What's new

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
Moho I think you should make rice crispy treats. all you need is something to heat the butter to melt it like warm or boiling water. Put a bowl of hot water with a cup in it with your cannabutter. Once its melted all you need is a warm enough device to melt/soften the marshmallows. Adding the melted butter, just after you start to soften the marshmallows, will help the marshmallows melt faster/better.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
I would like to add a side not that when making cannabutter the smells are great. I dont think people really understand that its going to smell partially like the bud does before/when smoked and oily/herbal from the plants essential oils.

If you have tried tincture before you will know what I mean about the erbal taste!
One way to see if your cannabutter will have this smell is to smoke a joint. See how much that weed resins up compared to another type or growers bud. the less oil the better the taste!

i finally made my first batch of canna butter, thanks to this thread :tiphat: i think i will make some more today, maybe try the crockpot out?

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 13

joeking

i finally made my first batch of canna butter, thanks to this thread :tiphat: i think i will make some more today, maybe try the crockpot out?

HAHA my budda brudda! I made some with 1 oz of sugar leaves, made some caramels....WOW they are awesome. This is without a doubt a great thread/recipe

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
PLease try the crock pot. It works great. I am going to get a friend to make a youtube video and ill link it up on here soon. Ill tell him to use my Romulan. It will be fantastic!

I have been using the method described on page 1 for about four years now. It makes for the cleanest and most potent final product. I still have friends that refuse to mix the butter with water. They believe that the double boiler method makes more potent butter. They are flat out wrong. The method described on the first page makes cleaner, more potent butter that also tastes much better than butter made with the double boiler method. I only simmer the butter/water/trim for about 90 min. It does stink up my whole apt so I like to fry some apple wood smoked bacon before and after to help cover up the smell.

B

Bazarocka

Heres My Method

Heres My Method

1. Prepare the plant material by removing all of the seeds, as these have no THC, and can add a bitter taste imparted from the terpenes in the hull. Air dry the material completely out, so that is crunchy and brittle to the touch. Grind it into a very fine powder using an electric coffee grinder or mortar and pistil.

2. In a large saucepan, add 1 pound of butter, (2 cups or 4 sticks) and 1/3 cup of the finely ground plant material on medium high heat (this should work out to about a ratio of 1 ounce (28 g) of plant material to 1 lb (450-500 g) of butter.) Saute long enough to melt the butter, and mix it thoroughly with the plant material. Monitor and adjust the temperature so that the mixture does not stick or smoke. Where there is smoke there is fire, and you don’t want it to burn. Cooking marijuana requires a delicate hand, since the desired qualities are vaporized above 210 degrees Celsius.

3. Remove from heat, and let it cool for a few moments. After is has cooled enough so that it will not splatter when you add water to it, add about 2 quarts of cool water and return to heat. Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 3/4 hour. Water boils at 200 degrees Celsius, so this regulates the temperature very accurately. Remove from heat, and set the concoction, pan and all, in the refrigerator.

4. After a few hours in the refrigerator, the fat will rise to the top, and solidify. All of the plant material will have precipitated out of the fat, and to the bottom of the pan. Carefully remove the hardened fat from the top, and discard the water and plant material. Many other bud butter recipes that I have read do not use this water method, and instead have you squeeze the plant material through cheesecloth. This works for larger pieces of plant material, but the finely ground plant material tends to clog the cheesecloth, and a lot of the oils are retained in the cheesecloth and plant material. (I don’t like to waste any of it.)

5. Use the hardened fat like you would butter or oil in any recipe. It will keep like this in freezer for up to three months. It has a dark green color, and will color anything you put it in, so the most popular thing to make is brownies, because it hides the color. Remember when baking with this, select recipe’s that need short cooking times on a low heat (like cookies or brownies), or else the cannabinoids will break down while cooking. Be creative!:wave:

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
do oyu have to use cheesecloth, or why not just use a siv? im using cheesecloth method but i thought id ask anyway.

E

Eraseri

Why are u so conserned about that stove setting? Water cannot reach temperatures over 100°C in normal atmospheric pressure. Of course if THC falls down to bottom it is another thing, but since any THC that has been extracted from plant material is combined with butter, that is mostly at the top of the mixture because that butter is lighter than water... Has anyone really tried making cannabutter with higher stove setting? I think someone should give it a try.. :bump:

AfroSheep

its because the water boils out and u dont want the water evaporating -_- lol. even on low temp it still slowly dissipates.

anyways just made this last nite its lookin good, gonna make some choc chip cookies today and see how they come out :D will post back with how that process goes.

razor ridge

I use an oz. a stick....trim only...wicked shit.last batch was 4 lbs....I still don't like the taste though...any ideas about altering the taste?

I think using more water may reduce the taste some. I myself love the taste as long as its a mild flavor. I have had guests ask how I got the mint flavor into my brownies. My response was that there is no mint in my brownies. The guest then said no, there is mint in there, I can taste it. Again I told him to trust me, that is not mint your tasting. I told him that is how a properly made cannabis brownie should taste. He still thought I put some mint in the mix to cover up the cannabis.

Che

Veteran
I use an oz. a stick....trim only...wicked shit.last batch was 4 lbs....I still don't like the taste though...any ideas about altering the taste?

Hi razor ridge! I have the same issue, I make my butter very potent and it is a strong flavor to mask. I've had good results with the Blackout Banana Bread recipe and I plan to continue testing new recipes.

Next up is Pear Bread II (from website "all recipes") infused. I've tried it using normal butter and it was delicious!! It's hard to call this a bread, more like a cake or a desert. I'll post the revised version (pothead easy) with infused butter once I've done a test run :)

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
I think the reason its hard to hide the herbal taste is because its in the oil/thc/butter. Its like this the taste is bonded with the butter from the thc and butter being heated. You can use water to warm up your butter and let it set again in the fridge and then you should have better tasting/cleaner butter. Its all about what you make with the butter! Rice crispy treats have a strong herbal taste like a cannabis tincture(grain alcohol and thc basically condensed). I like tincture because I cant drink and it only take a few drops-dropperFull to make you high and drunk! Also using fresh or wet budsgives a moister oil that sticks to your teeth thus leading to more contact with tongue and a stronger taste!

AfroSheep

i ended up making mine outa some sweetly sticky northern lights trim, came out very nicely, made it into some chocolate chip cookies. it tasted really nice, every1 ive had try them said it taste good no foul tastes. so i dont no wat i did but it was all good :D.
still got bout half a pound of butter left gonna crack into a 2nd mix this wknd.

moho

Moho I think you should make rice crispy treats. all you need is something to heat the butter to melt it like warm or boiling water. Put a bowl of hot water with a cup in it with your cannabutter. Once its melted all you need is a warm enough device to melt/soften the marshmallows. Adding the melted butter, just after you start to soften the marshmallows, will help the marshmallows melt faster/better.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, sounds really good! And very easy as well, havn't even tried regular rice krispies treats :) Melted marshmallows sounds kinda delicious :D

AfroSheep

just finished using the rest of my butter and made lollie cake yumm yumm. so easy to do takes 5 mins no cooking and tastes great!.

got a mate coming over 2nite and were gonna make some more butter up will post back and let ya no how this batch goes seeming its differant cab than last time.

moho

I have read elsewhere that adding cinnamon in rich amounts can mask/remove the smell very well. Could anyone confirm this? I live in an apartment so I'm a bit scared to make some butter. Or are there some other miracle methods to mask the smell?

I live in an apt also. I like to fry some applewood smoked bacon(Neuskies) before and after in an attempt to mask the smell from making cannabutter. I also try to make it late at night. And if I here a knock at the door I ain't opening it.

Latest posts

Latest posts