What's new

Can we discuss bubblegum?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Need a bit more info...do share. :listen2:

Serious seeds have a big rep and sell seeds off the back of it. They were very good about 15 years ago but like most of the original Dutch companies, they lost parents and obviously replaced strains like ak47 with different parents. They sell poor genetics which are often prone to herm or auto flower. Then they blame anyone who complains.
Simon from serious seeds came on this site to answer the questions of disgruntled growers and he said that the reason was florescent lighting. He said his strains will auto flower and/her under those lights. Truth is they will under any lighting.
So he is clearly a fool or thinks his customers are. Buy at your own risk.

JimmyToucan

I ran a pack of FS bubblegummer a few years ago and found a nice one; very dense flowers with plump calyxes, sweet smelling but not the in your face bubble yum bubblegum taste. Still a good smoke although nothing I would use in terms of resurrecting the IBG from decades past.

My first and only experience with what I believe was the real deal came in the early 90's...my friends parents had some cultivars that had been shared between a group of growers, each supplying a cut passed between the group. She simply called it bubblegum; dense flowers, pungent fruity smell and the unmistakeable flavor of bubblegum. So much so that you could lick your lips 20 minutes after imbibing and get that sweet gum taste back on your tongue. It wasn't lacking for potency, although not her strongest. High was enjoyable; not knock your dick in the dirt do nothing type of buzz but a strong but mellow (as in not racy) happy stone. She also had one she called grape, which had a strong grape kool aid flavor. Anyone saying these flavors don't exist...well I feel sorry for you because for me at least, is part of the enjoyment of smoking.

I'm looking to make a move next spring and get back up and running and bubblegum will be my first project. In spite of thousands of options (many of them fads or just straight pollen chucked poorly thought out crosses) I can't help but return to my roots and the varieties shown to me by a good friend and mentor, and by many accounts an extremely talented grower. From what I've been able to gather from this thread, I think my plan will be to use the lines of BOG, along with MOSCA and possibly Crazy Monk, searching for the phenos I'm looking for and go from there. If I can locate a true cut of the IBG all the better. I really do miss her...of all the smoke she was one of my favorites. A very well rounded girl; not the strongest or biggest yielder, but the sum of her parts made her special to me among other reasons.

As far as breeding goes I have a lot more research to do as to how to go about things once I've isolated a few of the phenos I'm looking for. Not looking to be a breeder per se, just looking forward to being able to share what ive found. Hoping I can come up with something as true to the original as possible, for my own enjoyment and to be able to pass down to others so she isn't lost entirely. Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy in a 30 something body, but keeping these oldies but goodies around has some value. Any insight you all have would be appreciated. Thanks.

JT

G.O. Joe

Veteran
like most of the original Dutch companies, they lost parents and obviously replaced strains like ak47 with different parents. They sell poor genetics which are often prone to herm or auto flower. Then they blame anyone who complains.
Simon from serious seeds came on this site to answer the questions of disgruntled growers and he said that the reason was florescent lighting. He said his strains will auto flower and/her under those lights. Truth is they will under any lighting.

You assume and slander too far it has to be said here I know this and 5 clones of 3 females, and a reversed male from seed among other strains under 128W. Whatever Serious is offering as BG it flowers easily and well, absolutely not a negative or auto thing at all.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
i had the real deal mid 90's Ak47, whiterhino, jack herer, jack flash, bubblegum, Flo.. all which got hit with my My StrawberryKush> strawberrycough x masterkush pollen_
the bubblegum x strawkush grows just like the orig bubblegum with alot more yeild huge baseball bat size colas.. all the orig strains delivered unlike now everyones a pollen chucker and hermies are popping up everyplace ;)

Unlike in the old days...when just you were pollen chucking :)

That said..if you have beans of those real-deal 90's shizbiz crossed with your strawberry cough x master kush, release them or donate them, I'd love to sift through some of those crosses for fire!

I'm also of the opinion that pollen chucking is just a natural extension of growing, but yes I completely recognize what you are saying. The great strains of old comes from hybridization (pollen chucking) and then selection. Selection is what is lacking now IMO as no one can grow out 10000 progeny of a cross and select from that the best male parents used the the cross, or female daughters for inbreeding the next generation/s for the desired traits. Otherwise we are all really pollen chucking withing a narrow genepool. Anyways yeah the bottlenecks and all..

But yeah hope you stored you bubblegum cross seeds better than I stored my old ones..

bigbadbiddy

I don't think nobody CAN pheno hunt and progeny test through hundreds or thousands of plants.

I think nobody WANTS to do that because it doesn't pay.

Why spend 5 years to create one stable, regular seed line when you can just hit elite clones with selfed pollen and call it a day.

Pays way better, requires a lot less work, knowledge and skill.

JimmyToucan

I don't think nobody CAN pheno hunt and progeny test through hundreds or thousands of plants.

I think that's why people will gladly pay extra for more stable genetics as opposed to lottery pick stuff that any pollen chucker could do on a whim. Hence going for gear like BOG's rather than try and start where he did.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Ill pay extra money for every percent of proven difference in performance of seed progeny between the same cultivars bred in same conditions with the only variable being the amount of plants being selected.

Actualize that percentage before you try to put a value to it.

I have yet to find ANYONE who can and it one of the simple notions that out the perpetual white paper research drivel verses simple real world reality.

Don't make this a snake oil thread.

I smoked pounds upon pounds of bubblegum and blueberry in highschool like 95-99 in northern california. The old school bubblegum was awesome weed, it tasted and smelled exactly like bazooka joe, and had a lazy happy high that went perfect with coming back for your last 3 classes afterwards.i used to smell my bag in class from within my pocket, double ziplocked.

JimmyToucan

Ill pay extra money for every percent of proven difference in performance of seed progeny between the same cultivars bred in same conditions with the only variable being the amount of plants being selected.

Actualize that percentage before you try to put a value to it.

I have yet to find ANYONE who can and it one of the simple notions that out the perpetual white paper research drivel verses simple real world reality.

Don't make this a snake oil thread

That was not my intention. Sorry if it came out that way.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran

I think nobody WANTS to do that because it doesn't pay.

Why spend 5 years to create one stable, regular seed line when you can just hit elite clones with selfed pollen and call it a day.

Pays way better, requires a lot less work, knowledge and skill.
that's fine as long as someone has access to an elite bbg. but then if you have access you wouldn't need seeds lol

GuyManDude

yes, Bazooka Joe was Reeferman's version of Bubble gum. I have a pack of those.

keep in mind that the different strains grow differently for different growers using different nutrients in different geographical locations.

Mystic Funk

Bubbagum

Bubbagum

Here's a cross of bubblegum I've been working on for awhile now I thought you guys would like.
it's a cross of (Pre98 bubba kush x purple train wreck x Indiana bubblegum).
The only way I can describe the smell and taste is like someone is mopping the floor in a candy store with purple pine sol. The smell is very intense, it smells artificial.

Bubbagum
picture.php

picture.php

LostTribe

Premium user
Here's a cross of bubblegum I've been working on for awhile now I thought you guys would like.
it's a cross of (Pre98 bubba kush x purple train wreck x Indiana bubblegum).
The only way I can describe the smell and taste is like someone is mopping the floor in a candy store with purple pine sol. The smell is very intense, it smells artificial.

Bubbagum
View Image

View Image

Probably as far from bubble gum as you will get with a polyhybrid. Why are newbies so quick to try to reinvent the wheel with a bland polyhybrid rather than simply trying to reinforce the best attributes of a strain to its offspring?!?

Bah!

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Probably as far from bubble gum as you will get with a polyhybrid. Why are newbies so quick to try to reinvent the wheel with a bland polyhybrid rather than simply trying to reinforce the best attributes of a strain to its offspring?!?

Bah!

This made me laugh....Must not be having a great day.... At least it's 1/2 bg.... Lol... Not an urkle x blue dreamx sour bubble.... But I feel ya n agree... I can't see anything with train wreck being close to ibg... Tw shows no matter how deep in the line she is.... To LT... You made me do it....should have sumthin to show in your oth thread soon...

Mystic sounds like a nice plant though....

LostTribe

Premium user
This made me laugh....Must not be having a great day.... At least it's 1/2 bg.... Lol... Not an urkle x blue dreamx sour bubble.... But I feel ya n agree... I can't see anything with train wreck being close to ibg... Tw shows no matter how deep in the line she is.... To LT... You made me do it....should have sumthin to show in your oth thread soon...

Mystic sounds like a nice plant though....

I wasn't trying to be a dick so for that I sincerely apologize. However, simply perpetuating the polyhybridization of cultivars is leading us nowhere but down the drain.

And I want to point out that was a 3 way hybrid making it no more than 33.334% Bubblegum.

Also, its NOT Indiana Bubblegum, its Illinois for crying out loud!

My idea of a nice strain is that it is #1 Stabilized, and you won't get that with a polyhybrid EVER! When a strain is stabilized you can grow out 100 seeds and they look like clones off the same mom not all different specimens. Why pay for crap that is watered down rubbish? NO NO NO!!!

If you pop seeds and then want to make more do yourself a favor and dont mix them together. No one wants any of that in all actuality. I am sorry to go off here but even when dealing with PURE inbred lines it still takes a particular eye and years and years of knowledge and experience to be able to replicate a given cultivar in seed form. People now a days are too quick to try and make some NEW snappy multi hybrid strain without purpose. Even worse folks are destroying stable cultivar lines.

THAT IS A VERY SERIOUS DILEMA FOR THE FUTURE OF THIS PLANT. Working lines takes time and dedication and many resources while chucking only takes 1 bloom cycle and a 23 watt cfl bulb. There is a difference.

I want to come up with a complete list of pure strains that have either been lost or gone sour due to failure of our community to cohesively keep them alive in their proper form.

Praises to all, think about what I just said. Apologies for my offward tone its just that I truly feel that we as a collective are getting further and further away from the truth.
LT

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey whats he lineage in SSH or worse yet SLH? How many varieties made skunk 1? How many went into the original haze? Poly hybrid trash? lol...