What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I suspect you are to late to find untouched landraces in Jamaica, but yes, if you find them you can drop them off.
Good luck. Ask for old dead seeds pre 70's we can still get the DNA and they just might be pure Jamaican.....
-SamS

I will be heading to Jamaica soon, I will ask a few people for the Landrace you require, maybe I can drop them off the next time I am in Amsterdam?

M

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
thank you Sam.
not exactly what I expected, but then I didn't know what to expect so i'm not disappointed.
just using a punnet square I would expect 25% certainty (or uncertainty) of similarity not sameness (in model of 2 plants, no other contributors. add other donors and probabilities are exponential), punnet square infers at least three differential aspects.
for them to be identical the pollens dna must all be identical and I don't think that's happening, particularly when open-pollination occurs in a natural setting.

just thinking outside my abilities. thanks again.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
thank you Sam.
not exactly what I expected, but then I didn't know what to expect so i'm not disappointed.
just using a punnet square I would expect 25% certainty (or uncertainty) of similarity not sameness (in model of 2 plants, no other contributors. add other donors and probabilities are exponential), punnet square infers at least three differential aspects.
for them to be identical the pollens dna must all be identical and I don't think that's happening, particularly when open-pollination occurs in a natural setting.

just thinking outside my abilities. thanks again.

I am not sure I understood your question before, I think I agree with your statement above.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am pretty sure we have a lab in the Netherlands that will help with the project, I am 99% sure. That will allow us to use live seeds for DNA extractions and even leafs. A leaf is best as it is cheaper and easier and faster and better DNA results then a dead seed. Also better then a live seed, which while better then a dead seed still is more time consuming then a leaf. The leaf can be dead and dry.
Sending live extracted DNA to the USA will allow faster, cheaper, better results, sounds much better for the work.
If anyone has landrace DNA we want it, dead or alive.
Thanks for the help....

-SamS

Last edited:
I suspect you are to late to find untouched landraces in Jamaica, but yes, if you find them you can drop them off.
Good luck. Ask for old dead seeds pre 70's we can still get the DNA and they just might be pure Jamaican.....
-SamS

I wasn't expecting untouched landraces from Jamaica, but I am collecting for a project, I have a contact in the stan who will be bringing me back what he says is 5 or 600 seeds. I will let you know when I am ready to send some over, likely August.

M

ozza

Veteran
No it is a strain. It is called Mongy Madness or Bindi over here. I know of a few people that have crosses, like one that is called, the straight leafed skunk plant. The original is succulent like in leaf nature and has no serration. There are many thoughts as to where it originated. It could have been brought over by the Australian aboriginals, it could escaped from early settlers or The Hunter Valley crop, it could be a mutant from them spraying the hunter valley wild cannabis or it might just be an experiment? It would be interesting if you could get your hands on the original, maybe you could sort out the legend.

If they were to send you DNA do they then own the DNA? Can this help establish ownership later?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No, we have nothing to do with anyone owning any of the DNA, or with anything to do with any Plant registration or Patents involving samples sent us, we will not do it. All we want is the info from the DNA to understand the family relationships and evolution and to construct a Cannabis family tree. Where did Jamaican, or Colombian, or Mexican originate? Where did African drug/hemp varieties originate? India or elsewhere? I am interested to see what we can learn.

Do you have it? Mongy Madness or Bindi?
By it I mean unhybridized, we want the original landrace, not a hybrid made by man or nature.
Are all the seeds grown of this variety when pure, plants with no serration?
I will be happy to get any seeds dead or alive, or even a dead leaf can be used to extract the DNA and sequence it.
-SamS

Last edited:

ozza

Veteran
No, we have nothing to do with anyone owning any of the DNA, or with anything to do with any Plant registration or Patents involving samples sent us, we will not do it. All we want is the info from the DNA to understand the family relationships and evolution and to construct a Cannabis family tree. Where did Jamaican, or Colombian, or Mexican originate? Where did African drug/hemp varieties originate? India or elsewhere? I am interested to see what we can learn.
Cheers!
Do you have it? Mongy Madness or Bindi?
By it I mean unhybridized, we want the original landrace, not a hybrid made by man or nature.
no I have only held hybrids
Are all the seeds grown of this variety when pure, plants with no serration?
yes, it is really strange and this is the highlight of it.
I will be happy to get any seeds dead or alive, or even a dead leaf can be used to extract the DNA and sequence it.
-SamS

I'm going get my mate to link this thread to Oz Stoners if I can and see if this entices the holder to part with a leaf or a piece.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Mowgli Holmes PhD Co-Founder & Chief Scientific Officer from Phylos Bioscience will drop by to visit me in Amsterdam in a few days and collect the latest samples I have to extract the DNA from, for sending to the USA for sequencing, I think we will be using a lab in the Netherlands to extract the DNA for us, so that now we can extract DNA from live seeds, or leaves live or dead, and just send the legal extracted DNA to the USA. A much better set up as the quality of the DNA, time to extract DNA, and costs will be even better from leaves.
He will also show me the very first results we have from the first round of sequenced samples. I will try to get him to post them online as soon as he can. Exciting times!
If anyone has any landrace seeds live or dead, or leaves I want them. I can use any and all Ganja, Hashish, Hemp, Wild, landrace varieties, just PM me.
-SamS

ozza

Veteran
I've known the holder of mongyweed for years - if you can get it out of him good fuckin on ya coz i havent yet

maybe he might do a leaf for science sake. He is pretty protective of it, but I know of a guy in Qld. that has the same thing and calls it bindi.

Ganja baba

Veteran
I've got so much to donate seeds from1974 on wards I have the original sssc breeder seeds a lot won't germ , Sam your orginal seeds I believe , skunks and hazes , it's so cool you can use dead seeds , I have old ed seeds from when he was in Amsterdam , I hope toget some to you guys , great prodject indeed

Ganja baba

Veteran
Hey Sam can you use seeds that I have tried to germinate but they were dead , I want to plant a lot of my old stock and it would be good to send you the seeds I can't get to germ , I would send them all this way as they will have no use for me ?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Let me know the varieties and I will say if they can be of use or not.
-SamS

Hey Sam can you use seeds that I have tried to germinate but they were dead , I want to plant a lot of my old stock and it would be good to send you the seeds I can't get to germ , I would send them all this way as they will have no use for me ?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
We have not run pollen yet but send some in and I will try, what do you have? Landrace? Live or dead?
PM me. You need the questions to answer and the address? Just ask me.

-SamS

Just seeds and leaf samples or is pollen of any use too?

Last edited:

Chrondiddle O

Veteran
I'm sorry Sam I haven't sent the S.African seeds I mentioned to you yet.I've had a load of 'real world' BS to deal with,but I will do it asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts