What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Genetic Observations

This is interesting to me, as i am also working on a project with what i believe is a semi dwarf plant.
Thankyou for supplying the link to the paper on this topic, i have been reading with much fascination.
This plant i am referring too, is a sativa dominant hybrid. Her
genetics are Rays choice by kiwi seeds x (rays choice x golden tiger original by Ace seeds).
I produced these seeds in 2016, and i have grown many in that time. 2 main phenos appear. The rarer is the malawi pheno with clumpy flower clusters, the other is a very narrow leaf variety with more spear shaped colas. Both types however can grow very large and can overwhelm any grower not prepared for the stretch and duration of growth.
Last year a short stature plant showed itself amongst a group i had started. I treated as per normal for these varieties, that is topping the main trunk after the 4th internode pair. Because of her shortness, instead of building a horizontal base for the plant to grow from, i let it grow upwards without further control techniques. She stretched for 9 weeks under 11/13 photoperiod, but only grew to 100 cm tall. Amazing!
In addition to the short stature, other phenotypic traits include reduced thickness of the trunk, branches and twigs. Also increased apparent density of the branches, as they are much more difficult to cut. Other physiological changes are also apparent , including a reduced tolerance for fertilizer, and differences in seed sprouting for the F1 compared to "normal" seeds.
To discover how these traits could be passed onto future generations, i crossed this plant with a pure sativa (malawi x panama f1) from Ace. Of the seeds i sprouted from the crossing, no short stature plants appeared leading me to conclude several possibilities.
1. The trait is an unrepeatable fluke.
2. The trait is controlled by a mutated recessive gene.
3. The trait is controlled by polygenic inheritance.
I selected a male F1 and backcrossed him to the "dwarf" plant anf the f2 seeds are currently developing nicely.
More experiments in a few months!

Pictured is the plant in full flower. 2nd plant is a clone in seed production. 3rd pic is the f1 male i used. After a 5 day veg period, he stretched for 7 weeks under an 11/13 photoperiod, and grew to 140cm in a 3 liter pot. RCGT7-132D .jpg RCGT7-a.jpg DCMP7-3.jpg

acespicoli

Like SamS told me one day, population genetics is the struggle we face as cannabis hobbiest.
He asked the question how many people do you know that can plant a field of 10,000 plants?

With small numbers we risk losing these special traits with every reproduction... short version

What we can do is keep cuttings and bx
To stack the dwarf sativa trait to better suit indoor growing

The whole indica/sativa class comes down to
A: effect thc/cbd chemo type
B: wild/domesticated
Leaf narrow or skinny.... etc
Of course if you growing thc there a main focus

Its adventageous for a wild plant to stretch in competition for light among other plants. Short domesticates leaves will widen and the seed structure will change due to selection.

To save 200+ seed
on the first run would be wise
A dwarf male... thats unusual in its self
A Single grain of pollen

I have seen some single pole males stack tight internodes without much stretch, with stalked glands... how much they pass to the female 🤷‍♂️
GCA general combining ability remains to be seen.

In mandelian genetics you didnt get what you expected, id guess a male trait or a recessive since females are the doiminant traits selected for, and with sativa ... did you smoke sample the male? For cbd id try that as well if it shows again... things we do for breeding, smoking leaf... :)
Just selecting a line for a single trait is work?
Stem rub for terpene profile?
Best Luck hope to see more!
Thanks for sharing
:huggg:

Id take a dwarf indica looking plant that smelled and smoked like my favorite wild sativa any day right ?
Outdoors would it yield 5-15 lbs ?
Indoor Outdoor and Greenhouse :thinking:

Last edited:

gorilla ganja

I'm interested in this topic as well. Thanks so much, @acespicoli, for posting the paper on Dwarf germplasm.
I'd like to see what you have been working on. It would be nice to see a list of varieties that might be suited to this type of breeding.

Peace GG

What we can do is keep cuttings and bx
To stack the dwarf sativa trait to better suit indoor growing

Id take a dwarf indica looking plant that smelled and smoked like my favorite wild sativa any day right ?
Outdoors would it yield 5-15 lbs ?
Indoor Outdoor and Greenhouse :thinking:
I'm guessing by stacking the dwarf traits you are implying the genetic basis is polygenic? I can't say one way or the other yet, need more evidence imo. I am hopeful it may be controlled by Mendelian genetics. Certainly, it is not a single gene dominant. My research with dwarf rice and other plants indicates these plants are often controlled by recessive inheritance. Time will tell.

Regarding this trait in indicas, I have already made seed with 2 phenos of gorilla glue, a kosher cookies and a Chiquita banana plant. I am near retirement and looking for a project..... :)

Lugo

Veteran
Small plants ive grown and come across among Colombian landrace and my MBSkunk landrace hybrid.

I personally think most plants can be manipulated into a dwarf style plant with container size, light spectrum manipulation, elevation and nutrition but yes, if you grow enough of them your bound to run into one eventually.

And they are very cute too 😍

Attachments

• received_302680815619950.jpeg
    received_302680815619950.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 20
  • received_1101017767759757.jpeg
    received_1101017767759757.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
  • a3b79c51-6742-461a-a985-9c1a00daec8borca_share_media.jpeg
    a3b79c51-6742-461a-a985-9c1a00daec8borca_share_media.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 25
  • received_1132904717329795.jpeg
    received_1132904717329795.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 23
  • received_923847985481100.jpeg
    received_923847985481100.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230705_125730_979.jpg
    IMG_20230705_125730_979.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 26

acespicoli

So what was that scumbag doing all that time. Coulda swore they claimed they were doing work breeding Cannabis. Yet here we are. Everyone's weed smells like fucking shoes and we pretend it's skunk. Great leaps and bounds this ass fucker has taken the world.

If you wanna know what hes been doing.
You should ask him, dont want to answer for him, hes perfectly able to address your questions himself :huggg:

Maybe youd like to share some of your breeding work here ?

Latest posts

Latest posts