What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can anyone help identify this problem?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have had issues recently with leaves browning and dying off. At first it was rare but now it seems like it's happening to all my plants off and on.

Most recently I took some clones from a White Widow Auto and the clones were nice and green and healthy. They are about 3 weeks old and the leaf malady is now showing on the clones and the mother, both.

I use Cal-Mag every time I fertilize. And, I use a tiny extra (about 9ml per gallon) since I read autos like a little extra Calcium.

Maybe I got a bad bottle of Cal-Mag or something. I use acid or base to adjust pH every time I water. Usually about 6.4 to 6.7. I let my water sit out to help dissipate the chlorine, etc.

Basically doing the same thing I have done for many years and I keep getting this malady on the leaves.

Any suggestions or comment are appreciated.

Thanks.

leaf-1.jpg
leaf-2.jpg
leaf-3.jpg
leaf-4.jpg
leaf-5.jpg
leaf-6.jpg
leaf-7.jpg
leaf-8.jpg

acespicoli

drainage holes in solo cups?
tested your npk ?
1699396398106.png

$15 usd amazon tester
1699396451401.png

71RvBwqzwoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

$20.99 / 200Pcs Non-Woven Plant Nursery Bags Large, 8 x 10 in Biodegradable Seedling Grow Bag, Seed Starting Bags for Grow, Flower, Tree, Vegetable

watering plain water?
roots not working due to early dampness could look like nute deficiency
without changing and testing just a guess 🤷‍♂️
might be able to tune it up a bit with watering nutes on the flowering one
the droopy leaf reminds me of super wet ones let it go bone dry for a couple days on them youngins and see what happens?
overall your plant looks pretty nice :huggg:

Last edited:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I have had issues recently with leaves browning and dying off. At first it was rare but now it seems like it's happening to all my plants off and on.

Most recently I took some clones from a White Widow Auto and the clones were nice and green and healthy. They are about 3 weeks old and the leaf malady is now showing on the clones and the mother, both.

I use Cal-Mag every time I fertilize. And, I use a tiny extra (about 9ml per gallon) since I read autos like a little extra Calcium.

Maybe I got a bad bottle of Cal-Mag or something. I use acid or base to adjust pH every time I water. Usually about 6.4 to 6.7. I let my water sit out to help dissipate the chlorine, etc.

Basically doing the same thing I have done for many years and I keep getting this malady on the leaves.

Any suggestions or comment are appreciated.

Thanks.

View attachment 18915476 View attachment 18915477 View attachment 18915478 View attachment 18915479 View attachment 18915480 View attachment 18915481 View attachment 18915482 View attachment 18915483
This:

- Overfeeding
- Too low a pH
- Overwatering

A low pH locks out mobile nutrients like N,P, K, and Mg.

If you're not using tapwater, you don't need calmag. That's only for reverse osmosis, filtered or very low EC water.

Also - what is the medium?

Organic: 7.0
Coco Coir: 6.0

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When you add Calmag to tap water you raise the hydroxyl content and that will cause spots on the plant. It's best to only use cal-mag to RO or Rainwater when watering. Thats what I see.

blondie

Is this a new strain for you? It may take some time to dial in. Take two clones up the EC in one, stop giving nutes to the other. Do the same with water, though I wouldn’t recommend totally stopping watering. Essentially change up what you are doing, to a point. Good luck.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks gang. I appreciate the input.

This has been a strange one for me. I currently have 5 grows in progress. All the grows are in Fox Farms Happy Frog. All get the same Fox Farms Trio nutes and the same water.

2 tents are indoors. One exhibits the issues and one does not. Same strains in both with a couple odd plants that are different strains. Mostly Mexican Airlines autos.

1 tent is in the garage. This is the worse case. I'll take a pic later (it's 5AM and the lights are still off). Really bad. Worse crop I think I have ever grown. And, it's Barney's Farm LSD. A strain I have grown out many many times. Very hardy but this crop is horrible. And, because the plants are so unhealthy, I got white flies and some other bug. Pics later.

I also have 2 outdoor grows. One on the front patio facing North and one on the back patio facing South. The South grow sux. Lots of leaf necrosis and bad yield.

The front patio is fucking awesome. No leaf necrosis. The buds are huge and they are COVERED with trichs. These plants show no issues at all.

And, again, all the grows get the same water, nutes and soil.

Damn. LOL

I have a nice BlueLabs pH meter and the new probe is about a year old. I calibrate it regularly and confirm it with 7.0 and 4.0 solution. Still, I think my issue is pH being too low. After a couple years with this SoCal water, I learned it's always the same amount of acid to take it from 7.8 (which is what it is out of the faucet and sitting in jugs for 24 hours to help dissipate the chlorine. A standard practice of mine for decades.) down to 6.5 which is where I usually pH to. I usually just take 20 drops in each jug and don't even check with the pH meter. Once in a while I will check just to make sure nothing changed. However, I noticed that if I check it after mixing and it is 6.5, an hour or 2 later it is closer to 6.3 or 6.2. So, it's possible that my water has been too low pH. I ALWAYS check pH when I water with nutes. Again, I try to keep it right in the middle at 6.5.

In any case, everything except 2 mothers and the clones is up for harvest within a week to 10 days. So, the problem is about to go up in smoke. LOL The clones are looking awesome. However, the White Widow mother is still showing leaf necrosis like I posted above. The other mother, an Alien Gorilla Fem/Photo is doing awesome. Green as the Green Giant and healthy as fuck.

I'll post a few more pics after the sun comes up (another sleepless night because of pain. Old age really sucks a lot. LOL)

Again, thanks much for the input. Seems there is always something new to learn in this hobby. :)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Here are some pics...

Spotted leaf. This was rampant in the garage tent, mostly.

spottedleaf.jpg

Garage tent, overall with some bud closeups...

garagetent.jpg

The buds in this tent look not bad...

garagetentbuds.jpg

The front patio plants are almost necrosis free. However, bugs abound.

Leaf miners..

leafminer.jpg

Ants farming something..

antsfarming.jpg

Is this a whitefly egg sticking out from the leaf?

whitefly egg.jpg

Even with all these bugs, the buds look great...

frontpatiobud.jpg

And, overall, the plants are nice and green with none of the necrosis all the other grows have.

frontpatio.jpg

Here is the Alien Gorilla that seems unaffected. However, I am noticing some twisted leaves. What is that about?

aliengorilla.jpg

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Couple bud shots. We are a few days to a week away from harvest.

Overall, the tent doesn't look bad. All those single bud plants are an experiment from the seeds I bred a couple months ago. Ready for harvest.

maintent-1.jpg

maintent-2.jpg

The buds look nice and frosty but with all these issues, my yield has suffered more than anything.

tent2buds.jpg

Ca++

I have no solid answer, but if someone read your post to me, I would be thinking bugs. along side the calmag use, but you say this has not changed. Are you sure? It's not another brand perhaps, or low N type.

At 9ml/G I might be expecting 80ppm of Ca. That is really quite high, if it's just being used alone. There could be 30ppm of Mg and 60ppm of N also. It's hard to say what you are using. I'm not sure if it's tap, or the taps condition. Yet I'm still drawn back to bugs, by the notion each crop is different. Though I'm not sure the best one, is actually without signs.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Bummer. I am still chasing this issue.

I think part of it was that I was getting sloppy measuring nutes. I may have slightly overdone it. Plus, sloppy with pH up and down may have contributed.

Also, I noticed when I pH down I measure a few minutes after mixing and it's right on 6.5pH. 2 hours later, I measure the same jug and it's closer to 6.2. So, I may have been taking my water down a little too much. How long does it take for stuff to ionize in the water? I always allowed a few minutes and seldom more.

Fortunately, most stuff is only days away from harvest. Still, the White Widow Auto just can't shake this necrosis. And, it's strange because the clones from this WW are in the exact same environment, same water, etc and they are doing great.

Also, the Alien Gorilla is doing awesome and shows no signs of the leaf issue. Same soil, food, water, etc.

In 50 years of growing I have never run into anything I couldn't diagnose.

Here are some updated pics.

Attachments

• whitewidowmother-1.jpg
    whitewidowmother-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • whitewidowmother-2.jpg
    whitewidowmother-2.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 23
  • clones-1.jpg
    clones-1.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 23
  • aliengorilla.jpg