What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Campaign To Legalize Marijuana Use In Michigan Kicks Off

danut

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/01/20/campaign-to-legalize-marijuana-in-michigan-kicks-off/

Campaign To Legalize Marijuana Use In Michigan Kicks Off

DETROIT (WWJ) - A brand new campaign to legalize marijuana in Michigan kicks off Friday.
A grass-roots committee working toward ending marijuana prohibition in Michigan is campaigning to amend state law and legalize marijuana use for adults 21 and older. The amendment would not apply to or change workplace or driving issues regarding marijuana.
Supporters say they’ll be passing around petitions for the proposed constitutional amendment in Michigan. Attorney Matthew Abel predicts they’ll be able to get the 300,000 signatures needed to get the measure on the November ballot.
“We’re doing this as a volunteer effort. We’re not paying petitioners. However, we have an army of committed people who are upset about this. There are over 130,000 medical marijuana patients, and most of them are not happy with the government and the way that this has been dealt with,” said Abel.
Abel points to recent polls that show more Americans support legalizing marijuana than those who oppose it. He said the support for legalization among Americans is between 46 and 50 percent, up from 36 percent five years ago and 25 percent in the late nineties.
WWJ Lansing Bureau Chief Tim Skubick said the group might have more voter support these days, but he doubts they’ll win at the ballot box.
“They can probably get the signatures but they probably can’t get the votes. The polling data in Michigan, according to Tim Beck who ran that petition drive on medical marijuana, right now legalization of marijuana starts at about 50 percent, which just simply isn’t high enough based on tradition. When you start a petition drive, you want to have around 58 or 59 percent support because once the opposition gets in gear, those numbers go down,” said Skubick.
Abel, who is the campaign director, said Michigan is the perfect setting for legalizing the drug, as the state led the way in ending alcohol prohibition.

“We believe that prohibition is a failed policy. Alcohol prohibition did not work and marijuana prohibition is not working. Michigan was the first state to repeal the alcohol prohibition and we feel it’s incumbent upon us to continue to be a leader,” said Abel.
Find information on how to sign a petition at repealtoday.org.

So, how do Metro Detroiters feel about legalizing marijuana? WWJ’s Sandra McNeill has been asking the question.
Stan Zombek of Rochester said it’s all about freedom as Americans.

“Adults should be able to smoke marijuana if they want to. As long as they’re adults and, you know, the same kind of controls like alcohol with no minors and no driving and being high, that kind of stuff, then why not? Now, if they’re selling heroin or something that’s different. But a little bit of marijuana, who cares?” Zombek said.

“John” from Oak Park thinks it would be a good idea to legalize the drug.

“Absolutely. The people, I think, are less violent, less likely to get into trouble, you know, they’re not mean-spirited. Have you ever seen anybody that’s high be violent? No, everybody is just laid back and hungry,” he said.

More at the link.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Hell ya danut i was talking to my accountant yesterday and it turns out he is the treasurer for the group that sponsored the bill. I bet it passes.

danut

The only real way to protect the patients and caregivers of Michigan is to fully legalize it.

Our government has proven itself untrustworthy to conduct a medical marijuana program.

At this time, they are six months behind of their deadlines, written in law, to provide ID cards. They have NEVER been caught up.

The state collected ten million dollars in taxes from the sick and dying of our state. I call it tax because eight million dollars of that money was skimmed off by the state itself. Leaving the program underfunded and unable to comply with the direct orders of the voters of Michigan.

Stealing from the sick and dying of Michigan.

Our government can not be trusted in this matter. Our state can not understand the line between a patient and a recreational user.

The ONLY way to protect these people from a vengeful government is to completely legalize it.

danut

Hell ya danut i was talking to my accountant yesterday and it turns out he is the treasurer for the group that sponsored the bill. I bet it passes.

I was there today.

I was there at the Supreme Court last week.

Need petitions near Ann Arbor? Got them right here.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
The only real way to protect the patients and caregivers of Michigan is to fully legalize it.

Our government has proven itself untrustworthy to conduct a medical marijuana program.

At this time, they are six months behind of their deadlines, written in law, to provide ID cards. They have NEVER been caught up.

The state collected ten million dollars in taxes from the sick and dying of our state. I call it tax because eight million dollars of that money was skimmed off by the state itself. Leaving the program underfunded and unable to comply with the direct orders of the voters of Michigan.

Stealing from the sick and dying of Michigan.

Our government can not be trusted in this matter. Our state can not understand the line between a patient and a recreational user.

The ONLY way to protect these people from a vengeful government is to completely legalize it.

completely agree man your preaching to the quire over here -=P

watts

ohms
Veteran
That Bill Schuets guy or whatever can't veto it or anything if it goes on the ballot or whatever?

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
itll be another voter initiative bill which mean that it would be impossible, hopefully its written so that theres NO FUCKING WAY they can try and nit pick it like they did the medical law.

danut

That Bill Schuets guy or whatever can't veto it or anything if it goes on the ballot or whatever?

No. They can't veto or change it.

The 2008 law was for an initiative. When passed into law, that may be changed if lawmakers can gather a 75% majority.

An amendment will require another vote of the public to change it.

Both require the same number of votes. It may have been an error to not use amendment the first time.

So we'll prevent that this time.

danut

Dear Friends, help us raise $5,000 by next week. Please visit
www.repealtoday.org and click the donate button or send a check
payable to "Committee for a Safer Michigan." Thank you for your
generosity and support.

Latest posts

Latest posts