What's new

Canning 101

T

TheMintMan

Got this from a website about canning fruits, jams, jellies, etc. Has anyone used this method to seal their mason jars when curing? I've always just tightened the ring over the lid as well as I could, but never gotten a true vacuum seal because I'd been worried about heating up the buds too much, or somehow getting moisture into the jars...

Is this method viable for storing cannabis?

Canning with the hot water bath is a simple process: cleaned, sterilized (boiled) jars are filled with (often) hot high-acid food. The jar rim is wiped clean. A hot, boiled new lid is placed on the jar. And a clean ring is screwed firmly onto the jar. The filled jars are then placed carefully in the boiling water bath of the canning kettle and settled into an individual place on the wire rack. When filled, the water level needs to be one to two inches above the top of the tallest jars. The cover is put on the kettle and it is allowed to return to a full rolling boil, at which time the processing time is begun.

At the end of the processing time each jar is carefully lifted out and placed on dry folded towels where sealing will occur as the jar cools. Usually you can hear the loud, musical ping as each jar seals. (I’ve noticed that my wide-mouth jars usually seal first). Leave the jars alone until they are cool. Don’t wipe, poke or move them, or you may end up with an incomplete seal. And do not screw the rings tighter thinking it will “help” the jar to seal. Tightness doesn’t equal good sealing. It happens due to the vacuum caused by the processing.

EDIT: Get yourself a pump-n-seal for 30 bucks. You'll be glad you did. :yes:

Pimpslapped

I'm not sure what the processing time involved is, that's not stated. But I'm not sure if heating cannabis/THC to the boiling point of water for X amount of time is the ideal solution for long term storage. Could have a negative impact on potency, IMO. But I'm far from an expert.

T

TheMintMan

That's kind of the conclusion I came to. But is there any other way to get a vacuum seal on those jars then? You know, so that when you open it you hear that "pop" from the indentation in the lid popping back out.

Processing time varies between different kinds of foods...I think they left the times out because they were trying to sell a book and didn't want to give out all the info.

Mt Toaker

I don't think canabanoids and THC are activated at 100c. I don't think the time would take very long if the jars were filled with dried bud, and I do believe I've heard of people doing this. The idea of the whole thing is to heat up the air enough inside the jar that it is forced out because hot air takes up more space than cold air. Once the air inside the jar(and the jar itself) has cooled it takes up less space creating a vacuum in the jar sealing the lid. Since you aren't heating up cans of tomatoes, which would take much longer to heat up than air, I think you could keep the jars in there for 10-15 minutes and create the seal or maybe even less. Thats my 2 cents anyways.

L

LolaGal

OK here's an idea for ya:

Put canning lid on as usual, poke hole in top with a nail.

Place jar in vacuum sealer bag, vacuum seal.

the hole in the lid allows the air in the jar to escape without damaging the buds with compression.

they do make a fancy jar sealer attachment for a vacuum sealer, but this works just as good. You wind up with your jar sealed in a plastic bag though, but it is resealable.

Vacuum sealers sometimes on sale for as little as $20. Bag rolls, cut your own size, are available at Wally World.

Oh, and as a canner of many jars of vegetables, I would not recommend a water bath method for the herb. I fear it would get too hot in there, steam it and you would wind up with mushy buds. It takes about 30 minutes boiling to pop those lids down!

T

TheMintMan

Thanks for the ideas folks. :smile:

I ended up ordering a Pump-n-Seal. Cost me about 30 bucks. Works great and it's easy as pie to use. :yes:

T

TheMintMan

FINALLY!

FINALLY!

I have to bump my own thread here...I am so please with this product. You don't understand...how long I've sat and scratched my head as to the best way to get a vacuum seal on my mason jars without ruining the buds.

Now no more waiting for all the extra air left in the jar to be used up before the buds actually start curing. I close the jar, pump-n-seal it up, and bam no more air. :woohoo:

Can you tell I'm having fun with this? :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I have to bump my own thread here...I am so please with this product. You don't understand...how long I've sat and scratched my head as to the best way to get a vacuum seal on my mason jars without ruining the buds.

Now no more waiting for all the extra air left in the jar to be used up before the buds actually start curing. I close the jar, pump-n-seal it up, and bam no more air. :woohoo:

Can you tell I'm having fun with this? :D

There's also another alternative.

There's a steam canner for canning delicate items that can't take much heat.
Essentially a deep pan filled with water and an inset tray that holds the jars. The jars never actually touch the water. The lid looks like a large stewpot and you set it over top of the jars. Steam for 10 minutes to heat the air up in the jars and then take the lid off and screw the rings on the jars down tight.

It's not a hard vacuum but it holds very well and IS a vacuum seal. :D

T

TheMintMan

There's also another alternative.

There's a steam canner for canning delicate items that can't take much heat.
Essentially a deep pan filled with water and an inset tray that holds the jars. The jars never actually touch the water. The lid looks like a large stewpot and you set it over top of the jars. Steam for 10 minutes to heat the air up in the jars and then take the lid off and screw the rings on the jars down tight.

It's not a hard vacuum but it holds very well and IS a vacuum seal. :D

Nice. I might have to try that one of these days for shits-n-gigs, and to see if the heat has any effect on the final cured product.

Still, can't beat the pump-n-seal for ease of use though.

Poke, stick, pump-pump-pump, done! No muss, no fuss. :smile:

thinman said:
been using one of these for years. it works as advertised. hope this helps.

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

THANK YOU! :yes:

hazy

Veteran
I might have to grab one of these pump and seals. keeps it nice and fresh eh?

T

TheMintMan

I might have to grab one of these pump and seals. keeps it nice and fresh eh?

Hey hazy! :wave:

Yup, so far so good. I keep playing with mine to make sure, cause it's hard for me to believe. I've never actually been able to make my pop-top, pop. Until now.

With my mason jars now I can seal them up, take off the band that keeps the lid on, and lift the jar up by the lid without it popping off or losing it's seal.

Actually, the first time I sealed up the jar I tried prying the lid off without releasing the "tab check" and could not get the top off for the life of me. Supposedly, this thing gives you a more powerful vacuum seal than it's $150+ competitor the "foodsaver". I believe it.

:joint:

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
i'm definately going to grab one. how long to the little tabs work for ? should i just get extra ones?

T

TheMintMan

i'm definately going to grab one. how long to the little tabs work for ? should i just get extra ones?

I think the website says they'll last for over a hundred uses...and the pump-n-seal comes with 100 of them. Soo...if you plan on canning over a hundred jars in the near future you might need more. If not, what's included should last for a few years at least. I estimate my canning needs to be around 50 jars a year.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
thanks mint man. i have 6 plants drying. buds still spongy and stems bend so i have some more time. they told me less than a week on shipping. i'm really looking forward to getting a nice anaerobic cure

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
wow- i think the pump n seal rates right up there with the radio shack microscope and a ph/tds meter as must have gear. i'm impressed with the seal. i've had several jars sealed for 2 weeks and the seal is still solid. i'm doing a little experiment where i 'm curing half my jars sealed with the pump and kept closed for 4 wks and half using the daily then weekly opening for air exchange. thanks again to thinman and mintman for turning me on to this. will definately be the way to go for longer term storage.

Lucky 7

I have used the Pump n Seal for years . . . many scoffed that the system was flawed, but hey, it works! Have never had it fail

I also have a food grade sealer that works well also. I use it for 1/4 & 1/2 lbs. But the smaller pump thingy is fantastic for glass jars!