able to run 8 lights total on 2 digital heavy duty timers. I like these flip boxes :)
-
TB4U

webehi

Next Gens will not work with a flip flop. when the relay switches the power the ballast blinks a trouble code and has to be unplugged and plugged back in to work again. Those stupid fucking fans might help it run 2 degrees cooler but really thats just more shit that will break. lumateks work great on a flip and in every other aspect for that matter.

UPDATE!!!!

Lumateks will NOT work with Flip Boxes!!! I am returning all my Lumatek ballasts and getting Quantums. What a fuckin pain in the ass!!!

I called PowerBox...

LUMATEKS, NEXT GENS, PHANTOMS do NOT work with the Flip Box! Only Galaxys, Quantums and magnetic ballasts!!!