What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can you please make a Low Bandwidth version of the Forums ?

St. Phatty

Since the winter storm that blew over 1 of the 2 telecom towers in my part of the county, I have been working with Less Internet.

Part of the solution is to use "Straight Talk Wireless hot spot", which is expensive unless you limit your downloads to 4 Gigabytes a month.

i.e. 130 Megabytes a day. It's like going back in time 25 years to 1998, when I was using fast dial-up.

I downloaded 2 traffic monitoring programs, "Networx" and "Bandwidth Monitor".

Bandwidth Monitor was a little more clear.

The first time I loaded it, IC Mag was the biggest overhead. 76 Megabytes just for loading the home page @

The second "fattest" page was Drudge Report, @ 59 MB.

It would be great if ICMag could make a low bandwidth version of the forums. This might involve text versions of the ads - because people with limited bandwidth still need genetics !

UPDATE - when I read ICMag on Sunday Feb. 5, it only used 18 Megabytes, even though I read like 10 different pages.

Either ICMag traffic varies widely, OR there was another page in the background being a bandwidth hog.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think it depends on the number of hi resolution pics in the threads you visit. Some browsers have an option to save bandwidth. But that means the pages you visit go through their servers to get made smaller by downgrading image resolution.

St. Phatty

I think it depends on the number of hi resolution pics in the threads you visit. Some browsers have an option to save bandwidth. But that means the pages you visit go through their servers to get made smaller by downgrading image resolution.

Actually I did zero viewing of the threads with pics like the "Frosty Bud" thread.

I was using Firefox at the time and I don't know how to stop images from downloading in Firefox.

On the machine I will be using after I turn in my Library hot spot tomorrow, I use Chrome and for that one I do know how to turn off images.