What's new

Can a HPS ballast run a MH bulb?

_Sparky_

Bit of understanding

Bit of understanding

Hello all. I'm an Electrician and I thought I would mention on this topic. You have 1000w transformer. and you want to consume for say 600w of power. So running this way says you are under working the coil. This will cause small losses. Yes. MH ballast does not have enough spark (ignitor) to start a HPS globe and the capacitor is a little small for p.f reasons (banks of fluros use capacitors to stop this issue, like the capacitor does in your fitting, saves all your lights dimming in house). If you arc the secondary side of the coil. You can cause an influx of voltage, starting a HPS globe/lamp with no ignitor. Don't electrocute yourself doing this. I recently went and purchased a 3kV igniter to start a HPS globe in my MH ballast, which cost way to much $30+. Then I priced a capacitor to help with the p.f, $50+. So now my old reliable ballast is now capable of running either globe. Because the ignitor (mega) does not seem to damage my globes. Electronic ballast automatically switch I think. If it is capable of running both types of globes. Hope that helps.
Ignitor = HPS globe starter
Capacitor = Power Factor Correction

Latest posts

Latest posts