What's new

Can I do a 1000w vert with only 6 plants?

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Or not worth it?

6 plant limit

Size area to chose
4x4
4x5 8 ft ceilings
5x5

1000w vertical

Flower in 5 gallon buckets

Stanley blower directly under bulb blowing copious amounts of air up at the bulb, scrubber with 500cfm 8 inch fan exhuasting.

Can it be done this way?

Do I have enough space for that big of a bulb?

How much space do I need between the bulb and the plants? 10 inches? This seems simpler than horizontal scroging well sorta.

How tall can the plants get before 1 bulb isn't covering enough to be worth it..... like a bulb covers say a 4 ft plant pot to tip but say a 6 foot plant wouldn't get enough light?

Any help will bring karma

GS

labtec

I'm going to try and do that on my next run. My plan is to attach a modular vertical scrog to each pot. I'll probably going to use 6 or 7, 7gallon pots. Then I'll put them around my 600.
In my double 600 watt chamber I have the bulbs hung on a cable system with a 14" high speed fan set on low, sitting in the air intake hole. I have a 6" vortex with a 550 cfm phresh filter set at about 3/4 on my speed controller.
With a 1000 watt I would probably do at least 5x5 if not bigger. It all depends on if you're going to use a cooltube. I think on one of the first few pages of the vertical section they have a thread about bud distance from the bulb.
I think you're also looking at around 3 ft for the plants. They can be bigger, but you won't hit them with as much intensity. In my chambers with 600s, the ideal range from top to bottom is about 2ft. I do have buds higher and lower, but they aren't nearly the same size as the ones in that area.

M

mexilandrace

just trim em so that there is even light penetration.

I have done 4 plant verticles, anything is worth it if you spend the time to plan it out and do it right

johnnyla

Veteran
how high do you hang the lights in vert? mine are even with my plant tops. aka top of light top of light bulbe top of plant.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I'm planning on hanging the bulb, not from a cable but rather a rigid but retractable arm so there's no wobble and I can move a lever and it's up out of the way. Kinda cool I have all that type of stuff laying around..... I inherited an old mans garage collection lol.

Seems less of a hassle to just throw 6 plants in a circle around a bulb. I mean compared to pruning bushes or scrog and I can't sog.

complete and utter waste of time/money/effort/space/nutes. completely!!!

Time?
Saves a lot of time not having to top/ fim/supercrop just put plant in room. Pretty straightforward

Money
Cheaper, no hood needed

Effort
Non attached untrained plants are easier in my experience.

Space
Well I have 3000sq.ft. But figure I could spare a little

Nutes?
Got me there, coco uses an ass load of water and nutes.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I'm going to try and do that on my next run. My plan is to attach a modular vertical scrog to each pot. I'll probably going to use 6 or 7, 7gallon pots. Then I'll put them around my 600.
In my double 600 watt chamber I have the bulbs hung on a cable system with a 14" high speed fan set on low, sitting in the air intake hole. I have a 6" vortex with a 550 cfm phresh filter set at about 3/4 on my speed controller.
With a 1000 watt I would probably do at least 5x5 if not bigger. It all depends on if you're going to use a cooltube. I think on one of the first few pages of the vertical section they have a thread about bud distance from the bulb.
I think you're also looking at around 3 ft for the plants. They can be bigger, but you won't hit them with as much intensity. In my chambers with 600s, the ideal range from top to bottom is about 2ft. I do have buds higher and lower, but they aren't nearly the same size as the ones in that area.

Good, I figured there would be that optimum trade off so 6 footers aren't much worth it unless I wanna stack bulbs.

Do you trim the backs of the pants away from the light or do you rotate?

How tall on the vert scrog? I have a bunch of the wire cube grids that you make storage cubes out of.

solarz

hey george....my only advise would be to go WAY bigger with your buckets/tubes....i'd go at least 10 gals instead of those 5's. But other than that...go for it. As soon as my next crop is finished, i'm turning my 4x4 Vert, w/ (2) 600's and only using 2 rows around the tent. But i say for it, but if you can only use 6 plants, get the most out of those bitches....go bigger on the pots...you'll be glad later.

solarz

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Jesus how long would I veg em 10 gallons haha

Seriously though, that might be the plan... to go bigger, eventually I'll be doing 12 plants at a go but not this time.

The first run will get me setup with meds for myself. Then I want to just blast some trees with light....... I had no idea how many people around this area are getting raped for their legal meds by some people. I wanna be able to help..... free ounces ya dig? :xmasnut:

I did some reading on distance to bulb and read things like you need at least 1.5 feet from the bulb on all sides? 3 foot no mans land around the bulb?

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Hello Friend!

Don't forget to attach hooks to the ceiling so you can tie up the TREE branches.

Solarz is right on the money. Big Pot + Big Tree = Hella Buddha!

Be patient and let those gals vegetate well! Big leafs don't lie.

Since using big pots is a bit complicated for flushing please avoid at all cost over feeding.

Instead, get familiar with foliar feeding.

I had great success using Worm Castings Tea / Molasses / wood ash and other organic nutrients (fresh urine) during most flowering and only Synthetic Fertilizers to trigger some flowering reactions along the way.

Very hungry here so gotta go now!

SuperConductor

Veteran
I started my current 1200W grow with 6 plants and was expecting it to be cool and easy, what a dumb ass lol Two turned out to be male so I went hardcore hydro on the remaining 4 watering with highly airated nutes every 2 hours and they filled the space no problem, I'm in 1.5 gallon pots too no need for huge pots if you properly root them out.
I started a few diesel ryder f2s to fill the space when i saw the males but now there's no space for them at all. I wont get a gram per watt this grow but in my eyes it's worked out well as it could have been a complete disaster, I'll be happy with 20 oz (well not really but happier).

So yeah anyway, growing from seed is a complete and utter waste of time lol (j/k). 6 plants is cool in that space it all depends how tall they are/will get.

SuperConductor

Veteran
Nutes?

Do you recirculate your nutes? I wouldn't grow in coco if I was running to waste, way too expensive as I use a lot of runoff.

On distance from bulb I think you want around 20-22 inches diameter for a 1000 watter, i've got similar for the 2 600s, make sure nothing is poking throught the screen though and your fan below the bulb is always on when the lamp is.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
just trim em so that there is even light penetration.

I have done 4 plant verticles, anything is worth it if you spend the time to plan it out and do it right

^ Spot on IMO :yes:

Train and trim to fit, be firm, they love it....

I did some reading on distance to bulb and read things like you need at least 1.5 feet from the bulb on all sides? 3 foot no mans land around the bulb? __________________

From what I heard, that is probaly right with a 1k, I have just had my vert cage thang made 120cm wide, planning on using 600s. As it is a cage, it is super easy [I hope... the plan] to tie back branches that get too close - just where you want them. As it is in 2 halves, I can always pull it apart to gain extra width if I really have to.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Thaks for all of the tips. If the blower has a problem I can cool tube it......

Okay so for me, keeping in mind experience with larger plants (none) should I attempt coco or do soil/soiless? Which is how I do my tropical plants.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
For your first attempt at this, I'd stick with what you know as much as possible. You have so many new things to deal with, I'd get them locked down first and play with media/substrates on the next run.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
I'm planning on hanging the bulb, not from a cable but rather a rigid but retractable arm so there's no wobble and I can move a lever and it's up out of the way. Kinda cool I have all that type of stuff laying around..... I inherited an old mans garage collection lol.

Seems less of a hassle to just throw 6 plants in a circle around a bulb. I mean compared to pruning bushes or scrog and I can't sog.

Time?
Saves a lot of time not having to top/ fim/supercrop just put plant in room. Pretty straightforward

Money
Cheaper, no hood needed

Effort
Non attached untrained plants are easier in my experience.

Space
Well I have 3000sq.ft. But figure I could spare a little

Nutes?

im looking at the fact that the light footprint on a 1k is about 10x10 if not actually 8x8.

now in your original post you said that you had spaces to choose from one of them being a 5x5 spot.

so my question is why would you want to grow 6 plants, in a space that can handle 3 times that amount.

why would you want to use a 1k watt bulb on just 6 plants when it could handle 5 times that many plants?

but heres my thing, when i grow i utilize every nook and cranny of space and every bit of light that i can inorder to maximize the space that is there.

now if this 6 plant 1k bulb grow is something you "want" to do, then ok i will digress, shut up, leave it alone, not say another word on the matter. but as far as optimizing space its not something you should do.

and as far as it being a hassle IMO is that i have no problem with that type of labor at all!! where im coming from is my 4x4x5.5' cab, for 16plants,3gl grow bags and my 400hps yielded me 1 and 3/4 lbs. on teh run im workingon now i plan to have more plants in smaller containers and get at least 2lbs+

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts