What's new

Cannabutter

Gio88

Hi! I want to make a strong cannabutter but I’ve a little quantity of flowers! What are the proportions to make a small but strong cannabutter? Using 2/3 grams? Thank you

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
You can do as little as you want basically, but is same time and same waste that happens.
Given you have water to mantain temp and help with having enaugh liquid to extract in, any fat layer you float over that will incorporate the liposoluble elements, while water will take away the water soluble contaminants. Simmer on medium or low for at least 3-4 hours, the best is 6-8 but I doubt anyone would do that for a couple of grams. You should start with 50-100 gr butter at least, some is water so its lost and also some will be lost on pots and utensils..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would expect you end up with about 50gr after extraction so I would go for 5-10 portions. 1 gr bud for me is just right, for each 5-10 gr portion of butter, so maybe about 5 gr to start with? always take about the equivalent of half of gram of bud or less at a time and wait a few hours before taking more, to have a feel for potency before you take too much. If it's too little, you can take 1 gram equivalent and so on.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i'm using about 80grams of popcorn with 8oz of butter- cook 7-8hrs, i clean it 3-4times, mix with 1/s box of brownie mix and normally come out with 375/425grams of brownie - every time we bake, we start the dosage at 5grams of brownie and go from there- the last batch the dosage is 4/4.25grams - and that dosage is what my buddy takes.... and he eats an edible every day, so quite a high tolerance... i don't eat edibles, as 1 bad experience was enough for me... if i was to eat one, it would be 1gram, prob a touch less - we weigh the dosage on a scale everyday

Maple_Flail

well.. how strong are your buds? tested? or know someone can put you in a ballpark by sampling?

having a ballpark of the Thc/THCA content makes this question easier..

also your limited to 70% conversion outside super fancyness

for reference, 7g of decent bud (20%-24% thc content) into 12 cookies makes each of them about a 90mg dose per cookie.

also, Potency is in the Gut of the Ingester... every ones guts work differently.

Personally, I only use my edibles therapeutically, I've found i've got a stupid long onset of on average 4-6 hours after eatting it, IF it is strong enough. Hard to recreationally gauge that.
on the other hand, the same edible that I don't find terribly strong, my spouse and my buddy who orders the cookies catch HARD and within 15min for my buddy and about 25 mins for my spouse.

also pro-tip: Dry sift (bubble hash is better for this but adds 3-4 weeks to processing time to do it right. ) your flower once you've decided on an amount before decarb and infusion... this way you can skip a day of butter dank stank, and no need to strain the particulate out unless you are doing super clear candies. 220u works fine for this, or the default for trim bins (190u)

Cheers

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The ratio that I have seen float around is 1oz cannabis per cup of liquid, or (8oz butter as mentioned herein). When making salves, the ratio is for every cup of oil, 1oz beeswax. I usually use 1/4oz bud, but will also do up to 1/2. They are clearly marked but the 1/4 does do the job. I have an oil infuser for the process. It does both oil and butter.

Gio88

If I use 100 gr of butter how Many gr of buds? I don’t have too much weed right now so I just want to use a small quantity

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If I use 100 gr of butter how Many gr of buds? I don’t have too much weed right now so I just want to use a small quantity
I gather math wasn't your favourite subject in school.

28g per 8oz (224g). 100gr butter = 3.6oz

Therefore if 28 = 224, what will X be for 100. (you cross multiply and solve for X). It is written thusly...

If 28=224
x=100​

28x100= 2800
x=2800/224 or 12.5g

goingrey

If you only want to do one or two doses at a time you could also consider doing something like firecrackers rather than a butter infusion

Gio88

I gather math wasn't your favourite subject in school.

28g per 8oz (224g). 100gr butter = 3.6oz

Therefore if 28 = 224, what will X be for 100. (you cross multiply and solve for X). It is written thusly...

If 28=224
x=100​

28x100= 2800
x=2800/224 or 12.5g
Thank you but I said 2 times I’ve a small quantity of weed.
I just to want to do a small quantity of butter just for eating it once.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thank you but I said 2 times I’ve a small quantity of weed.
I just to want to do a small quantity of butter just for eating it once.
Duh! Would you like me to cook them for you. You've got the formula, now get to work :)

Maple_Flail

ok, lets say this "small quantity" is about 2 grams of average flower? safe assumption?

ok so some mathing here for you.

2000 x 0.2 (2000 being the two grams in milligrams, the 0.2 equating for 20%)

this will give you roughly 400mg of THCA before DECARB. (400mg x 0.7 for the record)

After your decarb you will have about 280mg THC and about (depending on decarb method)120mg THCA left after the fact. you can decarb longer to minimize the THCA content (has a near sedative effect in this ratio, add more thca you get more sedation, cook more thca off and the edible get a little headier and a little less (like marginally less) on the body.

If you do a long cook off (and a long what constitutes long depends on temp and method of decarb) you will only go down to about a 67% conversion with much lower thca content so assuming the 70% conversion through out without use of fancy pressure tactics is fairly safe.

next part.. 100g of butter is about 7tbsp.. that would be unpleasant to eat all at once. however that being said if eating a TBSP at a time, that would be a 40mg dose per tbsp. IMHO not quite a recreational dose.

50g or just over 3 tbsp would be a better amount getting closer to 80mg/tbsp if you use 50g butter vs 100g butter.

the problem here is @Gio88 , you are not exactly giving us info clearly to precisely answer you. you've not mentioned how much your small quantity is, and the amount of butter you are thinking doesn't lead me to think you want to take it all at once. so people are really just shooting in the dark on this one.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A tub of ABV, two quart jars of old bud, 9 sticks of butter, a little water, heat and stir… for about 5-6 hours.

Attachments

• 0CB07707-788D-4D31-BEEB-690B84DAD263.jpeg
    0CB07707-788D-4D31-BEEB-690B84DAD263.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 76