What's new

Can you over-water Coco?

G

Guest 18340

dwc-deep water coco! hehe couldn't resist.

I notice your other post candy colas, your roots are just poking through the bottoms now. Had you transplanted before those pots or straight in to them? Those pots are rather large to be watering as frequently as you do for the size they are and age. The top layer of the coco will dry out much sooner than the rest, especially in those pots.

Just a tip/suggestion if I may. Starting in smaller containers can help promote faster more vigiorous plants as they get root bound sooner. The sooner they get rootbound the sooner you can tease the roots and repot them into a larger container and so on. You can start in larger containers, but must water much more delicatly and is good to know the plants preferences. This wet to dry, wet to dry is good and is how oxygen gets into the roots (in addition to the oxygen 22% or so that coco holds when wet but NOT saturated).

The more wet to dry periods you can have the more active your coco system becomes. This is where the hydro characteristics of coco come in to play, its ability to be used like an active system. :2cents:

started in a lager"beer" cup -> 5"square (not seen, bogs style ;) -> large pot not sure the size. veg. 3 weeks or so.

if you don't want to veg, just stick with small containers the whole way thru :joint:

That is right on the money:yes:

Those look great princess! This is exactly what I'm going to do next time. This is my first grow so I'm extremely anxious and impatient. I also had no idea that my GDP (granddaddy purple) strain was such a slow grower. My intentions originally were to pregrow in smaller pots before transplanting into the 3 gallon pots. I received the cuttings, 8 days to root and then transplanted rockwool cubes into 3.5 inch square pots. I only left them in there for about 10 days when I should have left them in there for about a month. I vegged my plants for a month. It took that long to get them to about 6 - 8 inches tall. They could have stayed in the smaller squares for that entire time right? How long would you recommend keeping them in the smaller pots before xplanting? Does that sound about right?

L

LJB

what are the specific physical symptoms of

1) overwatering; and

2) underwatering?

in coco...

look forward to all members contributing to defining clear parameters, so all can know bright line, so to speak.

enjoy your garden!

Overwatering

inadequate oxygen supply to the roots causes wilting

underwatering?

Major wilting, but different. It looks like the life has been sucked out. It's actually pretty amazing to see a flowering plant that is literally dying of thirst pop back to full stature within a couple of hours of drawing water.

L

LJB

Gravity does its thing so both pots will have more water towards the bottom.

Which is why when planting sprouted seeds or cuttings into a 4" pot, I fill it up with coco only half way. Keg cups? Way too big. I want those babies to come close to being dry and need a drink every day. This method works to the tune of 17-21 days from sprouted seed to five true leaf sets using 13w CFL bulbs at 50w / sq. ft. (purely coincidental the very last part).

I'd like to do a side-by-side with clones to see if when in full on flowering mode, the plant that is basically kept wet or shall we say soggy grows more slowly than one that is kept just moist.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
To answer a question posed.

I have overwatered too many times in coco. The symptoms are SLOW growth and brown roots attributable to an undeveloped root system sitting in a pot of coco that is too big and too wet. I like the idea of only adding enough water so that the plant needs to be watered daily. Only with an undeveloped root system.

hilbie

coco early on is very easy to overwater, but its amazing just how quickly youll have to water a little to full saturation as the plants enter week 2. once they have decent roots its kind of hard to overwater but early on id be as careful as u are with soil not to overwater, and i also have found that seedlings that arent responding and growing normally sometimes is because the coco is drowing the very few roots they do have, at theese time i lightly squeeze my container of choice and fluff up the coco,it generally will raise an inch to two in the pot when im done, i even do this with any of my more mature plants(weeks not months) that look like the coco is to smashed down, and then i water again and then the process might repeat depending on age, it seems to help, ive had 2 seedlings respond overnite to this when they just werent growing for like 4 days. coco early on is like a soil grow, after 2-3 weeks its hydro time even though its an organic medium.

Last edited:

aboleth

With drainage I'd say it's pretty hard to overwater coco, but that doesn't mean you are being most efficient. I've been watering mine once daily with a fair amount of runoff and it's really been a no brainer. I could probably water every other day with similar results... perhaps i'll test :)

wickedpete66

Like any other medium . If root ball isnt developed then yes, once roots are devrloped then probably will be hard to over water. Coco only holds so much h2o.

Thats why I prefer hempy buckets.The coco never touches the water

SuperConductor

Veteran
The reason for watering coco often and the reason it improves growth rate so much is because you replace the H2O available to the roots and expell the waste gasses. I water every 2 hours using airated nutes with lots of runoff and my plants look fine to me.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was a pain in the arse setting all the drippers and timers up but it's done now and the plants are growing at near hydro rates this way so think i'll stick with it, well i suppose it is hydro actually. I use 7 litre pots and the plants are pretty big, 4 around 1200 watts.
When I transplant I water every other day for a couple of days then every day for a couple etc

hilbie

Which is why when planting sprouted seeds or cuttings into a 4" pot, I fill it up with coco only half way. Keg cups? Way too big. I want those babies to come close to being dry and need a drink every day. This method works to the tune of 17-21 days from sprouted seed to five true leaf sets using 13w CFL bulbs at 50w / sq. ft. (purely coincidental the very last part).

I'd like to do a side-by-side with clones to see if when in full on flowering mode, the plant that is basically kept wet or shall we say soggy grows more slowly than one that is kept just moist.

THX FOR THIS ADVICE, coming from soil backgroud to coco for the second time i figured beer cups to be just right in size for drying off quick intially as well as enough size for some decent growth, ive learned this is wrong even with once a week waterings. I put my new batch in the same cup half way filled up, apparently i didnt even see the first time i read your post that u use only 2 inches of soil.. thats interesting, the lower half of my beer cups were always moist, i new they were to wet to long, live n learn, so to get such fast growth as u did in roughtly 3 weeks, when and what did u size up to in container size, i heard along time ago about intial tap roots going atleast 4inches down, but uknow theres alot of tap root talk out there, esp with autos, grew them didnt notice a diff n root structure when i chucked the males.

anyways thanks for the heads up, ive lost good time on this present run, first i had prob with rapid rooters, then i relaize that im useing too much a medium thats notorious for drying out to quick, only my second run, cant really complain to much.......what can u do.

Last edited:

SuperConductor

Veteran
This is for a vert. setup? So at what height are you switching to 12/12 with just the four plants?

Yeah vert, they were under 1.5 feet I think didn't measure them so not totally sure of that but they weren't big, vegged for 3 weeks anyway and had a stupidity induced cal+mag deficiency for most of that and 1st week of flower too. They've totally filled the space now, my SSH is around 5 foot cheese and psycho over 3.5 high and similar in bushiness.

C

crownedsparrow

Quick comments:
Canna coco submersed completely in water still contains 40 percent oxygen. This is why overwatering a established plant is hard, even when soggy it still contains much more oxygen than soil.
Also on page 2 someone mentioned using floralicious and h202 (hydrogen peroxide). This would not be advised because floralicious contains micro organisms that make roots healthy and any h202 will kill all bacteria, beneficial or not.

I know this (rather should say I believe this to be true) because I was using h2o2 and coco mixed w 10 percent perlite and some foxfarm oceansoil.watering w tapwater using only GH 3 part system and I was adviced by a local hydro store employee that not only was the H2O2 and chlorine in the tap water would make floralicious basically useless, he also said that by altering the mixture of the canna blend by adding perlite I was altering the acidity and harming the microbacteria in the canna coco. Anyone have thoughts on this?

pinkskunk

iv just finished 6 plants in 1.5 gal pots half in canna coco and half some cheap bunnings brick cioir and the cheaper one is alot more coarse than the canna with heaps of strand, while the canna is great the cheapo one is alot easier to manage imo. i think its cause the canna is so fine you get less air so i need to flush here and there but the cheap one gets better run off hence never had to flush it during feeding. im thinking of doin a mix of the two next round because i think the canna will bind up the cheap stuff a bit better and the watering times could be at a happy medium compared to either of them alone. by the way i hand water start to finish.

rooted

he also said that by altering the mixture of the canna blend by adding perlite I was altering the acidity and harming the microbacteria in the canna coco. Anyone have thoughts on this?

perlite is both pH neutral and sterile, therefore has no ill effects on coco.....coconut husks are a natural byproduct, and are far more bio-active than the peat in organic farmers beloved mixes :) if perlite was harmful to beneficial bacteria & fungi, it wouldn't be used worldwide in horticultural applications, nor would it be found in 99% of potting soil/soilless mixes!

i realize that some coco growers cringe at the thought of cutting it with perlite. IMO they're misinforming others because they're convinced their way is better...sounds like one of them works at your hydro store :D

coco insulates roots, perlite retains water for them, it's a great relationship.

pure or cut, coco is the shit!

pinkskunk

i put my seedlings and newly rooted cuts in a 50/50 prlite coco mix as iv noticed i get a better root ball in a shorter time,which i think is cause the perlite keeps the mix nice and loose. might considder flowering in this mix when i can sort an easier watering method out.