What's new

Can you take cuttings from a plant in flower??

Just curious what the effects might be both to plant im cutting it from and the clone itself. will it stilll grow roots and clone as normal?? And how will it affect the plant in flower? :rasta:

Y

yamaha_1fan

for the plant, obviously it depends on how much you take. Take too much you have less bud.

Yes the cuts will root. I took some in week 2-3 of 12/12, they rooted but were all messed up. Some didnt make it, their growth tips died. The ones that did root, grew these leaves that were smooth edged, not jagged like you usually see. I vegged them for like 8 weeks to get them back to normal.

In my setup, these type of cuts have no place so I'll never do it again. I just kept them to see what would happen. I just put 8 of them into 12/12 and I shall see how they do.

Alot of people do it and they seem to have more success but they also may have more time in between harvests etc. One tip I got was to cut all the flowers/bud sites off

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if the strain is more sativa dominant and you take clones early then you can take plenty of clones in flower

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
I only do it if its an emergency. I have had success in the past if its in within the first 2 weeks of 12/12 but any longer than that and the cuts seem to exhibit some mutations for the rest of there lives. Nothing i would want to make a mother of.

Some people here claim that using cuts from veg allows them to get babies with extreme branching, good for scrog ops. I personally dont like to stress the plants at all. If u take a cut after its been in flower even a few days, then root it back under a veg photoperiod you have majorly stressed it out. all sorts of things could happen, hermi ect.. doesnt mean some dont do it... and it does work, maybe add a few days to see roots tho. i think it also depends on the integrity of the strain.

When i make mothers, i dont even mess with the photoperiod on the original seeds. Sprout, grow 4-6 weeks, take cuts, flower cuts. the best ones i go back to the original seed plant (which has been in veg the whole time) and take cuts for future flower runs. ..takes a while, but no stress. I dont like to do the 'switch to 12/12 for a few weeks to show sex and then switch back'

One time i bought cuts that were taken from a plant in early flower... i'm sure to be more careful now. The reveg F'd my whole time table.

Long story short, it can be done. Some swear by it. if you do though take it early, like when you do your first pruning of the under growth... that usually gets tossed anyway.

Oh, there wont be anything wrong with the plant already in flower, the one you take the cut from, as long as you dont take it from anywhere that u are expecting a bud :bashhead:

chill, i just had a few plants that look amazing in flower and they were from this bag from like 13 years ago and i fuckin wanna keepo these plants around as mothers at least one of the 4 plants but there all like 3 weeks in flower

C

CMoon

at any time, if the weak shoot you take off the bottom breaks down , turns hermie or does not reveg under the right conditions the plants not worth saveing as a main stay ime......theres some delicate strains out there to savour will not take this hardcore approach but thats dependant on how you wish to use the strain, total reveg after harvest is also an option

bests cmoon

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I've taken cuttings from Princess Diesel and Skunk #1 at almost 30 days into flower.

The Princess Diesel popped roots in 4 days. The Skunk #1 took a few weeks because I had crappy soil at the time. She's a nice SK#1 mum now though.

BigPapa

I have always taken cuttings 14 days into flower and never lost one. 2 days ago I took cuttings 28 days into flower. We shall see. Each one had 5 or 6 nice little flowers on them. It sure was painful to cut those off. I root in a plastic container that they sell cakes in under 2 flo tubes at 16/8.

chimei

I have taken cuttings at every point of flowering before without issue.

They just take longer to root in my experience, then you have to deal with revegging.

I had one budded clone (taken at like 52 days) take like 35 days to root. But it went into revegging quicker because my guess is while it was rooting it was transitioning into that phase.

I have never seen any mutations due to this either.. revegging always looks a little weird, but once a plant is reveged and a cutting is taken and that is rooted I can't tell the difference between that cutting and the original plant that it was cloned from.

I guess a large variable is the genetics, some genetics take stress better than others.

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf
I too took clones of some budding plants I think 2-4 weeks in. Stuck em in a bubbler cloned on the outskirts of my 400w and I was able to plant em in like 5 days. Only took a week or 2 to reveg and they took off amazingly. Had them in a small closet with the 400 and they grew into amazing little bushes. The wpsf was high and the temps were high and they fuckin loved it strain was green devil by tiki seedbank. Lineage was African so maybe that's why they took off like crazy weeds

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf

The plants just naturally grew this bushy I only trained 2 of them a liittle bit. Note the temp

Here's a pic of them when I took the cuts

And this is just one of my favorite pics at about day 40

Last edited:

Chomp

I've done it pretty far into flowering like 4 weeks or so more than a few times...a few things that I've noticed are they root and reveg faster under 24 hours of light, and leave at least one bud on the cutting because it will branch like hell from it and give you more cuttings in less time....

Chomp :joint:

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I'd recommend re-vegging over taking a cut later in flower. If you cant re-veg go for it, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, but it takes a while to root and re-veg. If you can reveg then pull out the root mass so its about the size of a softball, leave small buds on lower branches and harvest rest so it looks like a little bonzai. put it under 24 hour light in some maricle gro or any potting soil and it should be fully re-vegged and ready to take clones within a month. Take clones and keep the best one as a mother, and trash the re-vegged plant. you could flower it but from my experience a flowerred re-veg aint as quality as the clones you take of it. One time I flowerred a re-veg mother and it was shitty so I said fuck it and flowerred the last clone, the last clone was back to the origanal potency and vigor tho, so I was hella mad I lost that one(not willing to go back thru the whole process, too time consuming).

Ive done it with mandala strains, but they are pretty hardy. Its considered good practice to close before flowering. This is also because it shocks the plant and can reduce your yields, so it is recommended to veg at least a week after you take cuttings before flowering.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
It seems like everything worth doing right is just so damn time consuming.

Sucks, but i like things to be perfect (in my mind anyway).

When i make moms from seed i usually select from 20 - 40 seeds, grow them for 6 weeks, take a few clones off each and flower the clones after a short veg. The go back to the original seed plants that had the best clones and take clones to veg for a little before a real crop of a good cut.

...Nevermind finding males at the same time in a different spot :violin:

Time and Space.... ughh.

Imagine losing that work? it takes like 5 - 6 months to do right. ...the things we do :nono:

EDIT: Top of the page, thought i'd add some spice.

Last edited:

Chomp

madgravity34 said:
Ive done it with mandala strains, but they are pretty hardy. Its considered good practice to close before flowering. This is also because it shocks the plant and can reduce your yields, so it is recommended to veg at least a week after you take cuttings before flowering.

Taking cuttings does not "shock the plant" unless you do a Jason Voorhees and hack it to death. If you only take a few cuttings you won't harm a thing, and if you take them from the lower branches that aren't going to make it to the top of the canopy and into the light you will probably increase your yield.

Chomp

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf
I was about to say my yield defiantly was not effected I pulled atleast 2 zips off each plant

Jack Pot

My recent grow is from cuttings taken at two weeks into flower , three phenos. Every single cutting survived, didn´t even wilt. Timing with re-veg was quite ok imo.

I´ll take more cuts from the best plants now, at four weeks. I already have cuts taken in veg and another set taken in two weeks into flower... just in case.

Hate to narrow it down to one pheno but that´s what it will be. Haven´t made up my mind yet , busy smoking and comparing hehe.