What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
An update on my grafted girl 8 weeks into flower. She grew just like any other plant. Zero issues with her.

The whole plant

View Image

Blueberry 1

View Image

Blueberry 2

View Image

Blue Cindy

View Image

Kurple Guerrilla...lowest graft and not getting enough light.

View Image

You sir are my God damn hero!! That is so awesome. I wanna try it now, so bad. I see the key is nice chunky stalks. Did you use grafting sheers or did you make the cuts free hand?

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
You sir are my God damn hero!! That is so awesome. I wanna try it now, so bad. I see the key is nice chunky stalks. Did you use grafting sheers or did you make the cuts free hand?

Thanks! All freehand with a box cutter/razor. If you can root a cutting you can graft cannabis. It's stupid easy.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
One of the blueberry fems on my grafted beast looking tasty.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2017-06-21-22-05-46.jpg
    2017-06-21-22-05-46.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 33

Gry

Veteran
Brings to mind the citrus trees one would see with multiple grafts. I can imagine a grafted cannabis plant would be much more appreciated as a gift.

Darpa

One of the blueberry fems on my grafted beast looking tasty.

View Image

Awesome work BumpBudPuffa! I didn't flower my grafted plants yet but I deceided to let them grow in Monster Plants outside for the summer... Multiple topping. They already have hundred of main branches. All the graft look perfect! I'll post some pic in the summer!

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Awesome work BumpBudPuffa! I didn't flower my grafted plants yet but I deceided to let them grow in Monster Plants outside for the summer... Multiple topping. They already have hundred of main branches. All the graft look perfect! I'll post some pic in the summer!

Thanks Darpa! I can't wait to see your grafts.

zif

Veteran
Anyone else notice a tendency for some scions to autoflower after grafting?

I’ve seen it with different scion genetics on a couple of otherwise healthy bonsai multi-moms (15 different scions on one, just a few on the other).

Pruning the tops might have favored renewed vegetative growth, but they are very hard to get out of the more-than-preflowering but less-than-flowering mode. Root pruning and new soil didn’t seem to have any effect.

I’m curious what approach others would take in this situation!

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Anyone else notice a tendency for some scions to autoflower after grafting?

I’ve seen it with different scion genetics on a couple of otherwise healthy bonsai multi-moms (15 different scions on one, just a few on the other).

Pruning the tops might have favored renewed vegetative growth, but they are very hard to get out of the more-than-preflowering but less-than-flowering mode. Root pruning and new soil didn’t seem to have any effect.

I’m curious what approach others would take in this situation!

I've never had that happen. Wish I had suggestions for you.

Dawgfunk

How did the grafted plants taste? Were their similarities or differences from the original root stock plant?? How bout from the original plant the cut came from?? I have buddies that have been talking about this and just wanna know a little more about what you guys found.

Now that we have had success with getting the plant to successfully take to the rootstock we should now setup expiriemtns with the different rootstocks vs female cutting.

Some of the advantages the main one in cannabis being that you can, if limited by numbers, have a single mother plant but have multiple strains on her to keep your selection up for clones but not worry about having to keep a mother plant of every strain.

In one of my classes ( i am currently trying to work towards my horticulture degree ) we have just begun to dig deeper into the grafting process and purpose more then usual as its a specialty class so we get deeper into the tech and the reasons behind why its implemented.

So awhile back there was a huge pathological break out and wiped out tons and tons of our citrus crops. It was so bad that the state and university system stepped in and took control of the citrus program. Now if you purchase a citrus tree from somewhere it comes from a certified clean program. One of the California Agricultural based Colleges developed a program where they quarantined and isolated clean specimen and from there mothered them out and now all cuttings or trees are verified clean and come from this program. Also by them taking this program on has allowed them to expiriment with new techniques and to create and catalog new phenos.

In citrus growing as well as many other types of fruit trees they are mothered out ( some people dont realize that you dont just plant seeds and get all of our fruits... just try and plant one of those apple seeds from the middle of your apple which also goes to show you that johhny appleseed is a myth and clearly didnt go around planting apple seeds everywhere becuase the majority of apple phenotypes are discusting and some are even poison.. apples are grown essentially from clones) and they are grafted onto rootstock ( they have tested all kinds of varities and they have found a number of great rootstocks to use) they have gone through and tested to see which plants work the best as rootstock just like they go through and select for the fruit.

The purpose of this whole novel is that in this testing they have noticed that different rootstocks do different things for the plants... a certain species of lime is used for the rootstock and a Mandarin is grafted onto it they then compare that plants fruit compared to that of a different rootstock and the same mandrin, yet when taken to the lab and tested its verifiably different. The ones that are placed on the lime rootstock produces higher sugar content and a higher juice concentration as well as speeds up the harvest time by almost 2 weeks and the lime also contributes its resistance to some type of bug that i guess usually goes pretty hard after mandarins. The same thing happens to other fruits as well im just using the mandarin as an example as i was looking into purcharsing some for my property and came across the whole university program and shit ( they will send you cuttings of whatever you choose from their list for no cost if your a lowcost household or if you dont qualify they only charge you 50 cents a cutting and you dont have to pay for them till a couple months later to make sure everything was successful. SO i wonder if different strains will have the same affect for the rootstock and i also wonder if using a male vs female for rootstock will play a role in anything. Once my shop is setup and i get rolling after loosing everytthing to these wildfires i will be more then will to help.. just need to get my genepool back up after loosing all my ladies with the house and shop..

its late and im not spellchecking all those damn errors up there i can see lmao i will tomorrow.. sorry not sorry :D

zif

Veteran
Chemotype seems completely unaffected by grafting. I.e., the flowers are indistinguishable from own-root clones. Maybe absolute amounts are changed, but the profile seems stable.

I think the ‘autoflowering’ I asked about below shows that some scion - rootstock pairings may work better than others. As far as I can tell, it must be from different baseline sensitivities to circulating plant hormones.

I suspect that certain rootstocks may be able to reduce scion nutrient sensitivities (e.g., high Mg demand may be decreased by pairing these scions with more efficient rootstocks), but also that some rootstocks could poorly support most scions. So vigor and yield are probably something that good rootstock choices could improve.

zif

Veteran
Some of the advantages the main one in cannabis being that you can, if limited by numbers, have a single mother plant but have multiple strains on her to keep your selection up for clones but not worry about having to keep a mother plant of every strain.

This is an advantage in flowering, too.

Three of eight varieties on one rootstock:
picture.php

Betterhaff

Veteran
Chemotype seems completely unaffected by grafting. I.e., the flowers are indistinguishable from own-root clones. Maybe absolute amounts are changed, but the profile seems stable.

I think the ‘autoflowering’ I asked about below shows that some scion - rootstock pairings may work better than others. As far as I can tell, it must be from different baseline sensitivities to circulating plant hormones.

I suspect that certain rootstocks may be able to reduce scion nutrient sensitivities (e.g., high Mg demand may be decreased by pairing these scions with more efficient rootstocks), but also that some rootstocks could poorly support most scions. So vigor and yield are probably something that good rootstock choices could improve.
In the grafting of fruit trees, for example dwarf fruit trees, roots stocks are selected that will control size. They are also selected for hardiness and resistance. As mentioned, there is no genetic altering in regards the growth produced by the scion. But with some varieties (target), scion growth may not perform well with certain root stocks so selection is still necessary to get the optimum match.

Interesting to see how this might apply to cannabis. Broadleaf rootstock to narrow leaf scion, Rootstock that likes root bound, etc.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
just a tangent on johnny appleseed:

johnny likely wan't planting apples for eating, rather he was probably planting apples for CIDER!

strong booze was a valuable commodity in pioneering times, antiseptic, analgesic, and intoxicant.

as i was told it johnny appleseed would travel west ahead of the majority of the settlers and plant a nursery of apple trees. then he'd sell them off when people moved in. in the meantime he'd be making cider.

ol' timey hustle :good:

would these nasty apples be able to be used for them or do they have to have good tasting apples to make good cider? some phenos have the potential to be harmful/poisonous to humans from the start, would the cider process overcome that as well? never looked into the cider process so they're genuine questions my bruddahh

Budley Doright

Veteran
just a tangent on johnny appleseed:

johnny likely wan't planting apples for eating, rather he was probably planting apples for CIDER!

strong booze was a valuable commodity in pioneering times, antiseptic, analgesic, and intoxicant.

as i was told it johnny appleseed would travel west ahead of the majority of the settlers and plant a nursery of apple trees. then he'd sell them off when people moved in. in the meantime he'd be making cider.

ol' timey hustle :good:

Yup....thats a good start but you missed some of the best stuff.........

Its true.... the colonials did in fact make use of the cider to get drunk on..... but it was a booze called apple jack...

Apple jack is made thru simple freeze distillation.....

NOrmally a man might have a barrel of cider..... during the dead of winter..... and with a tap at the bottom of the barrel...... the man would catch the non frozen cider the water simply turned to ice3

The treasure was the non frozen apple jack.....

If Im not mistaken this was george washingtons favorite drink....

He actually was known to produce apple jack and had written a distiller friend for the recipe.....

In the bible there is the story of adam eve and the apple....

Nope....wrong again...... most likely the fruit was said to be an apple due to apple jack....

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i attempted my first graft a few days ago. i did a v wedge graft using a corey stardawg scion on a gg4 rootstock.

i made the graft on a young branch rather than the main stem. i used some clips a friend gave me and bagged the scion for humidity.

i have pulled the plant out of direct light for the first few days. i’m nervous to unwrap it to check the scar but i can see thru the bag that the scion is relatively healthy.

thanks to the thread contributors for the guidance!

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
i attempted my first graft a few days ago. i did a v wedge graft using a corey stardawg scion on a gg4 rootstock.

i made the graft on a young branch rather than the main stem. i used some clips a friend gave me and bagged the scion for humidity.

i have pulled the plant out of direct light for the first few days. i’m nervous to unwrap it to check the scar but i can see thru the bag that the scion is relatively healthy.

thanks to the thread contributors for the guidance!
Good luck!