What's new

can you help me save my garden?

Hi guys,

Much love and appreciate to you and this forum.

I have four plants that are in flower after a large veg period.

The plants are encountering issues,

There is a pest issue, maybe a nutrient issue as well due to longer flower times.

plant1.jpg
plant1leaves.jpg

Plant #1 - Fading and yellowing of leaves, leaves yellow quickly, the most yellow ones peal off with ease. Noticed a few leaves with white oily residue, which makes think thrips, but I’m not sure. Some yellow leaves also have black spots.

plant2.jpg

plant2leaves.jpg

Plant #2 - very small curved leaves, the tips of the leaves turn brown, usually about 20-30% of the leave.

plant3.jpg
plant3leaves.jpg

Plant #3 - Similar to the first, yellow leaves, a few with black spots. Plant #1 and Plant #2 have had a large portion of leaves removed after yellowing.

Known issues & treatment.

Fungus gnats made an appearance the garden and after adjusting my watering schedule, hunting them, light use of neem, and sticky traps, I’ve tiled the top two inches and removed all fungus gnats observed until they no longer appeared. I haven’t seen more than one or two fungus gnats in the past two weeks. However, symptoms persist.

I’ve pruned many of the yellowing leaves, removed the dead foliage, and utilize Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom Fox Farm fertilizer.

Today I padded the top layer with fresh Fox Farms soil in case a soil deviancy is a problem.

I’ve also captured a photograph of one of the pests.

pests.jpg

What is afflicting my garden? What is the best course of treatment? I’m already treating soil with Neem, tiling soil, sticky traps, still several weeks of flower ahead.

Can we save this crop?

Much love.

Attachments

• plant2leaves.jpg
    plant2leaves.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • pests.jpg
    pests.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 18

Sun&Soil

I would need to see a picture of the whole plant under good lighting to make any sort of suggestion.

I can tell you a few observations from my experience and hope that helps.

-A percentage of plants naturally prune themselves just after the stretch. This starts with the older fans.

-general rule of thumb, if you pull on the fading leaves and they give with no resistance look at nutrients..if there is resistance sit back and let nature take its course.

-look at the overall plant for health not individual leaves.

-you are going to end up with smokeable buds enjoy the grow

I would go easy with the nutes in your soil. There are simpler and cheaper ways then using bottles. If you treat your soil properly you can reach a balance between the pests and beneficials. You can also reuse your soil and it gets better each grow.

Sorry man I'm a little stoned and alot passionate. Growing should make us happy and I find the simpler the happier I am. I'm not trying to change how you want to grow. That's for you to discover. I've seen some really nice grows that came from just seed, soil, water, and light. There were bugs there too.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi guys,

Much love and appreciate to you and this forum.

I have four plants that are in flower after a large veg period.

The plants are encountering issues,

There is a pest issue, maybe a nutrient issue as well due to longer flower times.

View attachment 18952693 View attachment 18952694
Plant #1 - Fading and yellowing of leaves, leaves yellow quickly, the most yellow ones peal off with ease. Noticed a few leaves with white oily residue, which makes think thrips, but I’m not sure. Some yellow leaves also have black spots.

View attachment 18952695
View attachment 18952699

Plant #2 - very small curved leaves, the tips of the leaves turn brown, usually about 20-30% of the leave.

View attachment 18952703 View attachment 18952704
Plant #3 - Similar to the first, yellow leaves, a few with black spots. Plant #1 and Plant #2 have had a large portion of leaves removed after yellowing.

Known issues & treatment.

Fungus gnats made an appearance the garden and after adjusting my watering schedule, hunting them, light use of neem, and sticky traps, I’ve tiled the top two inches and removed all fungus gnats observed until they no longer appeared. I haven’t seen more than one or two fungus gnats in the past two weeks. However, symptoms persist.

I’ve pruned many of the yellowing leaves, removed the dead foliage, and utilize Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom Fox Farm fertilizer.

Today I padded the top layer with fresh Fox Farms soil in case a soil deviancy is a problem.

I’ve also captured a photograph of one of the pests.

View attachment 18952706

What is afflicting my garden? What is the best course of treatment? I’m already treating soil with Neem, tiling soil, sticky traps, still several weeks of flower ahead.

Can we save this crop?

Much love.
Preliminary opinion:

- Nitrogen deficiency

Clawing, chlorosis, early flowering.

- Insects

It is hard to tell if the insects are the cause or the effect.

What I would need to know is:

- what medium is used
- what nutrients are used
- what the pH and EC or PPM of the nutrients are.

I would spray the plants with water and a very light nutrient solution (50PPM max, just to prevent leaching nutrients from spraying with just water). Spray them at 5 seconds per node, inside the plant and then outside the plant, working with gravity.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sorry you are having problems friend. Looking at the clawing in the leaves tells me you have an excess of salts. Fertilizer toxicity. When you start to experience problems with your plants you need to do a pour thru and test the run-off. Do you have an EC and pH meter?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Gnats: let the soil dry out. You are watering too much. Increase the airflow, they don't like that. Leave a very small pot of just the soil mix in the grow area, kep that wet. Change it every 48 hours. They are dumb. They will lay in the wetter soil which you will throw out.

When switching to bloom, kep using the grow for a while. During stretch they still use a lot of N. More than is available in bloom on its own. Stop using grow after the stretch has finished.

I think the insect in your crop is springtails. Not easy to tell from photos, but if they are jumping a bit when you disturb the soil, probably springtails. They come in a variety of colors so if you compare some good google images, ignore color. Usually they don't get bad, but if there is a lot they could be eating your roots, especially in combo with wet soil or highly organic soil. Predatory mites in the soil, a decent dry down, repot older mother plants and hang sticky traps closer to soil level should help get rid of them.