What's new

Can cities tax medical marijuana??

jswick93

I have been trying pretty hard to dig into this subject. Can cities put a sales tax on medical marijuana in Oregon? Does anyone know?

House Bill 3400 says ordinances can only "reasonably regulate" medical marijuana dispensaries, and it does not give tax as one of the reasonable regulations. A few months back, I believed Gold Hill to be the only city in Oregon with a sales tax on it, they have stopped charging it since then though. Rogue River, OR now has a 5% sales tax on medical marijuana, as of approximately a month or two ago. I was told by a city council member that they are allowed to because they passed the ordinance before HB3400 took effect. However, Oregon Laws 2014, was amended at Chapter 79, Section 2, to say the exact same thing about ordinances as HB3400 stated. Does anyone have more knowledge of this? Or do they know of other cities at this point in time with a tax on medical marijuana sales?

MtnDabr

The city of LaPine decided(really they backed down) that they would deplete their resources fighting a 5% tax on medical weed. The local facility hired an attorney to point out that the city does not tax Rx products, and cardholders expect the same treatment for their cannabis meds. This might set some precedence.