What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BUTANE EXTRACTION AND RECOVERY SYSTEM

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What impact will the use of dry ice in a cold bath?

I haven't tried it, because would be a costly way to drop temperature at local dry ice prices, but ostensibly it would reduce recovery time for either a passive or a pumped system.

QTS also showed an impressive improvement using brine to lower the ice bath temperature for the Tamisium.

foaf

Veteran
I say that because the oil forms pools over 1/4" deep, which in my opinion is not conducive to a complete vacuum purge at the sub-120F temps

it takes a while for sure. I've been doing runs this month and now keep my evaporation paint pot in a hot water bath at 120f and let it sit overnight, often with more than 1/4 inch of oil from several runs ganged together. I put the vacuum pump on it but put a recycling timer on it, its overkill to run the pump full time overnight (12 hours or so), and have it on for a couple of minutes, then off for like 5 minutes. It does a very good purge overnight without intervention and less wear on the vacuum pump.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
if I was starting from scratch I would look long and hard at the Arduino, because of cost and recommend that others do so as well.

Just started my foray in Electronics. And I can say the Arduino Uno should with it's multiple dig outputs, ones from china are even cheaper $16, or you can get Genuine Italian for $25 if you look around. Worst case scenario and you need many more outputs, the Arduino Due is stacked at about $55.

I'll post when I get more figured out. But I just learned last night that I can cascade my relays, Gott sei Dank! For running the high power stuff like lighting.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been doing runs this month and now keep my evaporation paint pot in a hot water bath at 120f and let it sit overnight, often with more than 1/4 inch of oil from several runs ganged together.

I put the vacuum pump on it but put a recycling timer on it, its overkill to run the pump full time overnight (12 hours or so), and have it on for a couple of minutes, then off for like 5 minutes.

It does a very good purge overnight without intervention and less wear on the vacuum pump.

Exellent point brother Foaf!

How is your pump isolated while shut off, so as to not backflow?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just started my foray in Electronics. And I can say the Arduino Uno should with it's multiple dig outputs, ones from china are even cheaper $16, or you can get Genuine Italian for $25 if you look around. Worst case scenario and you need many more outputs, the Arduino Due is stacked at about $55.

I'll post when I get more figured out. But I just learned last night that I can cascade my relays, Gott sei Dank! For running the high power stuff like lighting.

Hee, hee, hee, looking forward to seeing what you come up with bro!

We had to use an interface relay board between our PLC and the load, but PSI built it for us, as well as for Sean's automated Mk II Terpenator.

Easy to build and even the 25A solid state Crydom relays are under $25 a pop.

megamax42

Just read through this thread, which was a library of amazing information and has helped me design my own passive closed loop system. Many thanks to all who have contributed, especially you GW, amazing work.

I just finished building vacuum/heat purge system automated by Arduino. I used a standard automotive MAP sensor to measure the vacuum, a temp sensor for the water bath, resistive heater on a relay, vacuum pump on a relay, and a solenoid on a relay separating the pump from the collection vessel.

This thread + bhogarts tutorial videos on youtube inspired my design for a closed loop system, which I am currently waiting for parts to arrive in order to build. One component I bought for it that I thought you guys might be interested in as a safety feature is this butane sensor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MQ-2-MQ2-Ga...ne-Butane-Detection-for-Arduino-/201106365342

I have no idea how accurate it is, and the process will still take place outside, but still a cool feature.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kool, thanks for the good thoughts and sharing the sensor!

HinesShvines83

Looks similar to the system I use. Recycling take is always a nice setup! I have dual sight glass tubes inserted on the in port and out ports of the chamber. I have to get better screens though.

Just read through this thread, which was a library of amazing information and has helped me design my own passive closed loop system. Many thanks to all who have contributed, especially you GW, amazing work.

I just finished building vacuum/heat purge system automated by Arduino. I used a standard automotive MAP sensor to measure the vacuum, a temp sensor for the water bath, resistive heater on a relay, vacuum pump on a relay, and a solenoid on a relay separating the pump from the collection vessel.

This thread + bhogarts tutorial videos on youtube inspired my design for a closed loop system, which I am currently waiting for parts to arrive in order to build. One component I bought for it that I thought you guys might be interested in as a safety feature is this butane sensor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MQ-2-MQ2-Ga...ne-Butane-Detection-for-Arduino-/201106365342

I have no idea how accurate it is, and the process will still take place outside, but still a cool feature.

I am a big fan of Arduinos for DIY controls with programmable logic!

That sensor is designed to detect combustible gases but is not rated for combustible areas. The controls and alarm can be located outside of the hazard zone if not rated but the sensor can not.

megamax42

Thanks for the rep to whoever gave it to me! Reminds me of the old days of Grasscity.

Looks similar to the system I use. Recycling take is always a nice setup! I have dual sight glass tubes inserted on the in port and out ports of the chamber. I have to get better screens though.

Are these the sight glass tubes that use the tri-clamp sanitary fittings? Would love to fit some of those to my setup one day, if I could afford it.

I am a big fan of Arduinos for DIY controls with programmable logic!

That sensor is designed to detect combustible gases but is not rated for combustible areas. The controls and alarm can be located outside of the hazard zone if not rated but the sensor can not.

Oh cool! I'm really glad to hear someone else on here using Arduinos for this. Would love to bounce some stuff off ya sometime if that's alright, in exchange for sharing my advances.

Really good to know about the combustible area restriction on the sensor, thanks for letting me know. I was worried about that kind of hazard, because my original thought process was to have a red light and some sort of ventilation system turn on if gases were detected. But it would be kind of ironic if when the warning and safety components turned on, they were the igniters to the explosion.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bump for nostalgia! Look where things have gone since FOAF's original posts!

prune

Veteran
Bump for nostalgia! Look where things have gone since FOAF's original posts!

You know, FOAF maybe got it all started, but you were the one who figured out how to turbo-charge the idea.

Congratulations, respect and thank-you. :tiphat:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know, FOAF maybe got it all started, but you were the one who figured out how to turbo-charge the idea.

Congratulations, respect and thank-you. :tiphat:

Thanks for the good thoughts brother Prune!:biggrin:

A posse ad esse synergism! From the possibility revealed by FOAF's brain fart, to realization at the next level of technology.

Everything is fixed in time, so the exciting part part is where we are at today after the synergism of multiple brothers and sisters has had it's way with the design.

I was looking for a solution when I ran across FOAF's post in this magazine. Refrigeration was outside my area of specialization, so I hadn't considered such a solution.

Not only has the original design evolved through emulation since, it has inspired branches in multiple directions! Look at the diversity now, where before you had to build your own!!!

The impact was new businesses started and some old businesses like the stainless steel sanitary fitting market, significantly boosted. That means more people employed.

It of course also brings out the sharks, which includes both inferior and poorly designed equipment, as well as multiple folks claiming patent rights and that all that money made, should have been theirs.

Not only does success have many authors, with failure a bastard child, but simple greed enters the peeeecture!

How fortunate that our First Amendment rights to free speech on this forum are beyond their reach, so we can freely exchange ideas and experiences, thus keeping technological evolution in motion, instead of perfecting a single design and us'ns all becoming complacent and brain dead.

~star~crash~

Thanks for the good thoughts brother Prune!:biggrin:

A posse ad esse synergism! From the possibility revealed by FOAF's brain fart, to realization at the next level of technology.

Everything is fixed in time, so the exciting part part is where we are at today after the synergism of multiple brothers and sisters has had it's way with the design.

I was looking for a solution when I ran across FOAF's post in this magazine. Refrigeration was outside my area of specialization, so I hadn't considered such a solution.

Not only has the original design evolved through emulation since, it has inspired branches in multiple directions! Look at the diversity now, where before you had to build your own!!!

The impact was new businesses started and some old businesses like the stainless steel sanitary fitting market, significantly boosted. That means more people employed.

It of course also brings out the sharks, which includes both inferior and poorly designed equipment, as well as multiple folks claiming patent rights and that all that money made, should have been theirs.

Not only does success have many authors, with failure a bastard child, but simple greed enters the peeeecture!

How fortunate that our First Amendment rights to free speech on this forum are beyond their reach, so we can freely exchange ideas and experiences, thus keeping technological evolution in motion, instead of perfecting a single design and us'ns all becoming complacent and brain dead.

good post GW! you don't remember,but about 5 years ago U helped me get started in extraction & purging techniques & taught me tons of info...thank you ...it improved the quality of my life:tiphat:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the good thoughts brother! I'm thinking that improved quality of life is where its at, given we pass this way but once...........

~star~crash~

this dab's for you!

this dab's for you!

Headband "live resin"
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts