What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Photography

acespicoli

1696377633104.png

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
@GMT
Flagship-Phones cost around 1000€/$ these days. ;)

But it's just not the same, smartphone lenses are much smaller, have to fit in these slim bodies. They are doing a lot with software, the chips are not big enough to catch so much light like a real camera...
Even thow a phone might have same size megapixels as a Dslr , the quality is way different due to Sensor size affect quality most and lens quality
decent Dslr and good quality lens , Macro len's will let you get pretty close , But Micro len's will let you get really close . i use a nikon DSLR and extention tubes you can get many close up options for a cheap price , , a cheap canon or nikon with a 50mm lens with set of extention tudes you get plenty of focal length options with excellent quality ,
Ring lights work great for bud shots and close ups , there cheap and produce a good light quality , And an some type editing program for your pics

acespicoli

Measuring method for photosynthetic photon flux density using a digital camera​

Authors
A. Sato, M. Tsukada
Abstract
The paper presents a method for measuring photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD) using a commercially available digital camera. PPFD is one of the critically important measurements to control photosynthetic reaction of plants. Conventionally a dedicated quantum sensor is used to measure PPFD. A quantum sensor, however, can measure PPFD of a target point at once. Thus considerable cost and labor would be consumed if the quantum sensors were introduced for managing photosynthetic reaction of numerous plants in a large greenhouse for growing commercial crops. In order to solve the problem, we propose a method for measuring PPFD using a commercially available digital camera. The method estimates spectral irradiance of daylight, fluctuating hour by hour according to weather condition changes, on the basis of the color information of a reference object in an image captured by a digital camera. Then PPFD is derived from the estimated spectral irradiance. For practical use, plural reference objects are placed in a plant community and captured as an image. PPFDs at the positions of the reference objects in the captured image are simultaneously measured. We believe that proposed method is useful in real cultivation. We conducted experiments in outdoor environment. During the experiments, a Nikon digital SLR camera D300 and a white plaster ball as a reference object were used. We finally confirmed that the average error rate of PPFD measurements by this method was 2.58%, and the maximum was within 5% which is equivalent to the accuracy of the quantum sensor on the market.

Citation
Sato, A. and Tsukada, M. (2017). Measuring method for photosynthetic photon flux density using a digital camera. Acta Hortic. 1170, 973-980
DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1170.125
https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1170.125
Keywords
spectral irradiance, commercial digital camera, image processing
Language
English
Full text https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1170.125

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

If those are not edited and cropped images, the depth of field is astounding for these images. I've got several Digital Rebels, including the first one manufactured. This will be 130 bucks I may invest in, even though all of the pics from my Pixel 7 are outstanding.

acespicoli

If those are not edited and cropped images, the depth of field is astounding for these images. I've got several Digital Rebels, including the first one manufactured. This will be 130 bucks I may invest in, even though all of the pics from my Pixel 7 are outstanding.
I mixed posts a little the actual photos are from another member not sure what he used im going to move that product from that post to here, there we go vvv below vvv
1705535792035.png

1705535125761.png

Those are from @DoobieDuck 🙏 who has recently left us RIP
Wanted to post some of his work as a tribute to him
Unfortunately he's not here to ask the details maybe some info in the digital tags

Or maybe some more info in his threads, but agreed he was a talented photographer
Im interested in acquiring some old film 35mm Canons and using film processing software
Also micro for bugs cells virus photos
Big glass isnt in the budget for hummer photos currently but things change so hope!
The Miss's had humming birds coming to visit nectar feeders so telephoto may not be needed
Hope we can share some photos in the near future!!!
>>>Best>ibes @CharlesU Farley :huggg:

Last edited:

acespicoli

1705536136525.png

1705536460780.png

^^^excellent resource^^^

Image quality​

Spatial resolution​

The visual quality of a digital photograph can be evaluated in several ways. The pixel count of an image is related to its spatial resolution and is often used as a figure of merit. The quantity of picture elements (pixels) in the image sensor is usually counted in millions and called "megapixels".[3] Sensor pixel density sets a limit on the final output resolution of images captured with that sensor.[4] Other factors, such as the effect of a Bayer pattern or other filter on the digital sensor and the image processing algorithm used to interpolate raw sensor data to image pixels. Most digital sensors are arranged in a rectangular grid pattern, making certain images (for example of parallel lines) susceptible to moiré pattern artifacts. Film is not affected by moiré because of the random orientation of the silver salts in its emulsion, however the pattern of these silver salts may become visible upon enlargement, creating the patterns called "grain" in the final output.[5]

The resolution of film images depends upon the area of film used to record the image (35 mm, medium format or large format) and the film speed. Estimates of a photograph's resolution taken with a 35 mm film camera vary. More information may be recorded if a fine-grain film is used, while the use of poor-quality optics or coarse-grained film may yield lower image resolution. A 36 mm × 24 mm frame of ISO 100-speed film was initially estimated to contain the equivalent of 20 million pixels,[6]: 99  or approximately 23,000 pixels per square mm.

Many professional-quality film cameras use medium-format or large-format films. Because of the relatively large size of the imaging area these media provide, they can record higher resolution images than most consumer digital cameras. Based upon the above pixel density, a medium-format film image can record an equivalent resolution of approximately 83 million pixels in the case of a 60 x 60 mm frame, to 125 million pixels in the case of a 60 x 90 mm frame. In the case of large format, 4 x 5 inch films can record approximately 298.7 million pixels, and 1,200 million pixels in the case of 8 x 10 inch film. However, as with a digital system, poor optical quality of lenses will decrease the resolving potential of a film emulsion.[7][8][9]

Last edited:

acespicoli

Image_formats_by_scope.svg.png

(GIMP user manual English)
Highly Recommend this Software

Last edited:

acespicoli

Even thow a phone might have same size megapixels as a Dslr , the quality is way different due to Sensor size affect quality most and lens quality
decent Dslr and good quality lens , Macro len's will let you get pretty close , But Micro len's will let you get really close . i use a nikon DSLR and extention tubes you can get many close up options for a cheap price , , a cheap canon or nikon with a 50mm lens with set of extention tudes you get plenty of focal length options with excellent quality ,
Ring lights work great for bud shots and close ups , there cheap and produce a good light quality , And an some type editing program for your pics
1705538975023.png

1705539043252.png

1705539236724.png

@Hrpuffnkush takes me awhile to catch up nice !

acespicoli

Difference Between Macro Micro and Close Up Photography​

There is often much confusion amongst new photographers between macro, micro close up difference and how each photography genre differs from one another.
For starters, macro micro photography usually refers to the same thing. Nikon names their range of ‘macro lenses’ with the word ‘micro’. Canon on the other hand, calls them macro lenses. For example, Nikons top macro lens is called AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens. Notice the term micro in that name.
Now for comparisons sake, Canon’s top macro lens is called a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. This time, instead of seeing the term micro, you’ll notice the term macro within the lens name.
macro, micro close up - image ladybug photographed with macro lens

What does macro and micro refer to when it comes to photography?​

The word macro means big, whereas the word micro mean small. So how is it that these two terms related?
If the subject you are photographing is small and you want to make it look big, you end up with a “macro” view of a “micro” subject.

What is macro (micro) photography?​

Macro photography is that which is taken with a dedicated macro lens. A real macro lens has the capability of achieving in the least a 1:1 magnification. Just because a camera has the word macro written on it, doesn’t make it a true macro lens. Both the Nikon and Canon lenses mentioned above, are considered real macro lenses. If you’re not sure how to recognize a real macro lens, you may find an earlier article useful called, What is a real macro lens.

What is close up photography?​

Close up photography is the act of photographing objects such as flowers or insects in close range so the subject you are photographing fills the frame. In other words, it’s the act of photographing subjects close up. This is easily achievable with any lens, even a 300mm telephoto lens.
Macro photography is in essence close up photography as well. However, close up photography is not always considered as true macro photography. For example, if you have a lens that is NOT considered a real macro lens, yet offers a macro setting (as many do nowadays), this is usually referred to as being close up photography, and not true macro.

How to recognize the difference between macro micro close up photography?​

Capturing the finest detail is one of the main differences between macro, micro close up photography.
Macro lenses are expensive for a reason. That being, a true macro lens allows the photographer to capture finer detail than would otherwise have been seen. For example, the hairs on an insects face, or the pattern in its eye.
Take the two photographs below for example. The first image is a very good example of a close up photograph, taken with a Nikon telephoto lens. While the second photograph is a macro shot, allowing for bigger magnification and showing the finest detail.
example of a close up photograph

example of a macro photograph of a dragonfly

Hope this explains the difference between macro micro and close up photography. There is a difference, not only in the gear needed to take each genre, there’s a small difference in the technique each of the photography genre’s require to nail a great shot.

1705539689955.png

acespicoli

Our Best Macro Photography Tips​

Shown below is a set of ten amazing macro images with macro photography tips for the relevant image. Each photograph also includes an explanation of the camera equipment that was used and camera settings.
Many of the images below have been taken with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens, the settings can be reproduced with any real macro lens. You’ll also notice they were photographed with an entry level camera, demonstrating that anyone with a DSLR can shoot awesome macro photographs.

Macro Photography Tips 1. Use a ring flash or twin light flash when shooting macro​

Using a flash will allow you to shoot at a reasonable speed, yet enable you to keep the aperture on a high f/11 for sufficient depth of field. I understand it isn’t always possible for beginner photographers to purchase external flash. However we recommend keeping it in mind for later on.
The photo shown below was shot in a shady part of the garden. Using a Canon Macro Twin Light MT-24EX flash allowed me to keep the aperture on a high f/11 without sacrificing shutter speed (exposure). Having the ability to keep the shutter speed at a fast 1/200th of a second allowed me to capture the moving insect sharply.
It also allowed me to hand hold the camera without the use of a tripod. Like many macro photographers, I find a tripod really restrictive when photographing insects. This is perhaps high on my list of macro photography tips. Hand holding your camera for macro photography makes it easier to nail the shot.
macro example of a hoverfly insect in flight

Photograph of a hoverfly in flight was taken with a Canon 400D SLR entry level camera, a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens and a Canon Macro Twin Light MT-24EX flash.
Exposure (shutter speed): 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 100 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Pattern

Macro Photography Tips 2. Learn to focus manually​

Learn to use manual focus when shooting insects. As the hoverfly was constantly moving, I found turning off the lens AF (automatic focus) function made the job so much easier. If I hadn’t turned this lens setting off, it would have kept swimming or refocusing, making it near impossible to capture a sharp image of the hoverfly.
macro photograph tips - image of a dragonfly face

This macro was taken with a Canon 400D SLR camera, a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens and a Canon Macro Twin Light MT-24EX flash.

Macro Photography Tips 3. Learn to be patient​

Don’t run around like a mad photographer chasing an insect that won’t sit still. In my experience, that doesn’t work! You’ll be surprised how many insects are as curious of you, as you are of them.
I was lucky with this macro shot to have found a curious dragonfly. He sat really still and would allowed me to move in as close as I needed for a detailed macro photo of his whiskers. This also allowed me to keep the camera’s lens set on AF (automatic focus).

Macro Photography Tips 4. Crop images tight for online viewing​

Crop macro images nice and tight, especially for online viewing. The original dragonfly image was cropped with Photoshop CS2 so the dragonflies face takes up the majority of the final composition.
macro photograph of a blue dragonfly

Similar to the first two macro photographs, this one was also taken with a Canon 400D SLR camera and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
ISO Speed: 400
Another important macro photography tip is to learn patience. This dragonfly come up to me as I sat under a tree, so I took the opportunity to take a few shots of it. This is one of my best tips for insect photography. I can’t repeat it enough. Personally, I’ve found it hopeless chasing them around like a mad photographer. That only seems to scare them away. Instead, it’s best to be patient and wait until you find a curious insect that is sitting still.

Macro Photography Tips 5. Extension tubes​

Experiment with extension tubes. Extension tubes are cheaper than you might think. If you view a photographs EXIF data and notice the aperture and focal length are showing as zero (0), chances are the photographer used an extension tube or some piece of equipment that sat between the camera’s body and the lens.
macro water droplet

Playing with water droplets, a Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM lens and extension tubes. For those that don’t know what extension tubes are, they are a plastic tube that sits between your camera’s body and the lens. When using extension tubes, you need to set your lens to MF (manual focus), because the automatic focus won’t work.
Nowadays if you purchase extension tubes that are the same brand as your macro lens, you may be able to keep all the automatic functions (depending on the brand).
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/0
Focal Length: 0 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Flash: Onboard flash fired, as seen in the water drop.

Macro Photography Tips 6. Set shots up​

Another of my important macro photography tips. All the best macro photographers set shots up. This shot of a water droplet was taken with a plastic bag (and a pin hole in it) being held over a fish tank. The camera was then focused past the glass tank and onto the droplet. There is a detailed explanation showing the setup for it at: How to photograph water drops.

Macro Photography Tips 7. When to use a tripod​

Use a tripod if you cannot shoot faster than the length of your lens. For example, this photograph was taken with the use of a tripod and a remote release. Having a slower shutter speed of 1/30th of a second, I wouldn’t have achieved a sharp image if the camera was handheld.
A general rule of thumb for hand held macro shots, is that if your lens is 100mm focal length, then the shutter speed needs to be at least 1/100th of a second or faster to achieve a sharp photograph. Therefore, if you are shooting in a shady spot of the garden, you will need a tripod to achieve great results.
macro photograph showing a snake eye

Photographed with a Canon 400D and a EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. When photographing a friendly carpet snake, it was a great opportunity for a self portrait.
Exposure (shutter speed): 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO Speed: 100

Macro Photography Tips 8. Aperture Settings​

Just because your macro lens can shoot with an aperture of f/2.8 doesn’t mean you should use it. For this shot, the ISO was increased to 400 speed so I could keep the aperture at a higher F number of f/11. This enabled me to get more of the Katydid in sharp focus.
One of the mistakes I did when I first purchased my macro lens, was to keep the F number at a low F2.8 (just because I could). Later on I realized this wasn’t always a good idea, unless you intend on getting just the eye of an insect in focus.
macro photography tips - image of a katydid

Picture of a Katydid photographed with a Canon 400D SLR and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)

Macro Photography Tips 9. Shutter Speed​

When shooting macro, shutter speed is more important than ISO. Because this butterfly was moving around a lot, I increased the camera ISO speed to 400, so I could shoot with a faster shutter speed of 1/500th of a second.
Butterfly macro photograph

This image of a butterfly was photographed with a Nikon D40 camera and a Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens.
Exposure (shutter speed): 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 105 mm

Macro Photography Tips 10. Learn to see​

This is what I’ve always imagined fairyland to be like. However, in actual fact it’s a macro shot of the tiniest moss, found at the bottom of an orchid pot. This is the beauty of macro photography. You get to really appreciate the smaller things in life and see them in a whole different light.
macro photograph tips - image of moss found at the bottom of a plant

The camera was a Canon 400D SLR and the lens a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro.
Exposure (shutter speed): 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/5.6

Macro Photography Tips 11. Never give up​

This is probably the best of all the macro photography tips on this page. Never ever give up! If you don’t photograph the shot you initially want, that’s ok.
In the image below, the only reason the shutter speed is set to a fast 1/640th of a second in this case, is because I was attempting to capture the ladybird as it flies off. However, I wasn’t too successful this time around at getting one in flight. Although it’s still a personal favorite.
macro photography tips - ladybird photograph

Photograph of a ladybird taken with a Canon 400D SLR and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
Exposure (shutter speed): 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/7.1

12. Make good use of backlight​

Make good use of morning sunlight to capture detail not seen otherwise. This particular photograph was taken at 8.30 am in the morning with strong sunlight coming from behind the dragonfly. While many photographers don’t like shooting into the sun, I find when it comes to macro photography, it can often help to highlight an insects tiny hairs. You do need to be careful not to capture lens flare though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Trying numerous angles also helps to find the best position.
macro photography tips - full bodied dragonfly image

Photo of a dragonfly taken with a Canon 400D SLR and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
Sign-up for our online photography course and learn how to master your digital camera in easy to understand “at your own pace” lessons.

@Hrpuffnkush Thank you! :huggg:

acespicoli

At higher magnification, trichomes resemble some kind of mushroom out of your favorite sci-fi movie. Which they may as well be, honestly.

Mic/A Microscopic View
It only gets cooler from there. Ford McCann's Cannabis Under the Microscope: A Visual Exploration of Medicinal Sativa and C. Indica, a dazzling collection of everything "from macro photography to scanning electron microscopy," makes weed seem entirely alien. Check out this cross-section of a cannabis leaf that includes a petiole, one of the little branches that extends off the main stem:

z2rq4y8lnprgfmyhoyup8xr5xr5trktnkut6y3uxgjwnz5xpsni6yehejqb504wn.jpg

Ford McCann/Cannabis Under the Microscope: A Visual Exploration of Medicinal Sativa and C. Indica
And here, on the underside of a leaf, we can see that trichomes come in more than one shape — the spiky, defensive kind, and the squat, round type, which produces more THC:

qn43phbazw1kbhulh3lm496hmv9t2ujagf16jkbxfhqsoyd0akkikahaokufraf3.jpg

Ford McCann/Cannabis Under The Microscope: A Visual Exploration of Medicinal Sativa and C. Indica
Finally, we have the amazing view below of a bud, or cola, where flowers sprout. The concentration and variety of trichomes here is even richer, accounting for the high levels of THC found in this part of cannabis plant.

b8443empau1v9hnyvhdhfhin2t2vhjbe3phbojvno8wblambtv2b9jpiygso2239.jpg

Cannabis Under the Microscope: A Visual Exploration of Medicinal Sativa and C. Indica/Ford McCann

Last edited:

acespicoli

Scientists, in the lab at least, see marijuana differently from growers or users. Like other plants, once you dive into the microworld cannabis looks immensely different from the buds you see online. These amazing pictures which size up the planet’s crystals, trichomes or leafs were taken by Ford McCann and compiled in a book called Cannabis Under The Microscope: A Visual Exploration of Medicinal Sativa and C. Indica. Here are just a couple of the 170 shots you can view in the book. These were taken with both optical and electron scanning microscopes.

cannabis under the microscope

cannabis microscope

cannabis microscope

cannabis microscope

buzzmobile

Veteran
Throw back Tuesday '78
I am a 35mm film man lost in a digital world.
LOL
I lugged a lot of lenses and I miss film canisters.
Balancing ISO and aperture setting is key.
Instant feedback results with digital photos makes adjusting simpler.

I have an Olympus Tough series point and shoot camera that has traveled with me offshore and through jungles that has served me well.
1709466654006.jpeg

1709466714011.jpeg

1709466842705.jpeg

1709466877448.jpeg

acespicoli

~
Nice photos!!!

The film does make a difference some had better richer color rendering capabilities. Think it was the chrome lines added the quality
~~~
Here we go.
Kodak developed the convention of using 'chrome' as the suffix to all color positive films, and 'color' as the suffix to all negative films. Therefore you have Kodachrome and Kodacolor, a positive and negative film.
~~~

Chrome is inspired by the autochrome process, a colouring technique for black-and-white photographs invented by the Lumière brothers in 1903. In the autochrome process, microscopic grains of potato starch dyed red-orange, green and blue-violet act as colour filters.

~~~

RGB...
We really should add a film spec post here glad you mentioned that big (y) up :huggg:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts