What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I use this seabird guano for the entire flowering phase?

Elf777

I was wondering if this seabird guano is good to supply enough nutrients to the plant in flowering phase. I know bat guano is good for this, but would this also work? Nutrients are shown in the pic.

Not sure if I should buy a flowering nutrient bottle ( I always use bio bizz bio bloom) or not, I won't if this is enough.

Attachments

• 339309909_231382476127909_2543012558462885938_n.jpg
    339309909_231382476127909_2543012558462885938_n.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 64

moose eater

My initial thought is 'Yes,' but watch for any signs of lock-out resulting from residuals (esp. Magnesium, etc.,). And know that what's already -in- your soil/soilless mix is a significant factor as well..

moose eater

You need more potassium in my opinion. The P/Ca sounds like it'd be good bet for early flowering/for awhile but yeah I think your gonna have to add potassium somehow. Depends on your soil too though
Dpends on how much K is already in the mix.

I've had to struggle keeping Mag and K down, as it seemed to be in all kinds of stuff I added, especially high-end commercial (even organic) worm castings.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Can Cannabis Overdose on Calcium ?

I note that Bat Guano has a high Calcium content.

I just bought a 20 pound bag of Bone Meal for $25 and I have a bunch of Organic Wood Ash that is about 1% Calcium by weight.

St. Phatty

I just bought a 20 pound bag of Bone Meal for $25 and I have a bunch of Organic Wood Ash that is about 1% Calcium by weight.

moose eater

I would say that cannabis can eventually OD on nearly anything elemental.

But check your bone meal's source, and if possible, test for actual P and Ca.

I had a 50-lb. bag of streamed bone meal years ago (allegedly 3-15-0, as per usual with such a product), livestock feed grade in that specific case, and regardless of how much I added (within reason) I kept coming up deficient for P in my testing, with very little change to the numbers as I increased the additional amounts.

'growingcrazy' inquired in one discussion about this phenomenon, if perhaps the bonemeal was sourced at a plant that also produced broth, which might be leeching the value of the stuff before passing it on to unsuspecting agriculture folks.. (We -are- living in the age of somewhat opportunistic corporatism these days)

I never confirmed if this was the case for sure, but it was the most worthless bone meal I've ever had the displeasure of buying a large bag of.

Burnt tips = Hypercalcemia. Seems pretty common to me.

Cannabis hyperaccumlates metals. It's favorite metal to accumulate is Calcium.

I ruined my mother plants and half my crops by top dressing bone meal long ago. Just a warning. I blamed the manufacturer at first, assuming they spiked it with solubles. Then I blamed the phosphorus, then I blamed the organic residue, then I blamed the calcium. It put me on a long journey of testing organic inputs. In the end I concluded the obvious. Ground up bones are completely unnatural to Earths soil. Plants have never evolved to grow in soils with powdered bones.

St. Phatty

I had a 50-lb. bag of streamed bone meal years ago (allegedly 3-15-0, as per usual with such a product), livestock feed grade in that specific case, and regardless of how much I added (within reason) I kept coming up deficient for P in my testing, with very little change to the numbers as I increased the additional amounts.

'growingcrazy' inquired in one discussion about this phenomenon, if perhaps the bonemeal was sourced at a plant that also produced broth, which might be leeching the value of the stuff before passing it on to unsuspecting agriculture folks.. (We -are- living in the age of somewhat opportunistic corporatism these days)

I never confirmed if this was the case for sure, but it was the most worthless bone meal I've ever had the displeasure of buying a large bag of.

I thought the main ingredient in Bone Meal is Calcium Tri-Phosphate.

But I don't try to remember all the names of all the chemicals.

They all combine with Oxygen.

Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium are all Alkaline metals.

Once I made some Magnesium powder and it was tough. Extremely hard to powder, WAY harder than powdering steel/ iron.

It turns out there's a lot more elemental Magnesium than there is Aluminum in the Solar System elements, which are different than a typical Star's elements.

Like 7 times more Magnesium.

Also some of the plant nutes, e.g. Calcium 40, is Potassium 40 that has decayed.

jackspratt61

All bonemeal I've used had too much na..which caused exact problems you speak of

moose eater

All bonemeal I've used had too much na..which caused exact problems you speak of
Similar variances in results and qualities were sometimes found in guanos (sea bird, especially bat guano over the years, etc.) and in other high-end amendments as well.

Finding a reputable source for amendments and being aware of any changes over time practically became an obsession for a long time.

Dolomite lime is another that I've witnessed major variances in quality and content.

Even with a reputable source, eventually their source dries up and they shift from one pit to another, or one cave to another, or one seashore area to another, as amendments are depleted.

Fish bone meal has been another one where company to company, what kind of fish are being processed, what part of the fish is being processed, and more.

Commercial organic Earth Worm Castings provided another intro to something touted as "No, it's really good for your plants," (at $50+ for a cubic ft. for 'good stuff' up here a couple years ago) to later discover via testing that the Magnesium and Potassium were outrageous high in many cases.

It's sometimes been a constant effort to maintain good quality amendments. A true rabbit hole at periods in the past..

Thanks for the pointers on Na. and bone meal.

I now try to buy from reputable outlets who maintain relatively current testing data on their amendments. Found one such place in Seattle area a couple years back, and they'll ship at reasonable rates to Alaska.

jackspratt61

Similar variances in results and qualities were sometimes found in guanos (sea bird, especially bat guano over the years, etc.) and in other high-end amendments as well.

Finding a reputable source for amendments and being aware of any changes over time practically became an obsession for a long time.

Dolomite lime is another that I've witnessed major variances in quality and content.

Even with a reputable source, eventually their source dries up and they shift from one pit to another, or one cave to another, or one seashore area to another, as amendments are depleted.

Fish bone meal has been another one where company to company, what kind of fish are being processed, what part of the fish is being processed, and more.

Commercial organic Earth Worm Castings provided another intro to something touted as "No, it's really good for your plants," (at $50+ for a cubic ft. for 'good stuff' up here a couple years ago) to later discover via testing that the Magnesium and Potassium were outrageous high in many cases.

It's sometimes been a constant effort to maintain good quality amendments. A true rabbit hole at periods in the past..

Thanks for the pointers on Na. and bone meal.

I now try to buy from reputable outlets who maintain relatively current testing data on their amendments. Found one such place in Seattle area a couple years back, and they'll ship at reasonable rates to Alaska.
Eden blue gold has excellent amendments with COA available if you ask.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
I was wondering if this seabird guano is good to supply enough nutrients to the plant in flowering phase. I know bat guano is good for this
Bat guano has very little N & K, unlike the seabird guano. I always use bat guano with a good fertilized tomatoe/vegetable soil and my plants got everything for the flowering phase.