What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canadian Strain John Guy

Mimpi Manis

Here's a strain I've not seen turn up in this space? Am quite impressed with it thus far. As always, its not till after a decent cure and tryout that the final verdict will be in. But in terms of grow, yield, health and flower time it ticks the boxes. Of the three this is the fruity one. Another had more of a sativa growth pattern about it. Taller but still retained those indica like leaves and bud structure. A few small trial vapes indicate this one is quite the nice cadillac ride. Quick onset and no slap down couch lock attributes. But it's early days. Anyone had any experience with this one? I painted some C5/Mango dust (few male choices this season) on a lower branch. Could be interesting. If ya don't give it a try... you'll never know! PS: Apparently it won the Nimbin Cup in 2017?

The other pic is of a WSSxSSH/IBL I grew out. Turned out to be a great cross. Better than both parents. The first iteration retained that lovely strawberry/tropical flavour... in terps and taste. Potent and very agreeable. So made sure I followed up to see if I could repeat that lucky experiment from three years ago. Haven't seen too much of the terps but it performed grow wise at least. Comes in first two weeks of April. Will post some feedback re both of these as soon as data comes in.

Attachments

• JG-web.jpg
    JG-web.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 27
  • WSSx(SSHxIB)L-web.jpg
    WSSx(SSHxIB)L-web.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 28

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here's a strain I've not seen turn up in this space? Am quite impressed with it thus far. As always, its not till after a decent cure and tryout that the final verdict will be in. But in terms of grow, yield, health and flower time it ticks the boxes. Of the three this is the fruity one. Another had more of a sativa growth pattern about it. Taller but still retained those indica like leaves and bud structure. A few small trial vapes indicate this one is quite the nice cadillac ride. Quick onset and no slap down couch lock attributes. But it's early days. Anyone had any experience with this one? I painted some C5/Mango dust (few male choices this season) on a lower branch. Could be interesting. If ya don't give it a try... you'll never know! PS: Apparently it won the Nimbin Cup in 2017?

The other pic is of a WSSxSSH/IBL I grew out. Turned out to be a great cross. Better than both parents. The first iteration retained that lovely strawberry/tropical flavour... in terps and taste. Potent and very agreeable. So made sure I followed up to see if I could repeat that lucky experiment from three years ago. Haven't seen too much of the terps but it performed grow wise at least. Comes in first two weeks of April. Will post some feedback re both of these as soon as data comes in.
Thanks, friend for the post. Those flowers look good and sound interesting. Keep us posted.

Mimpi Manis

Some speculate it might be more than pheno... perhaps more an 'intervention'? Some lucky guy. (See what I did there!). Can't compare to original WW as have not seen or grown. Whichever, seems pretty respectable so far. I'm liking the sat leaning one - but I would wouldn't I! Interesting little hobby innit? So, whats all the rage in downtown Montreal these days?

kro-magnon

Veteran
Some speculate it might be more than pheno... perhaps more an 'intervention'? Some lucky guy. (See what I did there!). Can't compare to original WW as have not seen or grown. Whichever, seems pretty respectable so far. I'm liking the sat leaning one - but I would wouldn't I! Interesting little hobby innit? So, whats all the rage in downtown Montreal these days?
What does it mean more than a pheno, an intervention?
I think the Jean Guy was available at the Great Gardener, some canadian breeders.

Mimpi Manis

What does it mean more than a pheno, an intervention?
I think the Jean Guy was available at the Great Gardener, some canadian breeders.
Intervention: Not just a WW pheno but maybe another male used in this case? (Or vice versa?). The actual info at hand is somewhat limited and opaque. Which in this world is almost the rule. Info about JG is pretty scant on the whole. To get a little insight I guess a run of both WW & JG together might provide a few clues? Just thought a few folks in this space might post a little personal experience. But there you go... another little mystery in the cannabis space to add to the zeitgeist.

Mimpi Manis

Thanks for posting. I scoured the net for info and saw versions of this take. Some others hinted another strain may have been involved... thats all. My version (ex Canada) looks like an indica but from early test delivers a more sativa high. Big blousy fat colas. Afghani like even? Limited stigma's... not rampant in the way most sativa's throw. My three are more than ready... but trichomes are mostly milky stage. Been that way a while. Loaded... but not golden. No citrus to speak of... one is fruity. The others a little more muted fragrance wise. Hempy/floral perhaps? Similar structure and leaf. Not sure if it has to be left quite the while to mimic the the gold trichs outcome? Rest assured I wont be going down that road, But for most part, this was decently bred version and seems (so far) to have delivered what was promised. (A little more head leaf trim than I'd like). But real test will come after a cure. Which, if anyone is interested, I will post about at a later date. What will be interesting is what the dusting with the very different C5/Mango male will bring to the party.

Attachments

• JG-chop-web.jpg
    JG-chop-web.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 17

kro-magnon

Veteran
Intervention: Not just a WW pheno but maybe another male used in this case? (Or vice versa?). The actual info at hand is somewhat limited and opaque. Which in this world is almost the rule. Info about JG is pretty scant on the whole. To get a little insight I guess a run of both WW & JG together might provide a few clues? Just thought a few folks in this space might post a little personal experience. But there you go... another little mystery in the cannabis space to add to the zeitgeist.
Speculation of people who are not involved in the creation of any genetics is too often what causes muddy information. If the people are not heavily involved in this cut their speculation has no value.
Seed sellers are shady enough no need to add confusion with the speculation of the bro-science.

Mimpi Manis

Thanks for posting. I scoured the net for info and saw versions of this take. Some others hinted another strain may have been involved... thats all. My version (ex Canada) looks like an indica but from early test delivers a more sativa high. Big blousy fat colas. Afghani like even? Limited stigma's... not rampant in the way most sativa's throw. My three are more than ready... but trichomes are mostly milky stage. Been that way a while. Loaded... but not golden. No citrus to speak of... one is fruity. The others a little more muted fragrance wise. Hempy/floral perhaps? Similar structure and leaf. Not sure if it has to be left quite the while to mimic the the gold trichs outcome? Rest assured I wont be going down that road, But for most part, this was decently bred version and seems (so far) to have delivered what was promised. (A little more head leaf trim than I'd like). But real test will come after a cure. Which, if anyone is interested, I will post about at a later date. What will be interesting is what the dusting with the very different C5/Mango male will bring to the party.
Couple more pics as adjunct to previous posts. Cola is right after a wet trim... and CU of typical leaf structure. One of my indicaters for ripeness is the branches (unsupported) tend to start bowing down with the increased weight of the trichome mass. These certainly had that welcome pleasing heaviness when gathered up at finish.

Attachments

• JG#2-web.jpg
    JG#2-web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • JGLeaf-web.jpg
    JGLeaf-web.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 17

Maple_Flail

Jean guy is a tired plant currently. it used to be better.

it honestly comes off as a high yielding, slightly finicky hard to full 100%, indica leaning widow

Mimpi Manis

Care to elaborate on the 'tired' part? They grew well enough from my 50 plus years in the space. Potency wise... who knows? Bit hard to comment at this early stage. I got to try some of the best sativa's ever grown, so I know what good shit is. Tried lots of nice enough stuff in my time, but truth is, I doubt we'll see the likes of these amazing strains again. But of course it doesn't stop the journey and the curiosity. Will close enough ever be good enough? Buggered if I know. But after all... a man has got to have a hobby!

moose eater

'Not displeased' seems a good place to start. Will chime back in after a decent amount of cure.
I could've been more positive, and stated that my experiences with Jean Guy were very good. They were.

Must've been somewhat of an Eeyore morning for me, I guess.

Maple_Flail

Care to elaborate on the 'tired' part? They grew well enough from my 50 plus years in the space. Potency wise... who knows? Bit hard to comment at this early stage. I got to try some of the best sativa's ever grown, so I know what good shit is. Tried lots of nice enough stuff in my time, but truth is, I doubt we'll see the likes of these amazing strains again. But of course it doesn't stop the journey and the curiosity. Will close enough ever be good enough? Buggered if I know. But after all... a man has got to have a hobby!

Tired meaning, its not turning out like it used too, from a consumer point of view.

whichever cuts the legal market in Canada managed to get there was 2-3 different producers running it with differing quality results are all doing the same stringy thing.

last time i saw a good looking batch it was out at a rez, but that was years ago.

i'm sure there are those who are looking after their cut and it still produces well, but i doubt most of those bags make it beyond private circles.