What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis absorptance spectra: calculated and compared

Hello from β Test Team

We calculated Cannabis absorptance from 280 to 850 nm, and also compared that (per nm) to knna's Cannabis absorbance spectra (Google "Bulbs comparison tool").

This is part of a larger data set we're creating that can be used to analyzed lamps (including LED) in terms of how well they may grow Cannabis (or other plants).

For this specific thread, the absorptance shows us the photons absorbed by Cannabis leaves at each wavelength nm. So if you look at the graph we made in the second post you can see our line (blue) is absorbed photons per nm, and the other line is generally how most higher plants use photons per nm for photosynthesis.

In other words, not all absorbed photons are used for photosynthesis, they're used for other things too, like photomorphogenesis, cryptochrome, phytochrome, etc. For example, about 80% of blue photons absorbed by leaves are used for photosynthesis, so blue is about 20% less efficient in driving photosynthesis than red range photons, even though leaves absorb more blue photons than red photons.

So that people can see what we did is used for, we graphed our new Cananbis absorptance spectra against the McCree RQE spectra for higher plants, as adapted by Sager, et. al.

RQE is a function used to calculate YPF from PPF (umol/m-2/s-1) per wavelength nm, and YPF is basically how well each wavelength nm photons' drive photosynthesis.

This gives a good visual of the data we made, and how it can be used to correct McCree's YPF (yield photon flux - as adjusted by Sager, et. al.) for Cannabis usage of light. (Like what knna did with his data; but we're using different data sets).

We can easily plot SPD graphs (after they're digitized) into the following Cannabis absorptance & RQE graph, showing how it may be used by Cannabis in terms of the lamps' spectral quality. Like how lamp companies like Hortilux make their SPDs, but this includes Cannabis absorbance. :)

We hope this makes things clear:

picture.php

Last edited:
For a lot more info please open the workbook's first sheet and read the text, as well as the read all the comments (hover your mouse cursor over cells that have little red triangles in their upper-right corner).

This workbook allows for automatic calculation of absorptance using reflectance and transmittance spectra graphs. We wrote it in such a way that anyone can use it to calculate absorptance if they want to, because there are many options for calculating Cannabis absorptance from the attached PDF's spectra graphs.

To use this workbook you would need to first take a screenshot of the graphs and normalize the X-axis (or use the two I uploaded in this post), then fill in the input cells using GIMP (at 800% or 1,600% zoom) including recording the Y-axis pixel number along the spectrum line you're working with and entering those data it into the first worksheet in the workbook.

Here's the workbook, this isn't likely useful to many people, but in case some people fine it useful, we wanted to share:
https://csrg.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Cannabis-leaf-absorptace-v1.1.xlsx

Attachments

• Spectral Discrimination of Cannabis sativa L. Leaves and Canopies.pdf
    480.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
And for reference to absorptance spectra graphed for other plants vs. McCree's absorptance this is nice (see the legends). This shows how our Cannabis absorptance spectra is following expected trend lines:

picture.php

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
:respect: for sharing all this with the community. Personally looking forward to mulling over more of your data. :biggrin:

Also, when possible, you might consider editing in a larger screen shot of the work book. The one posted is too small to be legible even when expanded.

You're welcome.

Sure, I'll try to get a bigger screenshot now. I think it's something to do with this website, because it's big when uploaded to other websites. Give me maybe 10 minutes and I'll try to get it fixed.

Mister_D, please let me know if this is better. I had to split the screenshot, so the first one shows the left-half of the worksheet and the second one shows the right-half of the worksheet. The first screenshot is the one that is most informative out of the two.

There are other sheets in the workbook that aren't shown in these two screenshots. But these are the two most important screenshots of the workbook, so hopefully this is legible. I also uploaded the single screenshot so if you download the image file it should be in full size (I hope):

Attachments

• Worksheet - final.jpg
    Worksheet - final.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 65
[The no edit button rule is really starting to get annoying.]

Mister_D, I forgot to also upload the split screenshots as an attachment to the last post. So, here they are. Hopefully one of these will load correctly so they're easy to read :)

Attachments

• Cannabis absorptance part 1.jpg
    Cannabis absorptance part 1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 50
  • Cannabis absorptance part 2.jpg
    Cannabis absorptance part 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 46
Great.

And you may like this, too. Tomorrow we're going to upload the Cannabis absorptance spectra graphs for the following growth stages:

Early vegetative (this one is the one we already uploaded, but we're going to update it)
Late vegetative
Early flowering
Late flowering
Mean of all four stages

We'll add them to the spreadsheet and re-upload the spreadsheet too.

Great.

And you may like this, too. Tomorrow we're going to upload the Cannabis absorptance spectra graphs for the following growth stages:

Early vegetative (this one is the one we already uploaded, but we're going to update it)
Late vegetative
Early flowering
Late flowering
Mean of all four stages

We'll add them to the spreadsheet and re-upload the spreadsheet too.

With all the information you've posted the mods may grant you edit button early. just track one down (without pms as they are at 50 too) and ask.

We're glad there's interest here, this sure is an interesting topic! :) (At least we think so.)

PetFlora thank you for the offer, we really can't understand why there's a rule about editing posts. For me, it really annoys me. We almost closed our account here because of it, it's that annoying to us (well, mostly to me). I may post hello to you, thanks.

To get our post count up I planned to post each new Cannabis absorptance spectra we're creating today as a separate post in this thread, but I didn't want to annoy ICMAG but bumping the thread a few times in a short period. We're also going to add the photoic curve (updated to CIE 2006) to the RQE curve, to show how human eyes use light (lux, lumens) vs. plants (YPF) vs. how cannabis absorbs photons at four different growth stages and a mean of four of those stages. So that's 6 new posts right now. Wow, 50 seems so far off. SMH.

Here's the data we completed today. We've been working on this data for past month (on and off), it's nice to finally have it completed.

We'll make graphs from these data in a bit and upload them, probably a total of 7 to make thing easy to read and understand.

Attachments

• Updated absorptance graphs.jpg
    Updated absorptance graphs.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 62

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the data we completed today. We've been working on this data for past month (on and off), it's nice to finally have it completed.

We'll make graphs from these data in a bit and upload them, probably a total of 7 to make thing easy to read and understand.

Do you have a website where this 411 is posted?