What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calculating The Size of a Air Conditioner

Rabbi

if one has their a/c unit on the enitre time their lights are on wouldn't that suck or push out all the co2?

Rabbi

also how strong of a unit can one get when hooked up with 240volt? Plan on getting an a/c unit this spring but would suck if i needed an electrical upgrade of some sort.

Rabbi

K nevermind, just bought my self a used 3ton today for $75(sweet deal). Its a Trane high efficiency and in excellent shape. For once I'm looking forward to summer to see how it works out.

growpl

sorry my english is bad. has anyone experience with split-type air-conditioning, it is suitable for our needs can go there to mount the carbon filter? To compact globe had assumed that the carbon filter is not stunk outside. in these splits are any carbon filters but I do not think so efficient as to our needs . Thanks

Rabbi

Thx Rolldaddy. I actually made some adjustments since those posts. I actually was talked outta the used one and purchased a brand new system almost identical looking to the one Yes4Pro215 posted but a 3 ton. I even brought in an electrician and upgraded my electrical. It's all hooked up now but ducting not done til this mon so haven't got to see er in acion yet.

Pretty sure mine does bring in air from where the fan/coil is installed(right outside my room) but whatever. I decided Im getting a NG generator(already have a monitor/controller) and just gonna let er buck even if ac does push out some co2 from the room.

3TL

Hello everyone.

i have a wooden house built outside, corrugated iron roof. Its is 8m x 3m x 2.4m.
Inside will be 16 x 400w (6.4kw) HPS.

I have calculated that i need about 36 000 btu's to keep it pleasant. In summer highest temps are about 104 fahrenheit. Can run the lights at night for more cooling power.

Question i have are:

1.When running an aircon can you somehow attach a carbon filter? If not what about smell?
2.Are you supposed to have just the aircon or must you have and intake and exhaust fan as well? What cfm should they be? i assume if the fans are too powerful they will end up throwing cool air out then the air con must work harder?
3.If you use an aircon with too many btu's will it cycle on and off causing humidity problems?
4.I plan on putting some kind of insulation on the walls and roof, what is best?

Thanks for any of your help. I really appreciate it.

So bottom line how much AC do you need in the Northeast in the summer in a basement for a 7 by 7 with 2 lights?
Edit: I since started my own thread on the subject so please check it out. peace

C

chase

?? Quote:
Originally Posted by chase
Hello everyone ,im going to try a new set up .
please tell me if this will work.

1000 Watt H.P.S 10000 btu portable ac , & I intend to air cool the light with an 8 inch vortex pulling from the room , & blowing into the same room , through a carbon filter , recycling the hot air.

Will the ten thousand btu ac keep everything cool ? Any info would be apreaciated.
\
Also I cant duct out , only a small laundry duct for my ac.

This will be a 4x4 room , & the lights will be 12/12. Also the electronic balist will be in the same room but outside of the polysheild that I will be flowering in , I will have an oscelating fan also.

C

chase

^^^^ this seamed like it might be a better place to post this , If my ? is unclear , then please be patien , & I will try to help you with my wording.

C

chase

Also im in Del norte by the ocean right by the oregon border it never gets hot just wet.

Rolldaddy

Chase,

If you are recirculating the hot air from your light and not dumping out the hot air then your not utilizing your air cooled light.

If you have a carbon scrubber and an air cooled light you might want run them separately. One duct bringing air into and dumped out of your hood directly so that it doesn't mix with the air in your room. Then you exhaust or recirculate the air from the scrubber.

I hope that helps and you get what I'm saying. If not you can ask to clarify here or by PM. Either is fine

C

chase

Thank you for the reply

Thank you for the reply

Ok so then with no way for me to duct out the hot air , should I scrap the air cooled light idea , & just cool with the 10000 btu portable .There is a laundry duct that I can safely duct my ac out of , but too many close neibors to duct hot air out of the window safely.

Rolldaddy

Your welcome. If you find my post helpful I'd appreciate it if you click the yes link on the bottom of my post.

As for the air cooled light you can you can dump out the hot air through the dryer vent with the ac exhaust. You can also just dump that hot air into your attic also. If you hook the fan to the air cooled light properly the exaust should not smell. Or you do what you said and scrap the idea of air cooling your hood. If a light isn't cooled it creates about 5000 btu of heat. If it is cooled 3000 btu is a good number to use to calculate how much of a load it will pit on your ac. So if your portable ac really cools 10000 btu's your light will use half and depending the size of your room and how hot it is the other 5000 btu might be enough for the room

The exhaust I would be more concerned with if I was you would be the ac exhaust because that exhaust is likely to carry out air from inside your room. IE the ac exhaust will smell like your room

I believe you said you have an air scrubber. If so you will want to design a recirculating
system to keep the smell down in the room as much as possible

Good luck

I go with 5000 BTU's per 1W of light.

i go with these numbers also and it does verry well over the last 10 years ..

thanks for the other mind numbing numbers .. and yes i do understand them .. also digital term controls are also more accurate than analog controls on the the a/c unit .. also if u use a room a/c set it on a table that sets about middle hight of the room i way increases the efficiency of the cooling because heat rises ..

peez ..

ss ..

M

Mr frost

Also im in Del norte by the ocean right by the oregon border it never gets hot just wet.
i had a of a clone of del norte chem dog it was a cut that is fuckn dank have you seen this around del norte i hade it a while back i got it in northern humboldt county i wish i would have hung onto that cut