What's new

Can I use Redwood soil?

mad librettist

Veteran
In almost all natural systems, the upper few soil horizons are the most crucial and most active.

I think putting cannabis in the same category as acid loving perennials is a mistake. Cannabis like a pH close to neutral. Soil that grows blue azaleas wont be great for cannabis.

Soil sustaining redwoods will be moderated by the wrong fungi for cannabis. What we are after is soil moderated by arbuscular mycorrhizae. hh made the best suggestion, which is to use local top soil. Preferably soil has native annual plants growing in it.

h.h.

Veteran
Is arbuscular mycorrhizae all that we are after? There seems to be many benefits to the soil itself from a result of a high non mycorrizae fungal content that indirectly benefit the plant.
I find benefit in getting a slight layer of white fuzz in my holes a few days before transplanting. I was using Great White. I'm now using ground up black beans. It looks the same. Go figure. The fungi can't seem to tell the difference either. Just a slight dusting along with the oats over a bacterial dominant soil. A touch of the redwood soil mixed in with the mulch or dusted over it may have a few benefits. Just find it where it has been already scraped up. Otherwise just do a rice culture. I'd probably try it mixed with oats though just cause.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sea, Outside of the OP using the word redwoods, I do not believe one person focused on the fact that they were redwoods, except in discussion of the suitability of the soil for cannabis, besides for you, in a decision to criticize, where none was due. If I am mistaken, please point it out. (
or** call you out specifically
if not me then who?) Rather it would appear only you had a kneejerk reaction to the word.

From my stance, I always discourage, as much as I can the pilfering of soil/humus from an eco-system. I do not want that responsibility on my head and I have witnessed how this can escalate. Thus my statement about telling two friends.

As far as root mass goes on conifers, in my life I have knocked over many large trees with heavy machinery (Ponderosa Pine, Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar, Hemlock, Engelman Spruce) and more oft than not, the roots are spread out and relatively shallow. I cannot say the same for Cottonwoods, having argued with them for hours; even days.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The main problem with collecting in the redwoods, is that they are in California and there are so darn many of us here.
Tell two friends....

the nice thing about harvesting top soil from a weedy field is that not only will your cannabis prefer it to the fungally dominated forest soil, but the weedy field will be able to heal itself MUCH faster than the soil ecosystem of an old growth forest.

Not chopped liver

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow. so many people praise microbeman but he comes across as such a douchebag when you actually read his posts. sad.

Thank you. That's why I use my db arrogant shit eating newbie stomping avatar!

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never said I was normal and also never said you were a newbie. Go back and read what I have actually written, which inspired your initial comment and give it some thought.

Don't forget to thank me for your +reps!

Last edited: