What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
interesting, all it takes is a ban threat and we have peace again. no wonder many mods lose their patience and go straight to the banning.

what ever the reason, it's good to see things back on track.

ps : did a bit of cleaning up, so if your missing a post it's in the bin.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup, the snapping and crackling are a good way to tell if there's still tane in it, another good way is pass a quick flame across a small bit and watch to see if and how it ignites.
Keep up the good work Hh, all your stuff looks good. Do you use trim or nugs?

Another way to speed up and improve the purge is to use a vacuum. Here is a picture of a vaccum dessicator that we use for that purpose. It has a surface plate in it that we can use to keep things liquid as required.

You can also use a pressure cooker or a paint pot for the chamber, but I like the glass so I can watch what is going on.

The pots they use to degas epoxy castings also work well and have a heavy clear Lucite top.

With good water pressure and flow, you can use a cheap (<$20)faucet vacuum aspirator, and I have included a picture of one with no plumbing attached.

Attachments

• Water faucet vacuum aspirator.jpg
    Water faucet vacuum aspirator.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Vacuum purge setup.jpg
    Vacuum purge setup.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Thin film vacuum purged BHO absolute (3).jpg
    Thin film vacuum purged BHO absolute (3).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Vacuum gear.jpg
    Vacuum gear.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Paint pot mocified for vacuum and heat.jpg
    Paint pot mocified for vacuum and heat.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 22

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting, all it takes is a ban threat and we have peace again. no wonder many mods lose their patience and go straight to the banning.

what ever the reason, it's good to see things back on track.

ps : did a bit of cleaning up, so if your missing a post it's in the bin.

Thanks!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Yup, the snapping and crackling are a good way to tell if there's still tane in it, another good way is pass a quick flame across a small bit and watch to see if and how it ignites.
Keep up the good work Hh, all your stuff looks good. Do you use trim or nugs?

this has to be the tenth time, but its not butane that snaps and crackles, and pops, its rice krispies!

no seriously, butane doesnt do that, its any moisture in your oil. if its dry it wont crackle, even if its unpurged.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this has to be the tenth time, but its not butane that snaps and crackles, and pops, its rice krispies!

no seriously, butane doesnt do that, its any moisture in your oil. if its dry it wont crackle, even if its unpurged.

True that.

hammalamma

Veteran

Sorry guess I should have said it isn't finished if it still crackles. I am pretty sure that I have never seen completely dry bho that was under purged.
Vac purging is cool if you know when to stop. Really fun to watch, just make sure your jar or dish is only 1/3 full.

Mia

What up hamma hanging out with the heavy hitters eh?
Just took a skillet rip of the pure og about to get some work done you should come by check out the upgrades when you get back over the hill brohole.
Already killed my first omicron cartridge took me all of 30 hours....lol
LOl @ the haters...... I've never had a bad rip off anything you made for me, quite the contrary...:)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I am pretty sure that I have never seen completely dry bho that was under purged.

really, all the oil you make shouldnt have any moisture in it, unless its being contaminated at some point in the process. butane doesnt extract water. its very rare any oil i make crackles, if it does, its because a drop of water got in the dish with the oil, and i didnt notice and completely remove it.

wow Mia, almost nine posts a year, you should take it easy :D

Mia

wow Mia, almost nine posts a year, you should take it easy :D

I was planning on posting more, and then I got high. :)

I usually lurk, I'm not into all the fuss and bickering, just want to learn. Just starting to learn about concentrates, my focus has been on the other side of things.

Skillets are awesome, cool invention.

I want to hang out with you and gray wolf and smoke all your oil. :)

Tokingham

I had some under purged BHO from a dispensary that crackled/sizzled. It was ear wax consistency. It was pretty different that the snap crackle pop of the bho that has water left but is a crackle and sizzle. under purged always hurts the throat.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
speaking of snap crackle pop..recent story. never try to put out a bho fire with water people....flaming bho everywhere(was wayyyy to stoned and not thinking). house almost went up. seriously surprised by how little it takes to ignite. had some bho purging on the counter..a good way away from the stove. somehow the pilot lit the tane, stupid idiot me had a few full rolls of paper towels right by the pyrex...yup. it's the easy people. even if it seems like it's almost purged. the smallest bit of tane can cause a big problem..

i will never bring liquid bho in the house again...

J

juicepuddle

Nope, no water used so there was no water in the bho. It was definitely under purged.

:laughing:underpurged or not water can get in, it happens. This has been discussed thoroughly before and the sizzle was always due to MOISTURE not tane left in the product.

Tokingham

.. can you make a definite statement about something you didnt make? wondering how you came to your conclusion...

Because I spoke with the guy who made it, thats why.

There was no water involved so there was no water left in the oil. Its that simple kids. There was butane left and is crackled, funny you have a hard time accepting that.

underpurged or not water can get in, it happens. This has been discussed thoroughly before and the sizzle was always due to MOISTURE not tane left in the product.

Why do you think its water when I assure you NO water got into the batch? Butane sizzles :bashhead:.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just a fyi. I bought a case of Vector from amazon. I found a few cans that had moisture in the butane cant tell ya how it got it there but it was obviously water.

IMO

There was no water involved so there was no water left in the oil. Its that simple kids. There was butane left and is crackled, funny you have a hard time accepting that.

Why do you think its water when I assure you NO water got into the batch? Butane sizzles :bashhead:.

to be quite honest, i have a hard time accepting just about anything written on the internet.

as far as speaking with the person who made it, how was i to infer that from your post? you simply stated you picked it up from the dispensary, not that you had knowledge of how it was made. plenty of dispensary's have little to do with the production of any of the medicine they offer.

the real question is: did the "guy who made it" also mention that it was under purged or did he leave that out of his information? wondering why if you had such extensive prior knowledge of how it was produced you would even bother with such inferior product...

frankly i dont care if its pubic hair making your oil sizzle, but id appreciate at least a small amount of reasoning behind it. otherwise you offer nothing constructive.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Water easily gets in the butane from atmospheric humidity. When the butane evaporates, it forms ice on the edge of the pool.

Because we have so much humidity, I stopped using a pie plate to evaporate from for that reason.