What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

canadian light dep schedule??

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Do a word search on "daylight hours explorer" sometime. I can't get the complete URL to work for you on IC. Anyway the one you click on is the University of Nebraska-Lincoln one. You need to enter in your latitude and then it gives the exact hours of daylight in your location. Like Corky said you need only 12 hours of daylight to fool the Cannabis into flowering. You will have to decide if dragging tarps by hand works for you. If you have a very big operation going it might be worth it to get a system with timers and motors to drag the tarps. I have seen greenhouses with regular flowers use that system and it has been around for a while.

Tynehead Tom

I'm cheating on the light dep, being that I'll be moving the plants into the shed attached to the greenhouse for their night time. This way I can keep temps the way I want and also control evening humidity and give them absolute darkness for 12 hours.
never done this before so it's my version of wingin it.
I have varieties that will finish here but the smoke is not what I consider good medicine

Pangea

Veteran
We run our hoop deps 8 to 8 covered, we get cold foggy nights in the second half of flower, and the first for that matter, but everything outside of the tarps is soaked in condensation except for the covered plants(inside humidity condenses on the cold tarp, the dark warm ground keep the ambient inside a few degree's above outside) Its stagnant but works for best for us. We get at least 2 season out of a 5mil black and white from farmtek et al.

High spring, mid summer sun makes awesome flowers everyone should hop on the tarp wagon, its great!

Be sure to share your diy golden arm, im sick of climbing and moving the ladder, gotta pour some pads and get some ghetto arms rocking!

PARADOX

Will do I get a video of them in action in the next couple weeks. The golden arm diy is easy as can be to build. Maybe ill put up a how to

PARADOX

We have had some fucked up weather out here in bc... just had a hard frost 2 nights ago. Damn good thing we have the polly still on the greenhouse.. hopefully we are in the clear now!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lovely downpour the other day. Blue skies/overcast one minute, backed up street drains (the shit are they called? I should know that) ten minutes later.

And of course the one plant left unstaked, in the open, was mercilessly pummelled into the ground. Bloody Cali welfare strains acclimatized to shitfuckall but nets and canes.

My shoes dried the very next evening.

corky1968

Veteran
I'm cheating on the light dep, being that I'll be moving the plants into the shed attached to the greenhouse for their night time. This way I can keep temps the way I want and also control evening humidity and give them absolute darkness for 12 hours.
never done this before so it's my version of wingin it.
I have varieties that will finish here but the smoke is not what I consider good medicine

I was thinking about a flatbed trailer or something to do the same would be awesome.

Just drive it in and out of your shed or garage on demand.

Like this.

They-Any-Good.jpg

rykus

Your making it more complicated than it needs be....

Grow shorter plants, lol. Easy to shade.n faster too.

Tynehead Tom

yup we had a week of awesome weather into the high 20's breaking 30C , then 10 days of shit weather, snow, hail, wind torrential rain LOL
running out to make sure the pants and their 18gallon pots aren't getting trashed or flooded out.
I don't have a greenhouse built yet but the angle of the sun and the small shelter I've put up are keeping the downpours at bay
bring on the sunshine already geesh.
it's tough growing in the north but it's workin.

C

chris harris

Total rookie to outdoor light dep. Running way behind schedule, but almost ready to start. Up at 52 N Lat. Couple of questions. Right now sunset is at 21:30 hrs., but it's still light out, is that a problem, or is that not enough light to be worried about. Same with Sunrise @ 05:48, it's light out before that.
My plan was to move everything into a dark shed first thing in morning before sunrise, and then bring out at 09:30 am, so this way they get their 12 hrs. dark, but only have to be in shed for a few hours, and won't have to worry about humidity too much. Also moving them in morning, the shed has had time to cool down overnight ,then out of shed before the day heats up.
Question #2. By end of Aug, sunset is at 20:23 ( almost an hour earlier). Do I then bring them out of the shed by 08:23 to maintain 12 hours darkness? Looks like by mid Sept it's almost 12 / 12 so won't have to move them at all.
Thanks for any help.

corky1968

Veteran
My plan was to move everything into a dark shed first thing in morning before sunrise, and then bring out at 09:30 am, so this way they get their 12 hrs.

If your shed is light proof, big enough and you can maintain a 12/12 schedule it will work out. :tiphat:

Tynehead Tom

I have something interesting going on over here.
I started my light dep but it just wasn't working (at all LOL) so I shit canned the idea and pressed on.

My plants are flowering and I figure they started 10 days ago by the looks of things.

so I'm at 52.5N , just shy of 3000ft elevation. directly west of me at the back of my property is a heavy forest.
so 2 weeks ago actual sunrise was 5:05 , so ambient light till about 6:30 when the greenhouse starts to get the sun's rays. Full direct sunlight all day till 7:30pm when the sun "sets" behind the forest stopping all of the suns rays from striking. Ambient light till sunset at 9:17. Total daylight hours 16 hours 12 minutes not counting twilight. However, greenhouse was getting 13ish hrs direct full sun.
at 7:45 the plants are drooped as if they are sleeping, after tracking with the sun till it goes behind the trees.

long story short, with multiple varieties in the greenhouse, and all looking to be at same stage in flower, the ambient light doesn't seem to be keeping my plants in veg. today's actual sunrise 5:24 , sunset 8:59 for total actual daylight 15hrs 35 mins and fading.
at this rate, my longest flowering variety will be done for the new moon on sept 30th. This could not be more perfect as it's happening 3 weeks earlier than I expected, which is HUGE here LOL

Pangea

Veteran
We go 12/12 with full coverage from 8 - 8, similar lats. I dont like ambient light on the tail ends unless Im going for more stretch and a slighly delayed finish time, ime. Also got a late start this year.

Already cant wait till next spring :D

Attachments

• tarpin.jpg
    tarpin.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 15
C

chris harris

Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't think I need a delayed finishing time as I'm running behind enough already, so maybe should just full coverage 12/12. Was just trying to minimize coverage duration to avoid temp and humidity issues. Nice set up by the way Pangea.

BC*Dankster*

Hey have a couple questions on light deprev. First , I'm wondering where I can find the blackout poly / fabric for a 12' x 20' foot greenhouse, and second, if I start flowering them July 1, how long do I need to do the whole shade cloth thing ? Once they are a few weeks into flower can I stop, or do I have to keep doing it the whole flowering period ? Ps, I'm in the lower mainland area, so anywhere that sells the material ? Thanks 💪

Limeygreen

Veteran
Check out the greenhouse suppliers (builders) and find out who installs the screens (shade and blackout) in commercial operations then call those people and see what they have around you may luck out and they have some around from a job or smaller pieces kicking around that they can sell you. Svenson ludvig makes the best material if they have it.

outdoordreams

Bcdankster, I'm using the same dimensions and bought a thick silver and black 25x50 tarp from princess auto....... then added a 30x60 green tarp on top of that to add to the darkness and more camouflage.

I have already started to tarp and from experience I will be tarping all the way to the end.
I have some sativas so I'm not risking them reverting back after all that work......

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
It doesn't have to be really dark, just close, but that second green tarp sounds nice for sure.

You don't have to tarp the whole time. If you have them well kicked, and the night hours gets as much as 10, 10.5, everything will keep on rolling. The plants can see each day is getting shorter, and that keeps them on track. As i recall its somewhere in August, maybe the 15th or so.

edit, i just checked, its on the 23rd of august you get 10 hours of dark. but a week later, sept1, its already decreases by half an hour, and the plants can easily see that. so safely you can stop around the 23rd i'd say almost for certain. most strains no problem, probably almost everything.