What's new

Cannabis Cats

Betterhaff

Veteran
Anchor some chicken wire on the pot surface.

Yeah, my kitty loves to do her business in the vegetable garden. I used to plant rows of lettuce and spinach early but not anymore with her around. I was going to put some chicken wire on top of the bed but that’s a pain as I slowly plant other things, peppers and tomatoes, as the greens get thinned and harvested. Now I just broadcast the seed, it’s what it ends up looking like if I plant in rows anyways, lol.

brown_thumb

My cannabis cats are having too much fun digging up houseplants and pooping in the houseplant soil.

That's OK if it's just a house-plant ... but I wanted to move some Cannabis girls into the same room.

The kitties already nuked one clone in a bag. Somehow they got interested in the soil and the fact that it was in a bag didn't stop them. They didn't break the bag, but the clone was history.

When I move the Cannabis into larger pots I might need to pave the top surface with a round piece of plywood or some bigger rocks.

Is there some chemical they put in Kitty Litter to make it attractive to the cats ? I'm amazed what people are paying - $16 for a 20 pound bag of sand at Walmart ?

My official kitty litter is sand in a large (but not tall) plastic pan, about 15x20. They use it a lot ... but then they go digging in the house-plants.

If only they would focus all that energy on catching house-flies.

What about using those round discs they make to put around the base of small trees and shrubs? The ones I've seen are made from recycled rubber. They could be trimmed smaller to fit the pots.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Tree-rings-Mulch-Mulch-rock-soil-Outdoors/4294612787

I wonder if those could be used to control fungus gnats too.....

St. Phatty

Good suggestions !

Lowe's is charging $15 for a 24 inch diameter.

I don't have a band saw. I cut 1/4 inch plywood with a utility knife. The desert island version of carpentry.

It would take me an hour to mark & cut a disc for a 3 gallon pot.

Good application for a CNC cutter - water-jet, laser, end-mill.

Will end up using the 'buckets of small rocks' approach. As long as the kitty litter is the easiest to dig in, and the house-plants the second easiest. Hopefully a cobble-stone looking top for the Cannabis plants will keep them lower down on the Cannabis Cats play list.

brown_thumb

I'll bet those round mats could be trimmed with a strong set of kitchen shears but I don't know. I'll bet the porous construction would do a good job of holding onto DE too, provided one is careful not to water the whole thing and washing it out.

St. Phatty

Basically the cat's liking for plants forces me to do more prep work up front, e.g. putting them in 3 gallon pots, with rocks or something to protect the roots from the cat's.

And the plants like that ! The cat-proofing process seems to work out in the plants benefit.

One of the Cannabis Cats has a habit that is kind of gross and funny. He crawls on the Turd-on-newspaper level of the bird-cage (it's open so the birds can fly around) and eats the food pellets that have been spilled onto the newspaper.

Sort of like the Cannabis Cat equivalent of eating beer nuts or something. Even wierder at 2 AM in the morning when there is this crunching sound and there is the Cannabis Cat acting very stoned, plowing his way slowly through the spilled bird food. It's very disgusting to look at - yet he is obviously super-happy.

Yet he won't touch bird food if you offer it to him in a dish. It has to be spilled, surrounded by mine-fields of bird turds.

Somehow he still ends up tuxedo clean, after all that turd-crawling.

never any digging in the pots, but few weeks ago i found her sleeping on an old pot of dirt that had a houseplant in it, stealing fan leaves every day in veg, in flower she tries but doesnt like the taste and looks at me angry

Sunshineinabag

Felines are my family! I find them to be a perfect match for my cynical ass!
I have three I rescued from crack heads.

This is tigger the tiger, he likes bringing home "parts" of his kills and leaving them on my front steps. Such a nice dude eh!?:comfort:

There's been a few times where I've caught my cats in the middle of the grow room getting some tanning time. Idk why but they are drawn to 5000k
By the way farmers, if got cats.......are growing ANYTHING that requires soil or mediums to thrive.......please plant some catnip as well! I have plenty of catnip seeds if needed........cough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 63

St. Phatty

Felines are my family! I find them to be a perfect match for my cynical ass!
I have three I rescued from crack heads.

This is tigger the tiger, he likes bringing home "parts" of his kills and leaving them on my front steps. Such a nice dude eh!?:comfort:

There's been a few times where I've caught my cats in the middle of the grow room getting some tanning time. Idk why but they are drawn to 5000k

The closest they can get to sunshine in the middle of the winter ?

Gry

Veteran
I have towels I put up at the bottoms of my windows, it makes each window into a secluded little pocket for them to lounge in the sun with.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had to ban my buff from the grow room because he loves to munch on fan leaves.

He still gets one a day. He's always chirping at me when I come out of the grow room, and will attack the leaf if he sees it in my hands. He loves the damn things.