What's new

Can I "blow" out a Carbon filter? Newbie trying vert

Didn't finish reading this thread, but would like to chime in with my experience.

Yes, you can blow through a filter, I did so for ~18mo at my last house. I would taking your pre-filter and cutting it into circles a few inches larger than the diameter of the duct. You can place between your fan and your filter.

IMO, the CFM loss from pulling to pushing is negligible as most people purchase fans with more CFM than needed to do the job.

O

otis33

it will work either way, but I don't understand why the heat would be greater with the filter inside... if you exchange the air twice a minute you'll be golden.

O

otis33

you would still be sucking the heat through the carbon filter and out the duct with the filter above the light. this is how most of my vert set ups are and is how it's done by most who run vert

Good catch otis33. Fully agree. There should be no heat build up if correctly venting.

Smokinerb22 there is no need to cut up your per filter. You can buy intake filters or very easily make your own for a fraction of the cost. Also having the intake filter n a scrubber will drop the whoooosh sound for very minimal cfm loss.
SB2

I was going to suggest getting some polyfill sheets from Walmart or such, they're almost identical to the pre-filters... but I figure if you're going to blow through the filter, you already have a pre-filter that's not being used, and that's free.

But yea, should be no heat build-up if venting at 2x per minute as you should be.

Blowing through the filter is also beneficial for those who have limited height and need to put the filter outside of the tent/cab.

A

AshitMyself

I appreciate your posts Bush Dr i will be pulling through my carbon filter from now on Peace Ash

Eventualist. What program did u use for that drawing? It's pro as fuck

lol thanks. I am an artist (so they say) but mainly work on the computer building websites at home all day.

That was adobe illustrator for the line work then i imported it into photoshop for some heat spray :)

thanks for the compliment.

papaduc

Veteran
Many if not all of the problems Bush Dr raises are mitigated by either over sizing the filter or putting the pre-filter on the inside of the cylinder. Like Otis said, the heat is no different whether you push or pull through the filter.

There are a lot of advantages to having the filter outside of your tent/grow space and pushing through it; which, if it's what you need to do, more than outweigh any drawbacks.

You can even double filter for insurance.

If you're going to pre-filter the air before it gets pushed through the main carbon filter, try and make it an open tube/cylinder/box, maybe of mesh covered in your chosen fabric, rather than just covering the outtake hole with fabric, as it'll minimise the reduction in airflow and subsequent drag on the fan.

I've always done it this way air cooling my hoods via the fan on top of my filter.....filter is located outside of the room. Negative pressure is most important for odor controll

SirSteely

I was against this , but Ive been doing it for the last 8 months. I actually have a carbon filter on the exhaust hose of a portable AC, so it gets hot air pushed through it . Works like a charm. I was wrong.

N

noyd666

old thread now, but I run both ways, pre filter outside, and other phresh filter= pre on the inside. phresh filter u-tube will tell you the filters are designed to be run both ways. no SWEAT.