What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Connoisseurs' Obsession with Potency?

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're as old as I am, and you've smoked enough mid-grade S- - T as i have, you'll become a chaser of taste. That's first and foremost for me. With us growers, we get to be picky, so we can choose what we want to grow based on what we're looking for. I'm basically an all day toker, so I don't need to be wasted through the day. I got very lucky when I first started to grow about 4 years ago. I had a Skunk #1 that smelled like perfume. I couldn't believe it, and tasted just as good. I'm still chasing that taste to this day.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Horus,
"Wine isn't grown for potency, it's grown for taste."

Wrong, most wine produced on earth is cheap, and most people would not make or drink it if it had no alcohol, You are confusing a few connoisseurs with the masses of drunken louts. And yes they drink it to get a buzz, many people that drink regularly can conceal the effects, but they are intoxicated, drunk. Don't fool yourself.
Cannabis is the same, sometimes people want just a toke, other times they want to be baked-out, but the effects are not the same as alcohol.
When was the last time a person that smoked to much, threw up on you, started a fight, smashed their car, pissed in their pants, and passed out on the front lawn?
But I am sure they were a wine connoiseur, so it's ok. Anyway they wont remember last night so everything is just fine...

-SamS

Last edited:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Wrong, most wine produced on earth is cheap, and most people would not make or drink it if it had no alcohol, You are confusing a few connoisseurs with the masses of drunken louts. And yes they drink it to get a buzz, many people that drink regularly can conceal the effects, but they are intoxicated, drunk. Don't fool yourself.
Cannabis is the same, sometimes people want just a toke, other times they want to be baked-out, but the effects are not the same as alcohol.
When was the last time a person that smoked to much, threw up on you, started a fight, smashed their car, pissed in their pants, and passed out on the front lawn?
But I am sure they were a wine connoiseur, so it's ok. Anyway they wont remember last night so everything is just fine...

-SamS

Yeah,that!!! :laughing:

Last edited:
C

CheifnBud2

If i can find a nice tasting, creeper stone sativa its the best conneseur weed.

Weed is known to get you high, and give you a tolerance therefore you want to enjoy the experience every time and not become stupified or too sleepy with every type of weed you smoke.

Connesours of wine wouldent like it too much if they drink one glass of good tasting wine and feel super groggy and have to sleep.

Potency is important to a point in alcohol or cannabis conneseurs. But either way potency is sometimes sacrificed for flavor or quality of product.

Last edited:

Gnomad

I agree that water sifted hash is not as strong as dry sifted. Because of the terpenoid loss in the water.
But to be honest I smoke dry sift, not water hash.
I have never found a plant that I prefer the herbal buds to the cleaned up dry sift resin.
But I do hear what you say.
If you look you can find varieties that made with water the resin is almost as good as the dry sift, they seem to lose less terpenoids in the water, maybe they have less water soluble terpenoids in the first place.

-SamS
We really need to talk. Missing the boat on ThcV completely. This is medicine, not to be smoked for goodness sakes, no. Thcv ends PTSD, type ll diabetes, restores lung function and allows people with copd, to walk around without being tethered or even need o2... and that is not all this cannabinoid can do.

So, please stop about the high from smoking. If you desire the near psychedelic high .... just take pure Thcv and mix up oils ... away you go. Mix at your own trial and error. No matter what cannabinoid one takes, Hippocrates is satisfied, No harm first nor at all with cannabinoid therapy. In the right and knowledgeable hands !!! If you were my Dr. and told me to smoke? Bubbye.

We need the plants first, doing that in Twentynine Palms CA. Any hints on growing a S African landrace sativa in the Mohave desert? Have a good grower but this needs extra care... the medicine it makes will revolutionize health care being even my wildest visions. Having an apothecary with all primary and secondary cannabinoids, targeting individuals with holistic healing, systemically. We have diagnosticians, trained people to administer, protocols mapped out, we have everything... except the material. Getting cannabinoid treatment in hospital, paid for by Medicaid Medicare insurances and just available . Imagine the losses to our number one cause of illnesses / big pharmafia! Who would choose pills that will never improve the condition, give you more grief in side effects, over natural remedies that work? The answer to that, sad. Brainwashed by the ama, well we know better.
To recap, we need thcv. Ask me anything, the science is done, just need a bunch of folk to help get it on.
This is maybe my mission to be carried out alone, but it is what I am doing, till I can't.
And they thought CBD was impressive? It is when mixed to proper ratio of cbd to the same principal. ThcV mixed with xyz cannabinoid s produces an entirely different affect.
Everyone has an endocannabinoid system to be sure, but everyone has individual needs at various times. That the science miss what ends which disease is incredibly good! Prohibition and playing me away with our medicine? Whole different gigg, that is unconstitutional, and murder.
That's why California, have a few civil rights left.
Talk with me on thcv

Azeotrope

Veteran
I spent several years working through many selections of a particularly potent strain - Johnny Blaze - and really focused on finding the right balance of potency to lifestyle....... The fact was that my two final and favorite selections were of a cross I made with 3 JB females and a very special Sweet Blue male.

One of the final two was dark purple/black, smelled of mixed berries (sweet), yielded very well and was very easy to smoke and still be functional. Good happy high, decent for my osteoarthritis, relaxing and long lasting. Not hugely potent in terms of blowing your skull open. Taste was amazing.

The other was off the scale in raw crazy party sativa potency, lemon/spicy and medium yielding. It had no place in my life from day to day but, had a few fans (friends & family) that could smoke it and they would run through their day happy as could be. I would smoke it and attempt to do great stuff only to find myself diverging between tangents for hours.

Had to take a break due to life (divorce and other considerations) and I am now starting simple again with a very good NL. I expect the excellent phenos to be on in mid to high (not above 20-22% if lucky) range in terms of THC % but, am hoping for the total package. Some Relief of my OA pain, a nice clean high, that piney smell and good flavor. If Johnny Blaze was still around (I gifted 200 seeds from my work and all my clones to a friend in 2013 and they were lost), I would certainly grow it. If I had my favorite NL5xNevHaze cut, I would certainly be running them as I really love sativas. I just wouldn't smoke them all the time.

Raw Potency is relative to me these days and much less of a consideration. Type of high, pain relief, aroma and flavor are all getting much more consideration for my personal use and that of my wife's.

meizzwang

I know wine connoisseurs don't drink to get drunk (generalization here, not universally true).

I know that cannabis connoisseurs do in fact toke to get baked (another generalization, as obviously there are a fair number of us who do not).

My question was why do wine folks NOT drink for inebriation (generally) but cannabis folks do.

Dig

I think wine snobs in general drink for both flavor and to get slightly intoxicated, but not drunk. Similarly, some cannabis snobs smoke just to get into a comfortable, altered state of mind, but they don't want to get blasted. They seek the best flavors, smooth smoke, and quality effects.

When alcohol was illegal, producers didn't care about quality, they could sell anything they could produce, so long as it gets you drunk. Under prohibition, consumers rarely get to choose. There are far more addicts than snobs, so the black market focuses on where the demand is: high alcohol content.

The second alcohol became legal,you had the option to be a snob since you could choose what you like: you can get plastered, or you can sip on amazing flavors. with so many choices, competition drives producers to stand out from each other, and one way to do that is via flavor.

I think the cannabis scene is parallel: Legality is one of the many factors that is changing what consumers demand. When snobs have options, they get tired of being really stoned and resort to seeking quality highs and amazing flavors.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
"THCV is psychoactive at doses of 50mg!"

https://lulacbd.shop/collections/concentrates/products/buy-thcv-isolate
"THCV is "like a super sativa."
THCV, or tetrahydrocannabivarin, is a compound in cannabis that offers a unique array of effects and medical benefits that sets it apart from other cannabinoids like THC and CBD. It is known to produce a more motivated, alert and energizing feeling of euphoria. For this reason, it is often recommended for daytime or any time when functionality is important.

THCV (THV) Isolate