What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California bill would allow landlords to ban marijuana for renters

Principante 8,
Would you be willing to make a $5000 deposit for a place to live n grow?

$500 won't pay for shit once damages have been done.

DOH!
Ya got me on that one. Hehehe.
For smoking...
Same principles apply...
Especially in complexes where heating & ventilation are all interconnected from unit to unit.
The land/property owner retains all the Rights to keep their properties as they please.
For a gorilla tent with two kw i don't think any sort of deposit should be required unless maybe someone was using a hydroponic system. Then the 500 would equates to a watered deposit. A few plants in coco or soil really isn't a risk to anyones property if inside of a tent. Same with a plant or two getting light through a window. Electric heaters are 1500 watts and billions have been sold over the years, and yes they cause their fair share of fires, but no deposit required. Electricity isn't really risky until you go big. My grandma and mom have lots of regular old houseplants at their places and they've never caused damage. Growing 2kw in an open bedroom can surely wreck a place with the high humidity if it isn't taken care of though for sure. So in any case there are lots of variables, but the worst possible result will only happen sometimes.

For my setup I'd pay the $5000 for sure. I know I'd be getting it back so why not. I could die in a freak accident or develop a meth addiction and get thrown in jail, so it's only fair the owner of the property have some protection in case they have to tear it down. I grow in coco, but my 25 light setup with hydroponics, and a landlord would have to be insane to give the OK because it could cause tens of thousands in damage. Also the price of rent will be a factor. My place is 1700 a month but would cost 4000-5000 back in Orange County where I grew up. Two weeks of repairs could cost 2500 just in rent alone. Of course if it was accepted enough to start talking large deposits with landlords id just go rent a warehouse, as growing in a residence sucks balls in comparison.

soil margin

Veteran
Google "grow house damage"

When you rent, you are actually occupying the owners house. When you leave, they have to deal with the mess you left.

Yes, people are assholes and people will fuck your property up. I understand that. That's why we have civil courts and legal means for landlords to be compensated for damage to their property. The government should not be overseeing what kind of plant matter you are smoking in a home you paid to rent and are legally entitled to inhabit though.

If some stoner drops his joint and burns a hole in your carpet, then go ahead and take his security deposit or take him to small claims court. I've got no problem with that. A system already exists to give landlords a means to recoup losses.

I'm personally of the opinion that any restrictions on personal privacy and freedom inside your home made by the government on behalf of the interests of private business people is a form of corporate fascism, and if you're supporting that, it's because you have a strong financial incentive to do so.

R

Robrites

Yes, people are assholes and people will fuck your property up. I understand that. That's why we have civil courts and legal means for landlords to be compensated for damage to their property. The government should not be overseeing what kind of plant matter you are smoking in a home you paid to rent and are legally entitled to inhabit though.

If some stoner drops his joint and burns a hole in your carpet, then go ahead and take his security deposit or take him to small claims court. I've got no problem with that. A system already exists to give landlords a means to recoup losses.

I'm personally of the opinion that any restrictions on personal privacy and freedom inside your home made by the government on behalf of the interests of private business people is a form of corporate fascism, and if you're supporting that, it's because you have a strong financial incentive to do so.

Round here, (Oregon) Renters have more rights than the Owners. That is, the owners have to ask/inform us if they are visiting soon. If we pay rent, our rights supersede the owners on some levels. We pay for it-It's Ours.