What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bushweed's Wollumbin Highland Grow 2010/11

bushweed

Veteran
Let me set the scene first. I live in the hills behind Mullumbimby, in a place which is in fact the rim of an extinct volcano named Wollumbin by the local Bundjalung tribe. Sitting at about 30 degrees South, Wollumbin is the largest extinct volcano in the southern hemisphere (60 -70 kms diameter) and is regarded as the most sacred Aboriginal site on the east coast of Australia. This beautiful place with its rich volcanic soil and verdant forests is part of what was once the largest subtropical rain forest on the planet, that is, until the silly bastards cut most of it down a hundred years ago.

picture.php

View from upper Main Arm

For more than a decade I've had a hiatus from smoking and this will be my first grow in 12 or 15 years. I grew commercially a few times when I was young, and have produced some one cone gear and plots of 9 and 10 foot sativas. But I now have a pretty well developed career in an industry that I enjoy, so this will be a low key grow for me - purely to satisfy my desire for an occasional smoke of nice ganja, and so that I don't have to keep bugging my mate Kangativa for all of his best:)

I fell in love with ganja again after a recent trip to Amsterdam, where the missus and I smoked some great wiet - hazes, diesels and, landraces, and in particular after being directed by the owner of De Twede Kamer to try some of Shantibaba's Mango Haze. He told me, everyone loves the SSH because of its smell, but if you want the best effect try the Mango. So the Mango it was, and the Mango it's been - not far from my thoughts ever since.

Once back to Australia we took the 40 minute drive through the rainforest to Nimbin, where we scored some stringy, poorly dried, lime green sativa, that also happened to be on par with anything we found in Holland. I don't know what strain it is, but I suspect it's a local sativa variety (MM or OMS) crossed to a shorter flowering plant, which would explain why it was available in April. Luckily each head had one seed, and I refer to this strain as Nimbin Haze.

Then we got in contact with Kangativa who is a champion bloke and a champion breeder/ grower, and he gave us about 20 different varieties of buds that would literally smoke the competition at a Cannabis Cup. In particular his Mullumbimby Madness and Mullum Widow are the strains that I now go to bed dreaming about:)

So I have 12 north facing spots in a semi guerilla plot amongst the lantana at over 500 meters, as well as 3 holes closer to home.

picture.php

I had to cut through about 50 metres of lantana to find the spot, and generally lantana will grow where the soil is best. The soil is amazing here, rich and already composted. I've also carried some cowshit to the plot and dug it into 1.5 metre wide holes, but that'll be it as far as soil improvement goes. More manure types for the home spots.

picture.php

What I'm growing is Mullumbimby Madness x White Widow MW by Kanga, Mango Haze MH by Shanti, Nimbin Haze NH by that nice lady at the Hemp Bar in Nimbin, and either Mendo Girl by Kanga or Jamaican Blue Mountain by Charlie Garcia - yet to decide. I would have loved to grow the legendary MM of 23 feet lore, but at 20 weeks flowering - I'd need a spot that gets almost continuous sun from dawn to dusk and my plot doesn't quite fulfill the criteria.

The seeds for each of these is quite distinct:
picture.php

Nimbin Haze - medium sized dark seeds

picture.php

Mango Haze - small pale shiny seeds

picture.php

Mendo Girl - medium to large ostrich eggs

picture.php

Mullum Widow large seeds a little less speckled than MG

I've divided the grow into two germination sessions. The first in the week before the last full moon. The second will be in the equivalent week next month.

Thus far I have 6 out of 7 seeds germinated - 3 MW, 2 MH & 1 NH

picture.php

The plants are now a few days old.

picture.php

MH1

picture.php

MH2

picture.php

MW1

picture.php

MW2

picture.php

MW3

picture.php

NH

I'll try and update this thread once a week and hopefully by the end I'll have some nice big females to show. Remember this grow will be at the amateur end of the spectrum, so don't expect too much:)

I look foward to seeing the results of this one. What a great grow location you got there mate. I wish you all the best in your grow! :)

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Thank you for sharing this with us bushweed.

looks like you are off to great start mate , cant wait to see what this season brings everyone in the out door game.

wish I had soil as good as yours...

bring em home mate..

P.s.. Growing some of Kanagativas work... you lucky duck :)

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Cutting through 50 metres of lantana must have bee a mission. Good luck.

Kangativa

Veteran
Looking good mate.......J and me reckon the hole is a bit small...lol
Getting them in this early you should be able to sex them out:)
Good luck Bushy.....You know I am in for this one:gday:

bushweed

Veteran
Thanks for your support everyone.

@ Kangativa - yeah a bit small 1.5 metres wide - but I can't do all the work for them:)

The first to germinate after 24 hours was a Mango Haze:

picture.php

Note the mutant leaf structure, this one has already been overtaken in growth by an MW and the NH. The MW was second to pop and has charged to the lead:

picture.php

The NH which was second last has almost overtaken all the others and is the tallest:

picture.php

I said it was a fertile place. Here's a copse of palms in the valley below the grow:

picture.php

Hope you all enjoy your weekend.:ying:

H

hard rain

Beautiful part of the world bushweed. I'm north of you but I travel down there quite a lot. I love the mountains, rainforest and beaches there. Some of the most stunning national parks in Oz.

Really nice choice of plants especially the Mango Haze. I've wanted to get that ever since reading the franks favourite weed thread. I wish seedboutique would re stock it.

Good luck with your grow and watch out for helicopters in that neck of the woods.:ying:

weedfiend

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 114KB.

wow man...........sorry kids looks like were moving!
gorgeous spot u live in chief.

picture.php

Allotropy

Hey bushweed, this thread is now on my suscribed list. :tiphat:

There is only a few places in Australia where the environment is similar in all respects, including the soil substructure.

You can't beat growing in Lantana.. it's a pain in the ass to cut back in Summer, but in winter it's perfect and come spring it starts really providing that barrier against rippers, cows and other animals of all sorts. Not to mention what you said about providing a good indication that the soil itself is good, it also provides a good indication that their is enough light around to grow the stuff, since it needs a high percentage of light to grow properly. :jump: The list goes on...
It also provides stealth to the plants from the sky and ground being a similar in respects to cannabis in that it's soo green by taking alot of nitrogen into the leaves. You can even use it as a fertilizer by burying it into the holes to break down before you grow!! It also provides stealth against people smelling out your crop, lantana has a distinctive smell overpowering like any stinky pheno you might obtain, a wonder at masking odor.

Can't beat growing in lantana, white people brought it to australia to act as fence barrier substrate against cattle, it went feral and out of control and makes perfect growing for some people in oz, bet your gonna have a kickass plant/s by the end of this season :yay:

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Hey bushweed, this thread is now on my suscribed list. :tiphat:

There is only a few places in Australia where the environment is similar in all respects, including the soil substructure.

You can't beat growing in Lantana.. it's a pain in the ass to cut back in Summer, but in winter it's perfect and come spring it starts really providing that barrier against rippers, cows and other animals of all sorts. Not to mention what you said about providing a good indication that the soil itself is good, it also provides a good indication that their is enough light around to grow the stuff, since it needs a high percentage of light to grow properly. :jump: The list goes on...
It also provides stealth to the plants from the sky and ground being a similar in respects to cannabis in that it's soo green by taking alot of nitrogen into the leaves. You can even use it as a fertilizer by burying it into the holes to break down before you grow!! It also provides stealth against people smelling out your crop, lantana has a distinctive smell overpowering like any stinky pheno you might obtain, a wonder at masking odor.

Can't beat growing in lantana, white people brought it to australia to act as fence barrier substrate against cattle, it went feral and out of control and makes perfect growing for some people in oz, bet your gonna have a kickass plant/s by the end of this season :yay:

agree %100

just need to find me a similar type growing environment :gday:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey bushweed ,,, geez that red soil with lantana looks soo familiar , im at home in your patch ,, hehe ..
I was reading about that volcano , a massive sheild volcano ,, i believe the biggest sheild volcano in the world ... the article said the ash side of the volcano ,, where all the ash gathered , is over 100 kilometers thick .. massive huh ,,,...

great growing country for sure ,, good luck on the patch bushweed and im crossing my fingers for a nice dry finish for ya ...

Allotropy

Too right shroomy, just gotta supply the water and tie em down if ya have too ;)

Couldn't agree more with what you say Donald ;) Looks very similar to my parts aswell but not in your area of location. Everyone I know is keeping their fingers crossed for not as much rain.. and particularily not so late in the growing season. Too much mold for anybody's liking!

Notice the soil around the pots (particularily why I showed them) yep it's red volcanic soil, but not mullimimby either.

Attachments

• my outdoor sativa.jpg
    my outdoor sativa.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 16
  • outdoor sativa.jpg
    outdoor sativa.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 17

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice Bushweed i love that first pic what a view,,Ill be keeping an eye on this grow for sure m8,, Ive always wanted to try Mr Nice Mango Haze just never got round to getting any, might pick up a pack soon...:)

Allotropy

Nice Bushweed i love that first pic what a view,,Ill be keeping an eye on this grow for sure m8,, Ive always wanted to try Mr Nice Mango Haze just never got round to getting any, might pick up a pack soon...:)

I reckon, it's a shame I'm getting a pack for this outdoor season so I could have watched your grow bushweed as an indication :dance013:

It will be a pleasure growing some at the same time as yourself outdoors here in Australia, is kangitiva giving them a whurl aswell? :dance013:

:gday:

bushweed

Veteran
Hi guys thanks for showing up and sharing your thoughts.

It will be a pleasure growing some at the same time as yourself outdoors here in Australia, is kangitiva giving them a whurl aswell? :dance013:

:gday:

Yep, so that makes three of us so far:dance013:

Below is a picture of the Pinnacle, on the western face of the Wollumbin caldera, beneath which resides the world's oldest law courts - according to Aboriginal custom, and a place inhabited by the powerful presence of a centuries old Cleverman, or Shaman - or so the story goes (as many varied people have told it).

picture.php

madb

best of luck on your return to growing bushweed, im sure with friends like kanga and soil like that it can only be a success :)

Nice mate...If ya check out the 2009( i think) season grow thread you'll find a photo of a Nimbin sativa at about 6-7ft 4wks from harvest,with moi standing next to it...Sounds like the seed was aquired under similar circumstances and weed!!