What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Extraction Solvent Safety - An Evidence Based Study

MimiEMU

Hi Everyone,

This past March, I published a study on the use of solvents for making Cannabis Extract, ie FECO/RSO, at home. The reason? To bring a deeper understanding to the consumer world which is spinning in a whirlpool of mis-information regarding solvent residual traces in the final product. One side extolls religious ferverancy that Ethanol should only be used for extractions. But what do the numbers say? Here we look at the biology of the solvents then the medical standards within government regulations that define what is considered safe.

So for everyone with an opinion on the solvent wars, keep an open mind to what you are about to discover.
https://www.cannabishomesciences.com/solvents/solvent-safety

Edit: Oh forgot to say, though this is U.S. specific by quoting numbers from the FDA, the residual solvent limits are almost the same around the world as these standards are supported by the World Health Organization member nations.

Last edited:

So Hai

Interesting read. I was thinking that you could expand on solvent recovery - both concerning equipment with links and how to use, as well as perhaps a short guide for vacuum filtration.

MimiEMU

Why would anyone use solvents at all anymore?
More importantly why would anyone use them?
Here in the States a fair number of medical patients use solvent extraction to make their meds. A year ago, I published 'Refined x Cannabis Extract', an advanced way of making oil at home. The short elevator speech is 'You can now take 2oz dried plant and make winterized, decarbed oil in 2-3 hours vs 2-3 days using only kitchen gear'. This oil reaches base line distillate potency. My last 2 lab tests came in a 80.2% and 80.4% Total Cannabinoids. So, its a fast way to very potent meds and it's clean enough to be vaped.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Here in the States a fair number of medical patients use solvent extraction to make their meds. A year ago, I published 'Refined x Cannabis Extract', an advanced way of making oil at home. The short elevator speech is 'You can now take 2oz dried plant and make winterized, decarbed oil in 2-3 hours vs 2-3 days using only kitchen gear'. This oil reaches base line distillate potency. My last 2 lab tests came in a 80.2% and 80.4% Total Cannabinoids. So, its a fast way to very potent meds and it's clean enough to be vaped.

I can press the same plant into rosin in 15 minutes or conversely tumble it and then press the kieff for a full melt solvent free product.
I am in Montana and in the industry have been for a long time now.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Why would anyone use solvents at all anymore?
More importantly why would anyone use them?

pretty sure Graywolf has some some good advice on a clean extraction with solvents….

gonna fire up the press soon mon soon

i need a small tumbler , any suggestions would be appreciated….

IMG_0419.jpeg

MimiEMU

I can press the same plant into rosin in 15 minutes or conversely tumble it and then press the kieff for a full melt solvent free product.
I am in Montana and in the industry have been for a long time now.
Sounds good. I like ROSIN presses, gotta add that to the processes to the website along with bubble hash. Wasn't sure what this group's favorite method of extraction. Funny thing, I got the same reaction from a forum down in Austrailia but they favored open blasting BHO! Now that's living life on the edge.

So, once you get a pile of pucks, you could use the RxCE method for the final extraction. What do you normally do with your pucks?

CharlesU Farley

Hi Everyone,

This past March, I published a study on the use of solvents for making Cannabis Extract, ie FECO/RSO, at home. The reason? To bring a deeper understanding to the consumer world which is spinning in a whirlpool of mis-information regarding solvent residual traces in the final product. One side extolls religious ferverancy that Ethanol should only be used for extractions. But what do the numbers say? Here we look at the biology of the solvents then the medical standards within government regulations that define what is considered safe.

So for everyone with an opinion on the solvent wars, keep an open mind to what you are about to discover.
https://www.cannabishomesciences.com/solvents/solvent-safety

Edit: Oh forgot to say, though this is U.S. specific by quoting numbers from the FDA, the residual solvent limits are almost the same around the world as these standards are supported by the World Health Organization member nations.
I've done both ETOH and BHO and generally prefer BHO. The Extractcraft machine was pretty effective, but I just knew it wasn't going to last long because of the motor, so I sent it back.

Don't have time now, but I've saved the link and we'll read it later. Thanks for posting!

EastCoastGambit

For those that press which admittedly I have little experience with, hopefully not hijacking the thread but just curious. Are those micron bags vinyl? Could micro plastic enter the end product via heat and high pressure?

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
pretty sure Graywolf has some some good advice on a clean extraction with solvents….

gonna fire up the press soon mon soon

i need a small tumbler , any suggestions would be appreciated….

View attachment 18990072
I use one of these now days.
Had it for a couple years with zero issues.
So much easier this way imo.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Sounds good. I like ROSIN presses, gotta add that to the processes to the website along with bubble hash. Wasn't sure what this group's favorite method of extraction. Funny thing, I got the same reaction from a forum down in Austrailia but they favored open blasting BHO! Now that's living life on the edge.

So, once you get a pile of pucks, you could use the RxCE method for the final extraction. What do you normally do with your pucks?
I use them in coconut oil for old dogs aches and pains works amazingly well.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
For those that press which admittedly I have little experience with, hopefully not hijacking the thread but just curious. Are those micron bags vinyl? Could micro plastic enter the end product via heat and high pressure?
Nylon is a plastic so my bet is yes.

Nothing safe about the currant Marijuana industry. Dudes be adding chemicals to chemicals with fraudulent chemical backgrounds. Not cool. Growing weed is a chemical reaction from beginning to end. Your can't go adding random shit at any point. Pharma grade extract will be made with industrial sized spore collectors.

It's been submitted that the entire industry should be stripped from the pothead dope dealing crowd and handed over to pharma producer's exclusively. They have all the ammo to make that happen at the snap of a neck.

Solvents? It's 2024
I grow bud harvest. make water hash. freeze dry it then smash it. I harvest early because the color is everything when it comes to terp Flavors. Rosin is the only way to go. I'm guilty of butane and coffee filters in pvc as well. if you have a passion for artisan product you need experience and equipment. When I started frenchy conoli was making the fire. got some tips from him but only experience can make you a pro. temps, microns, age of bud etc etc.
Rosin is the way to go. Good Luck