What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Allergies

buzzmobile

Veteran
I used to get rashes from rubbing against the plants at an indoor grow.
Irritation may have been related to trichomes. Some are shaped like silica needles.
1661773756087.png

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I'm allergic to cannabis pollen. No doubt about it..... :dunno:

Whenever I'm in a grow room, I have to cover up any exposed skin. If I do rub against a plant, my skin can get bumps and become very red and itchy.

Dank buds left out in the open will trigger my sinuses.

Moreover, when trimming highly supercharged buds with dank terpenes, such as a Sour Diesel, I have to wear a painter's mask with dual filters and ensure that the room has an open sliding door.

RMS

:smoweed:

RobFromTX

Whenever I'm in a grow room, I have to cover up any exposed skin. If I do rub against a plant, my skin can get bumps and become very red and itchy.

Moreover, when trimming highly supercharged buds with dank terpenes, such as a Sour Diesel, I have to wear a painter's mask with dual filters and ensure that the room has an open sliding door.

RMS

Ive read about the skin rashes but what kind of reaction to your lungs? Like breathing problems or sneezing?

RyanR

Eating cannabis pollen has always decreased all allergy symptoms for me. Same effect or better than eating local bee pollen/honey.
No way really? At what amount and frequency? How bad were your symptoms. I will get super allergies but only towards harvest time at a large outdoor. Its weird though I took zyrtec for like a week and now a month later I'm still trimming but barely any allergies. A month ago just a whiff would get me sneezing.

RyanR

RMS

Do you have any other allergies?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I'm also allergic to cannabis. Noticed that on the rare occasions i took a break. My chronic sinusitis got better till i smoked again. Even at the season for other pollen when i didn't consume my symptomes were less. Imo cannabis worsens other allergies too.

I'm allergic to other plants like birch tree, haselnut, ash tree, house dust,.... and worst is mold. Autum when the leafs are falling is very bad hay fever time for me. I started late to take pills what also made things worse and chronic imo.
I have talked with a doctor at a allergie testing office and he showed me a pic of a prick test where the patient brought some plant material and it showed a strong reaction to the skin. He also said that he thinks cannabis makes allergies worse since some patients(including me) told him so.
When i handle my plants at the end of bloom cycle i get itches and urtica. When i grind some decent buds i have to sneeze. Luckily no need for breathing protection.

Zyrtec was mentioned but i prefere xyzall(same substance only biactive isomere) because of the fewer side effects. This year i tested to eat pollen regular and it worked very good for the plant based allergenes. Daily 5g beespollen in my breakfast shake and no need to use zycall for the whole summer. It worked so good that i had no pills when the leafs dropped and that was a bad weekend untill i got some zyzall.

Plookerkingjon

Its probably a reaction to the garbage some people use to grow it. Years ago I had a friend from the emerald triangle tell me that some of the methheads growing there used their feces and 7-dust to spray on their plants. Picture what that could do to your allergies. Straight from a dopers bumhole to your sinuses:confused:
I was at a family get together my family tree took an interesting trajectory where I've got no law enforcement but Healthcare one of which is a Navy doctor so when they I call it a quote unquote meeting of the Minds when we have a family get together laughing out loud yes I'm being a sarcastic a****** they are brilliant people but some of the conversations they have make me giggle my ass off like I'm watching a Benny Hill episode. I go to them a year ago complaining that all my life I've really been enjoying no allergies whatsoever but I was born from a mother who was left handed and allergic to everything on four legs growing up turns out some of us kids can end up with our parents allergies later in life I didn't know this I thought they were f****** with me cuz you know when people get doctorates and s*** sarcasm becomes another PhD sarcasm and f****** with your family members and a loving way of course but you can tell it's 3:00 in the morning and I don't belong awake have a good night gentlemen I'll see myself out

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I used to do hobby breeding and had no problems with pollen for years, then I started doing big outdoors and I was trimming for days with no protective gear. That's when my body started to show signs of allergies, like runny nose or itchy/red skin on contact. Smoking or vaping is mostly ok for me, but sometimes I do too much at a time and I get some sneezing or runny nose. I kinda did it to myself, by not wearing protection, so to the young guys out there, I would say to try to limit exposure, if they want to freely enjoy this plant with no signs of allergies. I suspect I am sensible to the resin itself or maybe some of the volatile compounds, and not the pollen in any particular way.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This year i tested to eat pollen regular and it worked very good for the plant based allergenes. Daily 5g beespollen in my breakfast shake and no need to use zycall for the whole summer. It worked so good that i had no pills when the leafs dropped and that was a bad weekend untill i got some zyzall.
Amazingly effective, yes! :)

Rider420

Most people will get red welts from some plants including cannabis. This is a normal reaction, most plants produce these types of chemicals to stop from being eaten, FYI it's not an allergy. As far as sneezing goes its more likely fine particulate matter "dust" then allergies when you sneeze around cannabis. A buddy of mine was highly allergic to a lot of things including the filler in aspirin yet never had an issue with cannabis.
BTW everyone is "allergic" to tobacco plants.
"Workers who plant, cultivate and harvest tobacco are at risk of suffering from a form of nicotine poisoning known as "Green Tobacco Sickness". This illness causes nausea and vomiting that can lead to hospitalization and lost work time. Tobacco workers suffering from Green Tobacco Sickness are at greater risk for heat illness—a potentially deadly condition."

Last edited:

Galaxy420

here is a way to determine if you are allergic to cannabis

break a bud in two and gently rub the inner part of the bud that was exposed on your inner wrist ( pressure point )
wait 15 minutes . if area is inflamed you are allergic to something in there either the cannabis itself or man made applied chems

the trick is to gently rub the area of the inner wrist so as to not cause inflammation via pressing to hard on the skin

Makroni

Irritation may have been related to trichomes. Some are shaped like silica needles.

this is a good point!

Ive the same problem with cannabis- irritation on the skin when harvesting, but never have problem with smoking , vaping or consuming cannabis orally.

A lot of grower have this problem.

I always guessed it might be because of different cannabinoids in the plant, or because of any stuff in the product that disassemble with the time.

but never thought about the different trichome size or type.

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
this is a good point!

Ive the same problem with cannabis- irritation on the skin when harvesting, but never have problem with smoking , vaping or consuming cannabis orally.

I always guessed it might be because of different cannabinoids in the plant, or because of any stuff in the product that disassemble with the time.

Wear long sleeves and see if that helps.

moose eater

When my auto-immune system was off the charts a couple decades ago, and I was harvesting, sticking my arms into the flowers and plants, I would get a rash on my forearms.

Didn't continue to occur, a year or 2 later, and I assumed it was relative to a period of time immediately preceding that period, when I had chronic hives for about 18 months, likely from other issues.

Galaxy420

this is a good point!

when the heat from combustion is there the irritant aspect is burned away .

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well, easy to figure out that in a joint there is high chance that particulate can get to your airways unburned, since smoke from the burning portion is carried through the unburned portion, where it can pick up things before being inhaled..

moose eater

Well, easy to figure out that in a joint there is high chance that particulate can get to your airways unburned, since smoke from the burning portion is carried through the unburned portion, where it can pick up things before being inhaled..
Precisely. Part of the reason a doobie tastes so good unlit. The terps are coming through when unlit, along with any micro-particulates. Same-same once lit. There's still particulates coming through.

Latest posts

Latest posts