What's new

Cannabis and dreaming

Cannabis and dreaming

• Total voters
Since I can't get high anymore I have noticed one major difference in my life.

I have been having the craziest dreams ever.

• tsunamis and me getting to high ground
  • my girl and very old friend getting in a hot tub nude and me worrying if my friend has a bigger dick than me
  • looking at clothing at a thrift store, yea..
  • a wave slamming many people with yellow helmets under a structure (freakiest)
Not blazing anymore definitely has this affect on me and I am wondering if any long time smokers ever dream.
I think there is something to be said about this.

dankski

I notice when i dont smoke for a little while that i can remember my dreams more and like you they are some crazy ass dreams

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
I dream all the time. I don't remember them much, because I sleep pretty soundly. Usually only if I happen to be dreaming when something wakes me up.

When I'm on a tolerance break, I sleep less soundly (especially early on) and therefore remember more dreams. I don't think cannabis inhibits dreaming at all, however, I could see someone drawing that conclusion.

:tiphat:

Now day dreaming . . . that's another story entirely . . .
whistle1.gif

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I notice when I don't smoke for a while my dreams increase in frequency and duration, not to mention intensity!

There is a pronounced link between cannabis and dreaming for me.

I dream a lot anyway... just ask IC. ;)

ddrew

Veteran
I used to think I wasn't dreaming from heavy smoking, but I came to realize I was dreaming as much as ever, but I just forgot them so much faster, like a matter of seconds after waking, and also they are completely forgotten too.

During times when I'm not smoking I can remember most of the dream for a longer time upon waking, and little parts of them almost indefinitely.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Keep a dream journal next to your bed. When you wake up (even in the middle of the night) make a habit of writing down whatever is on your mind at the moment. Write something. Anything. Over time your subconscious will pick up on it and you will start to remember your dreams in increasing detail.

Once you get the habit of that you can start to look for "dreamsign" and learn to control your dreams without waking.

Lucid dreaming extends your waking life by a good deal and allows you to do many things you only "dreamed" of.

:)

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Every night I fall asleep to the sound of my own screams and every morning I wake up to them.

I should really get a different white noise generator for the bedroom. .

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am a freako when it comes to dreams I have intense lucid dreaming every single night almost and it's always waking me up a few times a night even though I sleep good because once you gain concious thought inside your dream you tend to wake up so I have to literally fight with "myself" to not wake up in the dream once I realize I'm dreaming and start making decisions in the dream and willing things to happen & appear on command. I won't even mention the stuff I do in dreams sometimes. :crazy:

I can usually smell, taste, feel, experience all the normal human senses in the dream just like reality I have even pinched myself in my dream and it does hurt like hell. It's some crazy shit I admit, and smoking weed seems to intensify my dreams usually if I smoke right before passing out and I trail off into my head and that turns into my dream whatever I am thinking about. I probably have some sort of chemical imbalance either that or all this Sweet Tooth I smoke is expanding my fucking mind man! :joint:

I have heard for years that smoking Cannabis interferes with the dream state and REM and all that but I call bullshit on that being some type of hardfast rule. I think it depends on the person and many other factors like how much you smoke & your diet, what kind of weed it is ect.

GuerrillaG

Damn SOTF420 that sounds crazy. You should look into lucid dreaming and astral projection. Or maybe send me a cut of that Sweet Tooth LOL :biggrin:

I usually don't dream if I smoke a lot during the day. I was taking melatonin for a while and I could smoke like crazy and still have the most vivid dreams

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I dream very often. If i got plenty on my mind the more i dream about random shit.
I also noted that the more mashed i am the less i recall from my dreams.
When by some misfortune i spend a couple of days without smoke, may the green gods protect me from such disgrace ;), one of the first withdraw symptoms are some really fucked vivid dreams and some lousy nights of sleep where i wake up every other hour in a state of almost panic ....
This is one of the main reasons for me to think that in some deep ways the real effects of weed are yet to be explained in full.
Take care guys

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now I did hit my head a few times as a child I seem to barely recall some kind of realtionship to the lucid dreaming timeframe wise :bigeye:

Hort1

I have plenty of bad dreams if I do not smoke before I go to sleep.I have always suffered from nightmares even as a small child thankfully weed is the perfect cure a true gift from nature.

nycjb

When I had to stop smoking for work I had nightmares every single night and i would wake up soaked in sweat...it was really bad...went from not having a nightmare in forever to having multiple every night...:jump:

anonnoats

I seem to have a direct opposite effect to most everyone in this thread. I haven't dreamed since I was a child, but recently, now that I'm smoking frequently again, I have vivid dreams. I do have trouble recalling them later in the day, but when I wake up I remember actually having a dream which is a big leap from nothing. I wonder sometimes if it's a result of me drinking less alcohol and smoking instead before bed. My dreams are apparentl awesome too since the stuff I write down is top notch ridonculous.

Mr. Beanz

There is science to this too, it's not just a coincidence that people who smoke weed don't dream as much. It''s because weed hinders you from reaching REM sleep (stage where dreams occur).
Here's a quote from a study;
"Electroencephalographic readings and eye movement were recorded in experienced marijuana users under placebo and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Four subjects were studied for 3 baseline nights, 3 nights under initial dosage of 70 mg/day, the last 3 nights of a 2-wk period of 210 mg/day, and the first 3 nights of withdrawal. Three other subjects were studied only during the latter 2 conditions. Administration of THC significantly reduced eye movement activity during sleep with rapid eye movements (REM) and, to a lesser extent, the duration of REM itself. Withdrawal led to increases above baseline in both measures but the “rebound” effect was greater for eye movement. Stage 4 sleep tended to increase on drug, but this effect was not statistically significant. On withdrawal, stage 4 sleep decreased significantly; this change was marked only on the first withdrawal night. The functional or biological significance of these changes is unclear. Nevertheless, these are the most marked effects of THC on brain electrical activity demonstrated thus far."

Here's the website
http://lucidguide.com/dream-articles/does-marijuana-affect-dreaming

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
weird, I usually never remember my dreams (I know I must be having them), I'm a daily toker so I've just gotten used to it, however last night I had terrible sleep but had some vivid ass dreams, I forgot about what exactly since I didn't try to stay awake and think about them, but absolutely remember having one of those wake ya up type dreams.

I kinda miss it and think that dreams are kind of important with how your subconscious mind processes the day and its events, helping you out in the future with similar situations.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Everyone dreams.
If you think you don't dream, it's only because you don't remember it.
Having said that, I have not smoked in 5 weeks due to esophagitis. Even the vaporizer bothers me, presumably from the heat. When I stop smoking, my dreaming goes off the charts.
Even during a 5 minute cat nap, I immediately start dreaming, vivid, crazy dreams. I also get extremely tired when I quit smoking, so that I am sleeping more, which means more dreaming. Even after 5 full weeks, I am still crashing-still not down all the way, but my head is gradually clearing up. Most of my friends can smoke at night, and be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning. I am extremely hung over after a night of smoking, especially when vaping. My head is still not completely clear after 5 weeks of abstinence, but I am getting close. Usually it takes me only 3 weeks to come down. I attribute the longer period now to vaping. I think vaping gets you much more stoned.

Dreaming occurs during REM sleep. The longest period of REM sleep occurs at the end of your sleep period, so when you remember dreams it will be the last dreams you had that night. Normally, you will not remember dreams you had earlier in your sleep period, unless you are awakened. One could conclude from this that cannabis interferes somehow with REM sleep. I would like to see some research on this, as dreaming is crucial to your mental health. It's the minds way of coping with the madness that surrounds us while awake.
This morning, I had an extremely vivid dream which I still remember.
It was the sound of the feds pounding on my front door. I jumped out of bed, and looked through the peephole to see who was knocking, but no one was there. Not surprising, since, although I have a wooden door, which was the sound I heard, outside the wooden door is a steel security door. No way to knock on my wooden door, which was the sound I thought I heard:)
I went back to bed, but couldn't fall back to sleep, thinking about that knocking....

PS: I see that as I was typing this post, others already had chimed in about REM sleep, and how cannabis interferes with it.
I will check out the research. This is the one negative I see about cannabis, and why I believe it's prudent to take a break once in awhile. We all need REM sleep and interfering with it is not healthy.

Latest posts

Latest posts