What's new

Can I just throw a few worms in?

TACOE

if you add worms to the pots make sure you are organic, you cannot use salt based ferts

its been said that red wigglers from a bait/fishing store are the fastest at converting veg material to food. earthworms take longer I guess but are free, just do some work and dig up an area that has lots of composting material like beside a hedge or alongside a garden.

this is the organic forum... lol.

and i believe what you said is true, but buying from a bait store sounds expensive.. idk.
crawlers (if that's what your talking about) don't do well in shallow dirt. - I did however start a bin with worms from the garden, some red, some crawlers.. which seem to be doing fine. I guess the crawlers will just die off in time, and the good ones will stick around.

red worms can be free too.

I was told that farmers "back in the day" would shove a stick in the ground and shake it around to bring em up.. they dont like vibration

also suggested is watering the ground heavily to bring worms to surface (i guess they dont wanna drown.. hmmmm)

in the garden, under (and on) the crispy skin of squashes that had been left over the winter, was a ridiculous amount of what i believe to be red worms. rediculous amount... all sizes.. they are in a new bin now.

mad librettist

Veteran
well I may be wrong, but I think you may be referring to wormdirt.

Yes, that's right, for that get up and grow, try blended, splendid wormdirt.

TACOE

just thinking while puffin. and if I'm correct to grow in a medium which is actually compost and worms is called vermipost or vermicompost. look that up.

yeah..

no.

vermiCOMpost (or v-compost as some dude on here called it once lol) is the stuff that went thru and came out the worm. the worm composted it

what you are talking about is... compost.. with worms in it lol.
and it would be tough to grow in containers of straight compost.

edit: ml beat me to it. wormdirt lol.. at least madlib is nice.

yeah..

no.

vermiCOMpost (or v-compost as some dude on here called it once lol) is the stuff that went thru and came out the worm. the worm composted it

what you are talking about is... compost.. with worms in it lol.
and it would be tough to grow in containers of straight compost.

edit: ml beat me to it. wormdirt lol.. at least madlib is nice.
so it would be just growing in castings then. I thought you ept veg material for wormfood in it as well.
anyways there is lots of info on it online.
I just started my wormbin and dug earthworms as red wigglers were 4.95/10 at the bait store so I dug up an old flower bed and picked 200+ earthworms and put in.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you use compost as your base, you will always have worms in the pots. i always know which ones end up with a good amount of worms as the topsoil eventually turns into 100% castings.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Such great information. I have a compost base. Just poor compost.

a very easy solution to that, go find some organic matter. pile it up, let it decompose, in time you have your own compost that kicks ass.

special hookah

a very easy solution to that, go find some organic matter. pile it up, let it decompose, in time you have your own compost that kicks ass.

Definitely. I remembered piling up old leaves this past winter and decided to use that as my compost. When I dug into the center I found hundreds of worms that I transplanted to my garden.

supermanlives

Veteran
yeah wigglers at bait shops there are several kinds of worms . night crawlers dont do as well as wigglers. wigglers are mainly trout and panfish bait and night crawlers for bass and such. i preferr beadhead prince nymph over san juan worm

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Definitely. I remembered piling up old leaves this past winter and decided to use that as my compost. When I dug into the center I found hundreds of worms that I transplanted to my garden.

you made leaf mold compost, its GREAT stuff! sift it to get the compost out, or use it as the best damn mulch ever.