What's new

Canna Caps - To extract or not to extract

CarefulGrower

Maybe it had to do with the extraction process? When I make caps, everything is a separate component. The oil is made, the oil is decarb'd, the decrb'd oil is then mixed with coconut oil. I haven't followed much of a different process, and it works well for me.

Qwet extraction for 1min, then made a second wash, the product i mixed on coconut oil and put on the eletric oven at 150-160F to evaporate the alcohol.
Then froze for some hours and decarbed it at 220F for 60min.

I use my bho, not Qwet, that may be the difference, but it sounds like you are adding coconut oil while there is still ethanol present. Try making your qwet oil finished and then decarbing it, before adding coconut oil. I may be misunderstanding your extraction process though.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
No, the main issue is the 220F for 60 minutes. Maximum should have been about 20 minutes and that's pushing it, usually runs around 8-12 minutes, depending on how decarbed the material was already... before processing.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What HS said! If you watch the bubbles, the first to come off will be random sized solvent bubbles, followed by the small equally sized fizzy CO2 bubbles from decarboxylation.

For carboxylic acid, remove the oil from the 250F oil bath at that point.

For decarboxylated oil with maximum THC content, continue to cook until the rate of fizzy bubble production suddenly falls off, which is about 70% decarboxylation and the top of the curve on the attached decarboxylation graph furnished by Jump 117.

If you want a more sedative oil, wait until bubble production stops, and it will be fully decarboxylated, with elevated CBN.

Attachments

• Decarboxylation graph.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Decarboxylation graph.jpg
    Decarboxylation graph.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 13

TheArchitect

Veteran
I cook my oil at 350f(not sure of accuracy), and watch the process until it noticeably slows. 50-75 mg un-winterized bho per cap.

I've tried lower temps and pulled it off the oil earlier, as gray describes above, but I had complaints that they weren't as potent, even though the amount of bho was the same.

YMMV as this is just IME, but, I can attest personally also, that the higher temp pills are noticeably stronger. I would love to have the stuff tested for THC/CBN content, but I don't have the ability to do so.

The pills are certainly more crushing high than to the moon though, but that may be a product of the strains.

TheArchitect

Veteran
Never really timed it, as I go by visuals, but if I had to guesstimate I'd say about 20 minutes depending on how much hash I'm cooking.

I'll have to time it soon, which is today since I need to make caps lol.

Favela420

Great thread! I've been wondering what to do with my reclaim...I"ve heard that reclaim is great for canna caps. Wondering if it will mix well with coconut or MCT oil?...