What's new

Can you tell if it's a female or male in Veg?

F

fiveonit

I've been trying to tell what sex my plants have by looking with a 10x loop but I still can't see any sign of balls or pistils..:(
They have been growing outdoors for 35 days veg now and still no sign of sex.
How long before I can tell what sex it is?
Do I have to wait until the 12 hour period before they show sex or can I somehow be able to tell soon if I have any males?

Ive been looking in between the nods for preflowers.

Johnnyseed

SOMETIMES when growing regular seeds with the SAME strain, you can start to depict which is male and female at early ages. .sometimes as early as its first two- three nodes show

GENERALLY
you have to wait till preflowers show, which some show automatically and/or wait till the 12/12 flip

F

fiveonit

bummer have to take care of all of them until the 12 hour starts in september october then

Looking for sex in veg before the 12/12 flip is not for noobs. How are you gonna sex them with no preflowers? Thats like sexing a human embryo.
Take a cut and put it under 12/12 then watch everyday while the main plant continues to veg Then youll know.

Bulldog420

Veteran
Yes, you can read sex on a plant in veg no problem. From seed, once the seed gets to a clone size plant, it takes about 1-2 months of veg and the plant will show sex. You have to look at the nodes, and look for either little white hairs (female) or the start of balls. Once you have seen it, it's simple to detect.

I grow outdoors with seed all the time. By the time the plant is about 1ft tall it should show sex, you don't have to wait until August. Og's seem to sex last. Good luck.

Johnnyseed

FROM MY EXPERIENCE

FROM MY EXPERIENCE

You say 35 days of veg. How did you determine that? From seed sprout or the first transplant?

Ive bred this one plant for a couple years. It came from bagseed Columbian brick. Ive sexed the plant a couple times to keep it around.

Everytime ive popped the seeds, there were really small differences in the small men and women plants. The males have this "limp" characteristic about them. The growth of sll the males never "reached for the sky" as most female plants do ALL during growth.

Mind you, ive been growing that plant for sum time and I was VERY used to to the plants charactEristics.

Anyway, the male plants grew but not as vigorous as the females.

I managed to get the plants to sex early as well.
hopefully these pics show

One male, I was able to sex EARLY. You will see the sacs on the head.

Also, the male is on the left, female plant "reaching to the sky" on right side

Attachments

• 20140723_114106.jpg
    20140723_114106.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20140723_114208.jpg
    20140723_114208.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 11

Cool Moe

Veteran
Some strains don't throw the obvious pre-flowers, even if they do when outdoors they can be easy to miss. You don't have to wait for 12 hour daylight (9/21) unless you're growing pure sativa, when the length of day drops below 14 hours any indica or hydrid will transition into flower. Exactly when that happens depends on your latitude. Here at 39N the length of day drops below 14 hours around 8/10 and flowering almost always starts sometime in the first two weeks of August. Here's a tool to help you find out the length of day in your location:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Dur_OneYear.php

Snow Crash

Veteran
Pre-Flowers appear on my plants around the 12th to 14th internodes.

It typically takes 40 to 50 days from seed before I can tell. Give them some more time and they will show you.

F

fiveonit

Some strains don't throw the obvious pre-flowers, even if they do when outdoors they can be easy to miss. You don't have to wait for 12 hour daylight (9/21) unless you're growing pure sativa, when the length of day drops below 14 hours any indica or hydrid will transition into flower. Exactly when that happens depends on your latitude. Here at 39N the length of day drops below 14 hours around 8/10 and flowering almost always starts sometime in the first two weeks of August. Here's a tool to help you find out the length of day in your location:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Dur_OneYear.php

thanks alot for taking the time to help me. the link is quite useful aswell. bless you:woohoo:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I watch mine like a hawk after about the 5th node, I am searching for very thin little white pistils, or in the case of males, the beginning of a spur. The first sign of a spur often looks like a little green fist that is giving you the finger. As if to say: 'fuck you man, now you are gonna kill me'!

F

fiveonit

I watch mine like a hawk after about the 5th node, I am searching for very thin little white pistils, or in the case of males, the beginning of a spur. The first sign of a spur often looks like a little green fist that is giving you the finger. As if to say: 'fuck you man, now you are gonna kill me'!

HAHA yeah I have been searching like crazy but like Snow Crash said I will give it some more time.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
stressed plants can take longer to show
I usually top my plants twice to keep them manageable in veg before they show
Topped plants will take longer to declare, because you are removing the new growth that is about to produce sex organs. But other forms of stress, such as lack of water, will actually cause the plant to declare quicker as it speeds up its life cycle. It is a survival mechanism, a mad rush to set seed and ensure the next generation, before the hostile environment leads to it's early demise!!

Guys i hate to break it to you but if the plant is showing preflowers or sex itis not in veg anymore; the plant is in bloom. Good luck five.

F

fiveonit

Guys i hate to break it to you but if the plant is showing preflowers or sex itis not in veg anymore; the plant is in bloom. Good luck five.
Thanks for all the help. yeah I can't see any sex yet i'll just wait and check them each day to see what sex they are later on.

I hate to break it to you barbie but you are talking total bollocks , having pre flowers means its sexually mature but that does not mean its in flower :laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts