What's new

Can there be to much air in res?

Carboy

I know the standard is 1 watt of air power per gal on water. And You know how we like to overdo things. So how much air is to much? Can you have to much air? I am just wondering i went ot get a new air pump today and they didn't have the one I wanted. So I go the same model but bigger. It is 112w lol. My current res has 14 gal in it. Thats 8 watts per gal. It really gets the ole res bubbling.

The 1watt/gal is a fine rule of thumb, but it doesn't make a damn if the air isn't DIFFUSED. Plus a few degrees temp difference makes a drastic difference in the amount of dissolved oxygen the water can hold.
I'm working on the theory that you can't have too much.
I run commercial flex disc fine air diffusers that supposedly makes a million 3mm bubbles per cubic foot of air. Temp no more than 68.

Carboy

Standaman

I was looking at the actual heaters but they aint good for cooling as i imagined, it's just that it said temps from 16c upwards, i got a little bit excited. But it's the chiller that i want but they are like £350-500 unless i go on ebay but not too excited about sending stuff to my address. I'm sure i'll get around it though.

I so wish i had a/c right about now your temps sound wicked Asil, i think i need them temps lol

turbolaser4528

Veteran
thanks standaman, I think im going to have to buy a mini fridge/freezer just to reduce the noise and vibration coming from my eco plus 3 commercial air pump (35 watts 70-80lpm) Ivr got it hanging from bungie cords but its still real loud.

Maybe ill suspend it in the fridge by drilling a hole in the top of the fridge or freezer, and attatching the bungie cord to that suspending the pump in cold air, and the freezer has fiberglass in the walls I dont think any sounds or vibration will get out of it. We shall see though..

Standaman

Turbo i don't know about making any holes inside the fridge/freezer could be a bad move maybe a glue or resin of some kind?

I'm just seriously looking at a/c can that help my res temps? One of my babies looks hurt and i think it's gotta be my temps in the res 26c just before lights of today 20c at lights on all the others are fine even my runt.

Asil

Turbo i don't know about making any holes inside the fridge/freezer could be a bad move maybe a glue or resin of some kind?
I have drilled many fridges. I have always had a keg of beer ice cold waiting on me. All they are is a sandwich of metal,insulation,and metal. Nothing a metal hole saw can't take care of. Just make sure you are drilling through the sides or front. I would stay away from the back.

I a side note I was told I will be going out of town next week for work. That and the predicted forcast for the first week in June is in the middle 90's. I have to come up with a quick res cooling idea. Maybe I will just order that chiller it will save me a bunch of headache. Well the honey is chriping in the back ground.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
yeah I might have to do this, my vibrating my mind, driving me crazy. I cant imagine the plants like it. Debating on whether I should spend 180 bucks on an alita 40 pump, since it will almost silent I hear. anyone have an alita?

Asil

Not related to air,but I just checked the roots on my plants and a few of them have tangled roots and they are a light brown where the tangle is. Also on a couple of plants the very first set of leaves that grow are splochy and one set was dried and crispy? I am thinking thrips. the rest of the plant looks great. I am at a loss. On the other hand they are growing like mad. I would say they will have doubled in size by next week.

N

narutonut

Asil sounds like you got nute burn/ heat stress and res temps are too high. GET IT FIXED!!!!! LOL seriously though do it before you leave town for a week or you are really gonna regret it.

Asil

My res temps are good, they might get to 72 before they come back down to 67. I got some stuff for the bugs if they are there. I got my light about three feet above my plants. Temps stay below 80 during the hottest part of the day and drop to 72 over night. I don't know but I will fix it.

Latest posts

Latest posts