What's new

Can this exhaust system work>sooo sorry for all my newbie questions

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that I pointed out in one of your earlier iterations that you need to have as much air coming in as you have going out. You aren't going to get any airflow if you are trying to exhaust into a small, closed-off closet. Think of air as a fluid - you can only stuff so much into a given container, and if the container is liquid tight, it just backs up and stops flowing once the container gets full.

If you exhaust outside, you have to provide for the same amount of air to get back inside - think cold drafts, in a major way. If you exhaust into the house, then the air has to make a big loop from the growroom, through the fan, ductwork, and filter, and then eventually back to the growroom again. Again, think fluid dynamics.

The inlet hole diagonally across from the exhaust is great. However, you need from 2 to 6 times the inlet area compared to the exhaust fan diameter for a passive inlet to work well. A 6" fan has 28" of area, so you need at least (2) 6" holes or a single 9" hole to keep up with it.

S

sweetestsin420

rives,what if i leave the crawlspace doors kinda cracked,its not air tight either way,would this work,id vent into the attic no problem,but i dont really wanna buy ducting,if i see some at homedepot for cheap,then ill buy it,how much does it usually cost at homedepot?

aaah! back to windows paint..

just when i though i was out,they pull me back in!-michael coreleone lol

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I doubt that "kinda cracked" is going to do it - basically, it all becomes part of the ductwork. You could let the door swing open under the power of the air movement, and it will find it's own balance (probably loaded toward the restrictive side). Check the Home Depot web site - I think a box of 6" insulated ducting is about $40 for 30', or in that neighborhood. Remember, if you vent into the attic the same amount of air has to be allowed back into the house, or the air stops moving. There are also moisture considerations.

hotboxes

How big is said space? How many times are you planning on exchanging air? and after it leaves your collection box threw your scrubber where is the filtered air going to go? intake should be double the size of your exhaust i.e. 1-4 in hole needs 8-1in holes, 4-2in, 2-4in, 1-8in no matter what. HD has all different kinds of duct work its all in the wording on their website. I use rigid less likely to get punctured but I am also running a small box its only 18.75 cuft. the search on here works quite well and maybe take a look at ventilation 101 in the equipt. and design sub forum

S

sweetestsin420

ill be planning on running the exhaust non stop during lights on,is that ok?the filtered air i guess wil be just there,or ill keep the door to the crawlspace open..damn,i guess i have more reading to do.at the end of the day,i dont need ot to be perfect,just to work,ill be fine with temps in the 80-85 zone

hotboxes

unless ur running co2 80 to 85 is to high. what kind of intake air are you going to use? if you can draw air from outside or from a basement or from air inside walls that would be better something around 70 or cooler. you are going to need some sort of passive exhaust to let the filtered air out or else its ultimately going to create back pressure on your fan and filter. preferibly away from your passive intake so your not sucking in hot air back threw your system.
run your fan and scrubber non-stop all the time, just because the lights are off don't mean the smell is going to stop smelling lol. You are right it dont need to be perfect but it needs to be safe physically and mentally weather you are legal med grower or not last thing you need to worry about is that knock on your door by popo cuz your grow is lingering into the street. plus advertizing doesn't just attract cops but thieves as well. not like you can call the cops to report your illegal grow has been stolen.
whats the specs on this closet or what ever it is? do you have pictures of the area? your diagram doesn't really show the whole lay out of your build the more real info you can provide the more help we can give.

Scrogerman

Veteran
listen to Rives i was gonna advise you the same. N do yaself a favour, bite the bullet & invest in some ducting & duct into the attic or cavity , simple. I think your asking for a headache trying to wing-it, get it right to begin with & less will go wrong. forget the upper compartment as a way of exhausting, id rip the shelf out & utilise the head room esp as your running vert, or use it as a cloning/mother chamber.

btw, what are the dimensions/area of this cupboard?

G'Luck

Last edited:
S

sweetestsin420

I have several diagram,of what im hoping to do,heres my closet,and yeah i guess ill do a trial run,with the upper cabinet doors slightly open,ill get to it right now,if not ill just get the ducting,hopefully homedepot has non insulated

Latest posts

Latest posts