What's new

Can't beat the odor

Bennyweed1

Veteran
I have three total carbon filters running 24/7. My girlfriend tells me the smell is permanently infused in everything I wear. This concerns me because I can not smell it.

All my filter are under a year old and two of them weigh 50lbs each. I want no odor. What do you do?

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Ya I'm looking into those. I had one before and it made the house smell like electrical parts. You could smell the ozone which is just as fishy as smelling mmj. What kind do you have?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Benny, first of all...you want to make sure you are maintaining a negative pressure in your grow environment. That will ensure that no smells are leaking out through various places...

Secondly, you may be pushing the air to fast through the filters, not giving it adequate time to actually come into contact with the carbon...

Since you already have multiple filters:

1. Have one of your filters inside your flowering room, simply recirculating air.

2. Have another fan/ filter combo in the flowering room exhausting air into your veg area. In the door / wall between your veg and flowering area, place a couple dark room louvers which will allow the air to be pulled through and recirculated back into your flowering room and filtered.

I was running 2k, veg and drying area - all handled by a SINGLE 50# filter and a 6" vortex set up like suggestion 2.

But since you already have two filters, if you do both, you can't go wrong...

How are they currently being used? Seems you should be having any issues unless you are running a large grow - in which case, you should have bought BIG filters in the first place...and by big I mean the 200+ pound ones.

dank.Frank

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When your filters are beat there is no option but get new ones. Growing causes this smell or Occupational Hazard to me every one in a while. O-zone will help when it's operational between the grow and the air exit from the grow house and not recirculating throughout the grow areas.

I would love a Carbon-Breeze drawer style filter. Being able to move the carbon and replace it with less security risks has its advantages,
Remo - Urban Grower has one in the Grow Room Make-Over part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z-Jz7tg-4o - 1 min 30.

My wardrobe is mostly new-unworn clothes, I try get a good deal, I don't currently keep them at my grow - They are with my trainers sealed in vacuum packs like these from when they were - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p23119/Lakeland-Vacuum-Totes

These are what I put expensive things into first - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacuum-Seal-Hanging-Suit-Bags/dp/B0039N85DO

These are great but itchy- http://www.screwfix.com/p/work-safe...on-boiler-suit-navy-large-44-chest-31-l/16809

I usually work in flop flops military shorts and T-shirts, I use a lab coat - http://www.mintprice.com/products/item/48788-Kimtech-Science-A7-Lab-Coat-Silicone-free-Anti-static-Fabric-Standard-EN-1149-1-XLarge-Ref-96730.html?rmd=ggle001&
gclid=CLep07O2ubsCFQsCwwodi28Aig -

Overalls - http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-4535-t...ective-coverall-white-large-39-43-chest/63989 - and these - http://www.screwfix.com/p/cater-safe-disposable-over-shoes-blue-pack-of-100/29124 - http://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-wo...98?cm_sp=SafetyWorkwear-_-Gloves-_-Disposable at trim time.

Last edited:

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Maybe I just need new filter. I say under a year but that means like 10 months old. I buy mine from HTG supply. They have this 50lbs 8" filter for around 150 bucks, it's a incredible deal. Anyway, one filter is in the flower room exhausting into the basement and the second is in the basement recirculating. The exhaust filter is on low, the recirculating is on high.

Flower room is only 1600w. Now that I think of it I have no filter in the veg area but the veg area isn't sealed so my recirculating should pick it up. Do vegging plants really put off odor?

I can't smell it, I can't even smell the stink my gf claims she can smell. Ayiyiyi

To make things worse, the damn holidays mean family will be coming over to my house.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i say find a new gf...one with a better nose, lol...

i run 2 rooms currently 4kw each..got 90 plants flowering in one room and another 120 comming for the next room(waiting for them to root)...i run a total of 2 filters, one in each room, they each vent into the house for added heating in the winter, one vents upstairs and one vents downstairs..to add on top of that, i smoke an OZ every 2-3 days, all in my house...and in winter i dont open windows, lol..

now i have a parol officer and he has never smelled weed on me..the trick for me is dont keep ANY clothes where i smoke, that is #1..lol...but as for the grow, ya my house tends to smell like fresh earth and flowering weed sometimes, but nothing crazy and never smells outside, ever..except in summer when windows are open and im smoking massive amounts of weed..

generally, the smell of growing ganja will not infuse its self in your clothes unless you are rubbing up on the plants with the clothes...it needs to make contact with the plant..

so my guess is, your GF dont smoke weed, or hates the fact that you do...

women...always find something to complain about lol

Gelado`

Veteran
Don't use HTG filters--buy the best you can buy, seal all connections well and make sure you have enough (but not too much) negative pressure.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Id bet its the cheap filters too.
That or your girl is just a complainer, like already suggested.:dunno:

Also, curious what strains are you running?

Granger2

Veteran
It's not an incredible deal if they don't do the job. All carbon is not the same. The carbon needs to be packed properly. Best on the market is Phresh. Good luck. -granger

LEDfoot

I had to chuckle at "incredible deal". I have Big Blue ducts (uses lamps) but I decided not to use it. Forming nitric acid in my attic does not appeal to me.

I have a CAP brand small fan recirculating unit on the wall for emergencies. It does smell of electronics and gives me a sinus headache if I take a good whiff.

Phresh seems to be the popular name now. I have a pair, one for exhaust and another for recirculating/scrubbing the room air.

A

AlterEgo860

proly ur recycling fan is set too fast to scrub the air perfectly.. if ur not giving the air enough time to get cleaned you will still smell it. turn your fan down from high to medium.. and see if that helps.. and ya.. CAN FILTERS. or PHRESH. are the only 2 I trust. and I had a can filter last 3 years.. till I replaced it.. and I didn't replace it because I could smell anything.. only because I didn't want to end up smelling anything lol... but still 3 years .. it is a huge one. I cant remember the size.. its like 80 lbs..

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Well I turned all my fans down to low via fan controller.

And I am not convinced about the different quality in filters..virgin carbon is virgin carbon. Its like comparing bottle water in my head. Those HTG filters are packed solid tight, have a 3 inch wall and weigh 45-50lbs each which is all carbon. I cut open an old filter and its build quality is the same as a can fan filter. Same wire mesh, same rivets lay out, the only real difference in my eyes is china can make them for about 50% less and they arent that pellet carbon either.

I think I just have to clean my area. I collect all my trimmings in a tote and that thing is just chilling in my basement. For all I know its probably that piece.

These are the filters I use: http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-A-GrowBright-Pure-Flow-8-Carbon-Filter

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Its not necessarily the carbon. Maybe it is the same in all filters:dunno: (I doubt it though)
ITS HOW its PACKED that matters.

IF it aint tight, it aint right

P.S. i just recently had a horrible experience with a 6" x 24" "Can Lite" filter.
It wasnt packed right at all and carbon was pouring out all over the place.

jonesb

Used to think the same, carbon is carbon. I had a htg filter after 6 months it started letting some smell through. bought an active air for about 20-30 bucks more than the htg, that was 2 years ago and it is still working.

Granger2

Veteran
If your GF can smell it, some other people can. She may have saved your ass from a bust or ripoff, or neighbors forcing you out of growing. Consider yourself lucky, and fix the problem well enough that she can't smell it. Good luck. -granger

the gnome

Veteran
I have three total carbon filters running 24/7. My girlfriend tells me the smell is permanently infused in everything I wear. This concerns me because I can not smell it.

so your GF is saying its *you* that reeks all the time
or your clothes?
can you smell it in the house?

touching and rubbing against the plants especially in bloom will leave *that smell* on you and what ever you you touch,
your clothes etc etc.
Ive stunk for hours after a a good trim session with blooming plants.
my hands and fore arms in particular

other than that what everyone else says, get a quality filter
but that doesn't stop whatever resin gets on you from reeking.

Ive only used Can filters so far and i have zero odor on the exhaust.
ive stood out at the exhaust and started up the fan up
and for a few seconds i can smell?? something... not canna resin but just something i can't explain

Last edited:

Bennyweed1

Veteran
okay, I will buy a new filter

What is a reasonable amount for a solid filter? I have roughly 175sqft I need to scrub