What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can grow lights have an effect on positive 'effect'?

Sunshineinabag

Harvest once all trichomes are cloudy.
Don't wait for amber.
Don't over dry, take your time curing in the dark.
Yes UVB will stimulate secondary metabolites, so will flushing with Epsom salt, so will increasing your potassium after the first half of flower, beneficial microbes and mycorizal fungus in the rizosphere also stimulates secondary metabolites. And fish emulsions during veg brings the dank.
Go forth and grow the dank with this knowledge.
:greenstars::smokeit::tree:

My elders used to used brown paper bags from grand union. Once they hung enough he would finish the first dry process in those bags

bigAl25

Veteran
Dear Hammerhead, Concerning the CMH lights you now use, did you use your previous ballasts, or have to purchase new ballasts for the CMH lamps? Is it as easy as buying CMH lights and plugging them into the systems I already have? One 400 watts MH and one 400 watts HPS, both run off of digital ballasts. Thanks for your expertise.

romanoweed

shure there are lamps pretty much like sunlight. These are highly expensive you can buy a prototype for a half million dollar. But hese produce light like sun, indistinguishable

Lesnah

So Plasma(LEP) are the closest to mimicking a tropical Light spectrum due to more balanced Blue light?

I've been using the Gavita 270 LEP for the whole grow cycle and buds did come out great. Mostly NLD "Landrace" hybrids.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dear Hammerhead, Concerning the CMH lights you now use, did you use your previous ballasts, or have to purchase new ballasts for the CMH lamps? Is it as easy as buying CMH lights and plugging them into the systems I already have? One 400 watts MH and one 400 watts HPS, both run off of digital ballasts. Thanks for your expertise.

They came with the ballast to run CMH properly. I did have a few I replaced with LFSWB. Its always good to have spares on hand. If you buy a fixture it will have the proper ballast. I use Growers Choice. There are many others like Luxx:tiphat:.
You can use the ballast you have but you lose bulb life doing that.

shure there are lamps pretty much like sunlight. These are highly expensive you can buy a prototype for a half million dollar. But hese produce light like sun, indistinguishable

lol, we are growing weed dude. Thats not even something to mention. Anyone that used a bulb like that to grow weed id call an idiot. I guess i should have been more specific.

Last edited:

Sunshineinabag

They came with the ballast to run CMH properly. I did have a few I replaced with LFSWB. Its always good to have spares on hand. If you buy a fixture it will have the proper ballast. I use Growers Choice. There are many others like Luxx:tiphat:.
You can use the ballast you have but you lose bulb life doing that.

lol, we are growing weed dude. Thats not even something to mention. Anyone that used a bulb like that to grow weed id call an idiot. I guess i should have been more specific.

Just tell em to build a heated green house and call winter light dep experiment lmaop

romanoweed

@lesnah, read my long Post well, i summ it up, to make it easy to understand:

The Sunlight is around 30 Percent stronger at Equator than at North.
The Lightcomposition is roundabout said seemingly not very different anywhere in world, alltho there is a slight higher Red-Amount at the north,
BUT its hard to mimick Sunlight at any Region on earth in the first Place, so, you are better of by just mimicking Sunlight in the first place.

Dont get to fixed on my rating wich one i would choose, look at the Graphs.
If the balance of all the colors in the Graphs is closer to the Sunlightgraph, then its better. Keep an eye on the exact Frequencynumbers , some lights leak in the UV Range 200/300 frequency , or the Red Range, but look overall naturally balanced... until you read the frequency numbers (colorsnumbers)

Some have many miniature Spikes, like the LEP, but overall LEP is shure very good.
Look up Graphs of some CMH Lamps, they just getting better and better.. Nearly same like LEP.

Or try to get a LED, and fill in the missing Red with another Light like someone showed on previous Page .

All of those 3 Lights seem promising yes.

Its your job to look the graps up yourselve, and decide wich you think is closer to Sunlightgraph

romanoweed

I googled some random Sunlightgraphs, and found infact some Graphs were shifted thowards Red, some thowards Blue.

The Blue one is labeled as tropical:
picture.php

----------------------------------

The Redshift one i dont know. Could also be caused by Clouds, Northern Measurement, dont know:
picture.php

Sorry for anwsering your question so complicated yesterday @lesnah just to make shure. But yes somewhat you seemingly understood.

Rembetis

I am running these Hortilux MH 600's in an open fixture so as not to block the UV.

I have 2 in a 4x4 tent. It is intense in there. 75 watts per sq. ft. It is an experiment to see if I could get better results with tropical strains. I was also keeping the tent cooler like it would be higher up in the Coffee growing regions. My hope was for stronger psychedelic effects, euphoric and more up and energetic with my Jamaicans. So far the uncured bud is very strong but it zonks me out. It causes me to stumble around like I am drunk and I want to doze off. I cant really say at this point if the lights have a positive or happy effect but I think it helps potency. That may change with a long cure.

Lesnah

@romano

That's how I understood, more blue mimics the tropical latitude....for example from 19° and under towards the equator.

So this whole time i was doing a proper job for Sativa dominant genetics I've been growing.

I used the Gavita LEP for it's whole life cycle and roughly 10-13 hours of light every day from beginning to end.

End product always came out choice.