What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Oscillating Fans improve Outdoor Yield or Resin ?

St. Phatty

Indoors I have always had good results from going crazy with oscillating fans.

Even had fans blowing down on the plants from above.

I know outdoors one of the nice things is being able to chill and rely on Mother Nature, natural wind, the Sun, etc.

BUT if you were desperate to MAXIMIZE production or resin - does more wind, even if it's from a fan, help ?

I have used fans outdoors when I had plants in a "grow tunnel".

But I never got really thorough with it.

E.g. for one plant 4 feet across, maybe a total of 6 pedestal oscillating fans. 3 high and 3 low. So they're spaced around the plant, 120 degrees apart, like a peace sign.

Would that help with some strains ?

I believe in fans, but outdoors probably not. unless the air is dead calm. I think the major factors are length and intensity of sunlight, and humidity.

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

If I was desperate to max total resin production outdoors, I'd make efforts to see to it that the plant captures maximum sunlight before I'd start thinking about if fans might supply more CO2 to the plants. The air outside is already naturally CO2 enhanced beyond what plants are evolutionarily accustomed too. If the creation of resin starts when the plant uses sunlight as a power source to capture CO2 from the atmosphere then its the amount of sunlight that the plant captures which is probably the limiting factor, the sun hasn't gotten 50% brighter over the past century, its still the same as it ever was, but the amount of CO2 available has increased about that much.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I wouldn't waste my time with fans outdoors unless you have some really bushy plants and forgot to thin them out... Fans would be good then in my opinion to get some airflow under the canopy