What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade CANNABIS BIBLIOGRAPHY SORTED AND ALPHABETIZED BY SUBJECT

goingrey

Reexamining Cannabidiol (CBD): Conversion to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) Using Only Heat
Robert Daniels, Omer Yassin, John Miguel Toribio, José A Gascón, Gregory A. Sotzing
January 2023, Pre-print
Abstract: Cannabidiol (CBD) containing products have flooded consumer markets in the past few years as the United States, Canada, and several European countries have legalized the cultivation of hemp. Due to complex legal histories of marijuana and cannabinoids, the stability and safety of CBD is still largely uncertain as research has been restricted globally. Conversion of CBD to its psychoactive isomers, delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) and delta-8-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ8-THC), presents a significant safety issue for consumers and producers of CBD products. For some users, unintentional conversion, leading to intoxication, could significantly impair routine activities while others may seek to intentionally convert CBD for recreational use. Previous studies investigating the stability of CBD have focused mainly on replicating conditions experienced during long-term storage at room temperature or lower. Here, we report the thermal stability of CBD at 175°C. After 30 minutes of heating, both Δ8-THC and Δ9-THC were produced in significant amounts (~4.5% and 2.0%) in aerobic and anaerobic conditions without an acid catalyst. Dynamic 1 H-NMR experiments and computational electronic structure calculations were used to characterize possible reaction paths from CBD to THC. Our findings support an energetically feasible reaction route that is favorable due to both an increase in phenol acidity at high temperatures and intramolecular OH-hydrogen bonding.
Full text: https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_to_Tetrahydrocannabinol_THC_Using_Only_Heat

Added to Bib in Cannabinoids- SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
To be honest I have found at least another few hundred Cannabis articles to add to the BIB but I am in bed with serious health problems and find it hard to do the work to add them all, I do add them to my BIB at home, and hope to get better enough to dd them all to the IC Cannabis Bib. Time will tell , I will get surgery in less than 2 weeks.....

-SamS

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take care Sam! Hope you get feeling better soon. Will keep you in our prayers. Glad you have a good therapeutic medicine on tap!

@acespicoli has a thread going and we have been sharing some recent publications and studies. Would be great to compile them all here. Looks like there will be more and more now, but the fact is, as a Schedule 1 in CSA its difficult to get federally allowed studies due to the harsh restrictions on research.

Will get the links up from acespicoli's thread. Thanks for the update!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
To be honest I have found at least another few hundred Cannabis articles to add to the BIB but I am in bed with serious health problems and find it hard to do the work to add them all, I do add them to my BIB at home, and hope to get better enough to dd them all to the IC Cannabis Bib. Time will tell , I will get surgery in less than 2 weeks.....

-SamS
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your planned surgery and your health problems. I had a surgery too a few months before and it's getting better. No need to hurry and post those things immediately as weed will always grow and we will always grow weed, one way or another. So just keep calm and relax and connect with healing forces and habits. You made an impact not many have made and don't need to pressure yourself rn.

CharlesU Farley

Someone posted a peer-reviewed study on the effects of cannabis and myocardial infarction / heart attack a month or two ago. I looked at the study pretty good, and data was quite valid, but as usual, the headlines were not.

Headline said something to the effect of all methods of consumption of cannabis were bad and you were more likely to have a heart attack. When you drill down into the study, 79% were smokers, and the rest percentage were vapors and edibles.It hardly indicts edible consumption, because the data is so limited, because almost no one has done edibles for a long period of time.

Edibles totally negate the carbon-based damage that is done to lung tissue from smoking or vaporization.

I don't know whether it was pipeline, acepicoli, or somebody else. I didn't bookmark it, can't remember the sub the thread was in, and don't have the time to go through all my posts and see what specific study it was.

That study should be included in this bibliography.

Which by the way is probably the most extensive and in-depth scientific repository of cannabis research anywhere available on the web.

Much, _much_ respect for generating and maintaining this bibliography. Hope someone that you are close to can assist you during your convalescence.

Cvh

Supermod

-SamS
Wishing you the best Sam.

Magu🌈

Hi Sam. I was in California in the summer of 1975. I was just a kid but I remember how things were back then. I have read many things about you and I find your life story to be very interesting. I have always wanted to meet you but writing to you is almost as good. I was a “pot farmer” in Ohio for 43 years. We never had “named” strains. It was just pot. lol. Everyone grew bagseed that they had found that could ripen in their area. You were and are a pioneer and visionary in pot history. Your adventures have been an inspiration to me in my own life. You and ALL the other old-time breeders and growers fought “the war on drugs” and you have won. We all owe you guys a lot. Thank you. 🌈

-SamS
Hoping for a speedy recovery for you, and health for years yet to come!

And thank you for all you do - it has been of the utmost importance!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Take care Sam! Hope you get feeling better soon. Will keep you in our prayers. Glad you have a good therapeutic medicine on tap!

@acespicoli has a thread going and we have been sharing some recent publications and studies. Would be great to compile them all here. Looks like there will be more and more now, but the fact is, as a Schedule 1 in CSA its difficult to get federally allowed studies due to the harsh restrictions on research.

Will get the links up from acespicoli's thread. Thanks for the update!
Get the link and post it so I can look at the bib references he has and maybe add to my IB Bib.
-SamS

CharlesU Farley

I can't remember who originally posted this journal article, otherwise I would give them credit/attribution. I saved the link after they posted it and finally had a little time to dive into the article. This was the opening paragraph that caught my eye:

Cannabis use — whether smoked, eaten or vaporized — is associated with a higher number of adverse cardiovascular outcomes, according to a new study.

Like most media headlines, that is completely misleading, and in my usual style of writing, I would say that it was utter and complete bullshit.

Not surprisingly, 74% of the study participants were _smokers_. And they don't break down the remaining percentage for vapor versus edibles.

I drilled down a little farther and found this little nugget:

"Among those who had never used tobacco cigarettes and had never used e‐cigarettes, cannabis use was not (my emphasis) associated with CHD or MI but was associated with stroke... "

Anyway, here is the direct link to the paper that was published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, so you can bet your ass it was peer-reviewed:

Cannabis Cancer Link

Here's the tl;dr version, especially for cannabis smokers:

"Cannabis has strong, statistically significant associations with adverse cardiovascular outcomes independent of tobacco use and controlling for a range of demographic factors and outcomes. It remains positively associated with cardiovascular disease among the general population, and men <55 years old and women <65 years old, those who have never use tobacco cigarettes, and those who have never used tobacco cigarettes or e‐cigarettes. These data suggest that cannabis use may be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and may be a risk factor for premature cardiovascular disease."

Since this is the most complete and comprehensive cannabis bibliography online, this one will eventually need to be added. Got to take the good with the bad... it can't always be good news with cannabis. :(

I will add it to the IC Bib -SamS
here is a link: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/epub/10.1161/JAHA.123.030178

CrossBones

-SamS
I've enjoyed reading thru some of the library you've put together here, Please get better soon.....

CharlesU Farley

Haven't fully vetted the numbers/details, busy right now, but this seems to be a valid study. The headline is essentially, "CBD alone doesn't work for pain" . Discusses pharmaceutical versus non-pharmaceutical CBD. THC or combo THC / CBD not involved or studied. Here was the take away and it didn't really surprise me:

Conclusions:

"It might be argued that, given the disparity of pain conditions tested, the varying dose and route of administration of CBD, as well as differences in duration of treatment, this updated review should not be the last word on CBD for pain. That might be so, but initially, positive results have tended to become less positive with more research,74 and larger meta-analyses have much smaller effect sizes than meta-analysis of small data sets.75 Given that well over 50 clinical trials of cannabinoids have failed to show any large analgesic effects since the first RCT almost 50 years ago,76 there can be no reasonable expectation of much difference from what we have now."

Summation:

" For people living with pain, the evidence for CBD or hemp extract shows it is expensive, does not work, and is possibly harmful.
Health care professionals should use this evaluation to help people living with pain to inform their decisions about unconventional unproven substances being sold as therapeutic. They will increasingly see patients using CBD or similar products, often for pain, and at present, may have a neutral view of CBD. That should probably change."

I've always felt that it's when THC is _combined_ with other cannabinoids, and terpines that the analgesic effects come into play with chronic pain.

Anyway, here's the links:

CBD No Good For Pain

DOI

I will add this to the BiB when I am recovered.
-SamS

Latest posts

Latest posts