What's new

CalMag+ vs CaliMagic in coco

Cereals

Hey everyone - I'm trying to get my plants dialed in and came up with another question for yall

Of course, the answer should be dependent on your base nutes I would think, but that being said, and generally speaking - which is preferable?

I see that CaliMagic has almost twice as much Calcium per volume as the CalMag+. Both products have similar levels of Mg. CalMag+ has 2% Nitrogen, while CaliMagic has 1%.

Both products also contain .1% Iron (Fe), though CalMag+ uses EDTA and CaliMagic uses DPTA which I've read is superior though I can't remember why.

Here are the GAs for both:

CalMag Plus:

Total Nitrogen (N): 2.0%, 2.0% Nitrate Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca): 3.2%
Magnesium (Mg): 1.2%, 1.2% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
Iron (Fe): 0.1%, 0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe) EDTA

CaliMagic:

Total Nitrogen (N): 1.0%, 1.0% Nitrate Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca): 5.0%
Magnesium (Mg): 1.5%, 1.5% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
Iron (Fe): 0.1%, 0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe) DPTA

I am posting this because I remember hearing that Ca and Mg should be run in the correct ratios or they will lock each other out.

So is the ratio/window fairly wide - or which of these products is closer to "right"?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats your idea or thought of correct ratio? I've run 2:1 mag/Ca and never ran into a problem the whole grow. I've also run the common, more Cal then Mg..

calimagic wins hand's down. never heard of people running into N problems, to add more N into there grow, that should even be said for iron.

I read ideal cal:mag for cannabis is 3:1 and with RO water add cal mag to 100-150ppm

Cal to mag ratio

Cal mag 2.66:1
Cali magic 3.33:1

My math could be fuzzy, its early ha

I use Cali magic at 4ml/gal

Skyhigh

Snow Crash

Veteran
Never used Cali Magic, but I have used Botanicare Cal-Mag+, General Organics CaMg+, Cutting Edge Solutions Plant Amp and Mag Amped, and I am currently using West Coast Nutrients Calcium and Magnesium.

It's all pretty much the same shit. They all work well. Odds are your nutrient program already has enough Calcium in it (Canna A+B is 5% Nitogen and 4.5% Calcium, only 1.2% Magnesium) so I tend to try to boost my Mag levels more than my Cal levels when conditioning RO water.

Personally, I prefer being able to dose each individually but if given the choice I would go with Cal-Mag+ because it has worked well for myself and many others in the past and has a closer ratio of Ca:Mg. I have found that 1ml of Cal-Mag+ increases the EC of RO water by 0.1, so I use 2.5ml/gallon to achieve a 0.25ec and add my base system on top of that.

In flowering I scale back to 1-2ml/gallon and usually begin using 1/8th teaspoon per gallon of Epsom Salt (or another equivalent of 15-20ppm additional Magnesium and Sulfur).

P

Puscifer

I always look at the Calcium source. I would much rather have Cal Nitrate or Chloride than Carbonate. Calimagic uses Carbonate, CalmagPlus is Nitrate.
Incidentally, I used both those brands but now use MagiCal (technaflora). Because it has Calcium Nitrate and Calcium Chloride.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read ideal cal:mag for cannabis is 3:1 and with RO water add cal mag to 100-150ppm

Cal to mag ratio

Cal mag 2.66:1
Cali magic 3.33:1

My math could be fuzzy, its early ha

I use Cali magic at 4ml/gal

Skyhigh

never read much into anything having to do with stoners..

the only people who are even close to understanding, is the "lab" at Bulgaria, owned by AN. people can shit on An all they want, fact is there running experiments, there the ones who figured out, 90% of strains would use more N in flower then veg, when every single nute company has them switched...

to understand something, you would have to run years of experiments, then when your done with that, change one variable, and see what difference it makes, running years of experiments, then when your done with that, change one variable.........

Latest posts

Latest posts