What's new

Can-lite filter

E

ekomsi

I have not tried Can lite, but I had a can 100 combo and now I have a big phresh carbon filter with 12in vortex fan. The weight difference between the can filters and phresh filters are that the Can Filter is made of steel, and phresh is made of aluminum. That is the main reason for the weight difference.

Between the two I like my phresh filter better but that might be, because its a totally bigger (fan 12in vortex/phreshfilter) combo then the can 100 combo.

E

ekomsi

I have not tried Can lite, but I had a can 100 combo and now I have a big phresh carbon filter with 12in vortex fan. The weight difference between the can filters and phresh filters are that the Can Filter is made of steel, and phresh is made of aluminum. That is the main reason for the weight difference.

Between the two I like my phresh filter better but that might be, because its a totally bigger (fan 12in vortex/phreshfilter) combo then the can 100 combo.

eyes

Veteran

the weight difference is not only the aluminum metal of the phresh as opposed to the can, but the can uses pellets(carbon glued together( as oppose to granular lighter carbon in the phresh. i have a mt air and its light as shit as well.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I was shown the lightweight filter (phresh or phat ?? not sure ?) that could replace my Can 100 and just couldn't come to grips with it psychologically...lol. That little thing is supposed to replace my 130lb Can 100?

It was just a hard thing to throw my security into the wind for some new smaller filter.. or anything new filter wise for that matter. I wonder how many people's security Odor Sok has compromised.

Unless I can see some hard evidence (beyond just reviews) I'll stick with carbon weight. The more the merrier.

How much air you pull through a scrubber as well as environment also play a huge roll in scrubber effectiveness so even reviews can be misleading.

shitzu

I know im new here and this is an old post but I jus had to pop in after lurkin for few years and give my 2 cents ont his matter.
IMHO and exp its all int he ratings. not the carbon weight when u all tlin compare this to that and such. u look at the can lite 8x40" 1000cfm filter and look at phreshs 8x40 and their ratings.
now look at canfilters site whee on their old school canfilters they give a few different ratings. NOT JUST ONE!!!'
with the old school filters like the can 99 for example they give this
Max Recirculating (Scrubbing) CFM: 1236 cfm / 700 m³h
Max Exhaust CFM: 618 cfm / 350 m³h@ 0.1 sec contact time
Recommended Min Airflow: 309 CFM / m³h
Prefilter: Yes
Flange: 6", 8"
Dimensions: (with pre-filter)
·Outside Diameter: 30.5cm / 12"
·Height: 99.1cm / 39"
·Total Weight: 27.8 kg / 61 lbs.
·Carbon Weight: 20.8 kg / 46 lbs.
·Carbon Bed Depth: 5cm / 2"
Max Operating Temp: 80ºC
Pressure drop at max cfm: 180pa / .75"wg
this filter in particular the can99 IMHO is what one would/should be comparing when comparing phresh can lite etc to old school cans. carbon weight on phreshs and canlites 8x40 both are 40lbs give or take a pound I think, and cans original can99 has 46 pounds of carbon and a total weight of 61pounds. now subtract the weight of the differentce int he steel construction vs the liteweight aluminum and minus the weight of whatever binders they use for the pellets in the old cans. and u prolly got the same amount in carbon weight.
now heres where the deception is IMO. one would look at the canlite or phresh 8x40's and see their single rating for 1000cfm and think oh heck my 6inch fan only puts out 400cfm so definitely don't need that big a filter. so they prolly end up buying a smaller 6 or 8inch mini canlite or 6x24phresh.
idk if anyones following me still or not but if u look at the old cans ratings like I said erlier they give 3 different cfm rating. max recirculating cfm rating(which is if ur running a sealed room and ur simply scrubbingthe inside air over and over therefore being able to run at higher cfms for no fear of pushing small amounts of possible odor that passes thru. . u also got the max exhaust cfm rating which is the highest cfm they recommend u run on it while still being able to maintain an efficient scrub of the air on a SINGLE PASS EXHAUSTING OUT OF UR ROOM. and then u got the minimum recommended airflow, which is as low as u really wana go as far as pairing a fans cfm with the filter.
SO DO I NEED TO EVEN ASK wat happened to the 3 different ratings for different filtering methods when comes to the new fancy liteweights on market now.
what ive always pondered over was this fact of the ratings and never to get a strait up answer form any filter company other than can themselves. to which I was told to simply follow the same guidelines with the new canlites as done in past wit old cans. hence take the labeled listed cfm on all these new litewight filters and u simply got the ratig for max recirculating cfm rating only. now divide that in half and u got ur max exhaust cfm rating(single pass out of room) and if u really wanna be as efficient as possible divind that then in half yet again. basically a 1.4 the cfm of the rating given on box, and pair pair ur fan that way.
example. I run a canfan 6"HO fan ontop a canlite 8x40 after goin thru 2 other smaller sizes prior only to find that the way I explained the math behind the ratings and what u want it to do is the way it should be. I used to run a can66 and was perfect all the while til I started playin with the new liteweights. and if usin a liteweight and in order to get same results as a can66 I used to get I have to run the canlite 8x40.
so imho its all a numbers and size illusion to sell another product. prolly easier to sell lighter ones anyways due to freight and weight of load etc, therefore....
im not sayin the companies are out to screw anyone. its just so many folks are being fooled into buyin a filter thinkin its paired right accordin to the cfm only to buy new one soon after cuz don't last long. and not to mention how many folks ever even had the chance to experience an oldschool canfilter in order to truly give an honest opinion.
so when u wanna talk bout comparing the lite versions to the old school filters u gotta figure in the math I explained above and pair it with a heavyweight with the same if not similar ratings then lok at the size and weight total difference and then ....
but in all, the old school cans are still heavy as fug an all that but imho and exp their still the champs. I jus feel these companies are lookin for way to phase em out, not due to quality but more for the purpose of reducing production and shipping costs and all that stuff.
I hope all that made some sense to someone, as after readin this thread it reminded me of all the years of frustration when startin out growing and tryin to decide on what filter best etc and havin to make an educated choice on my own without a clue how things worked . if id only known then what I know now , when I dove into getting a liteweight filter the very first time years agao I woulda got appropriate sized one and maybe thoguth a lil more high ly of them, and not choose to stick by the old cans instead. their a pain to lug around and expensive to ship etc but they been around since the dawn of growin indoors it seems and if they never worked worth a darn they wouldn't be around still today. hopefully someone will see this and benefit from it.

the gnome

Veteran
thanks for taking the time to run that for us shiztu
very informative

You know what I got for you wang?
First hand expierence, the phresh filters I have used that were half the size of can filters, lasted longer, and smelled better at the end of a year when I change them out, then the 60lb can filters I used to use before switching.

just first hand expeirence, you can't fake or hype that into something it isn't.

if you can't figure that one out your impaired in some way...
glad to see someone that's ran both brands with a solid opinion.
i run a can50 and 150 and love em, only prob i have is the weight.
even the 50 stays on the floor.
I may give phresh filters a try next time

rangergord

I love my canlite 6 paired with a canfan max 6. Size and weight were better for my closet. No problem at all with performance.