What's new

Building a Home Made LED

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Under 45C , that's great repuk !

The AC power is surely a bit higher, but this is normal: those driver achieve maximum efficiency when they have the biggest load as possible (maximum led number), and even then is not higher than 90~95% (I guess).

They're rated for 87% efficiency, and all the drivers are loaded to the max... I'm started to think after seeing a inrush load current of 60A in the spec sheet that maybe those 0.4A would have lowered after some time if I have left the multimeter probes fixed and waited several minutes...

tenthirty said:
53.9w draw and and 90w input. If that is true, something is getting damn hot.

That was what puzzled me, I expected a short or something, but the driver wasn't hot.

I think it's hard to get a Kill-a-watt here in Europe but I found a very useful device of this kind which measure : voltage, current, watts, vat, frequency, power factor, and in addition count the kwh and if you enter the price per kwh , it will show the total cost. I reset my counter when I start my current grow so it will be so easy to find the total cost of the electricity and to calculate the real g/kwh ratio.

I bought mine here in Europe, from the hardware store and it was around 20EUR. On it' back it is writen DUWI (with two horizontal dots over U - I don't have this caracter on my keyboard , it says that is imported in Hungary (I'm not in Hungary, but who know how knows what path did this device followed until it's final destination on the hardware store self) by a third german or polsky company , and of course that is was made in ... where else ... China. I am very happy with it .

View Image

Great! so DÜBI brand? will look for it... thanks hempfield!

vukman

Veteran
Just a bit of an update here gang....been busy helping mother and sister set up their new store (brick and mortar)
www.raindropsto.com
is the web site for what they sell....Damn, the new location is a freaking gold mine....:yes:
The contractor didn't check before hand if there was networking cables or even phone lines run before the renovation started so it's taken a little while to co-ordinate all that crap...All done and all good now.

I went ahead and purchased this soldering station.. A little over kill but for the money, why not.. never know when my wide varying interests might require the extra bells and whistles to play with....:D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SMD-3in1-853...754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item53eed15112

I am also going to take the advice of others much wiser than I and take some Al. 'U' channel and attach it onto the back of the main heat sink for the extra cooling. It's cheap enough seeing that bi-fold door tracks and window frames are made with the stuff already formed and in a wide variety of profiles....Easy enough to attach as well.....

More to come. Thank you for all the support you've all shown me in my endeavours....:bow:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hi!

Just a bit of an update here gang....been busy helping mother and sister set up their new store (brick and mortar)
www.raindropsto.com
is the web site for what they sell....Damn, the new location is a freaking gold mine....:yes:
The contractor didn't check before hand if there was networking cables or even phone lines run before the renovation started so it's taken a little while to co-ordinate all that crap...All done and all good now.

and now to more "serious" business! :)

I went ahead and purchased this soldering station.. A little over kill but for the money, why not.. never know when my wide varying interests might require the extra bells and whistles to play with....:D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SMD-3in1-853...754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item53eed15112

whoa, with DC variable power supply integrated! Mine (SMD) is similar but w/o the DC supply, now put it to good use! :)

I am also going to take the advice of others much wiser than I and take some Al. 'U' channel and attach it onto the back of the main heat sink for the extra cooling. It's cheap enough seeing that bi-fold door tracks and window frames are made with the stuff already formed and in a wide variety of profiles....Easy enough to attach as well.....

More to come. Thank you for all the support you've all shown me in my endeavours....:bow:

Don't forget the Pics once you gather everything and start!

guvoo, I'd swear my multimeter it's a true RMS one.

vukman

Veteran
WHooooooooooo WHeeeeeeeeee

Lookie look what I got today..:D

Just a few more little items and we;re good to go...mUhahahahhah

picture.php

DrFever

Veteran
WHooooooooooo WHeeeeeeeeee

Lookie look what I got today..:D

Just a few more little items and we;re good to go...mUhahahahhah

View Image

Well buddy i might have to get you to make me one some day hell might have to come up for a visit lol my brother from another mother

just by chance what is your guess in making me a real 1000 watt LED panel

vukman

Veteran
heheh,,,,,thanks gang....okay.. I got the 'fins' so here again is a preliminary layout for that...:

picture.php

picture.php

Going to be thermal dbl sided tape and rivets holding them in place..:)
First, gotta clean them and make 'em look all nice 'n purddy..;)

DrFever

Veteran
heheh,,,,,thanks gang....okay.. I got the 'fins' so here again is a preliminary layout for that...:

View Image

View Image

going to look great you better start making me one soon or i should wait lol and see how yours goes lol

vukman

Veteran
going to look great you better start making me one soon or i should wait lol and see how yours goes lol

better wait...just because I got the tools..it doesn't mean I know how to use them!!!! LOL...;)

As the old saying goes, it's not the tools that make the master/craftsman..:D

I haven't soldered in freaking years and the old eyes just are not what they used to be,,, thank everything that I don't drink no more or else it would a very very messy solder job...:)

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting

just used my glass stovetop to solder a cree mx6 to mcpcb {medium seemed a little hot}

totally winging it here as all i have is plumber's paste solder (lol)

anyway, using 15v 535ma wall wort just testing for continuity and lights it up!!!
these LEDs want 20v 60ma and yes i know i m messing w/ burning this one up

however some folks may be interested to know that;

a) stovetop (glass) works on med -should be a good idea to use a thermometer and know what temps one is working w/ but i was winging it

b) the plumber's solder paste worked for me even though it is supposed to be non-elecrical {i m sure there's caveats w/ this one too}
***EDIT; plumber's paste = NO GO! this plumber's paste ahs fucked this prioject; am going to have to clean it off since the rosin core wont adhere to it and the led's are not secure w/ it either***
late night on mouser and wishing i ordered 3.3v 1a LEDs like i intended but, having fun w/ these too!!!

Last edited:

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran

View Image

View Image

He he he, this pictures bring me in mind beautiful memories, when I was wondering how to add fins to my led panel heatsink.

Your LEDs will love the fins, they will find them ....'cool' :biggrin:

Keep up the good work ! :tiphat:

vukman

Veteran
interesting

just used my glass stovetop to solder a cree mx6 to mcpcb {medium seemed a little hot}

totally winging it here as all i have is plumber's paste solder (lol)

anyway, using 15v 535ma wall wort just testing for continuity and lights it up!!!
these LEDs want 20v 60ma and yes i know i m messing w/ burning this one up

however some folks may be interested to know that;

a) stovetop (glass) works on med -should be a good idea to use a thermometer and know what temps one is working w/ but i was winging it

b) the plumber's solder paste worked for me even though it is supposed to be non-elecrical {i m sure there's caveats w/ this one too}

late night on mouser and wishing i ordered 3.3v 1a LEDs like i intended but, having fun w/ these too!!!
:D...similar to what rives was talking about although his stovetop is an 'induction' variety instead of the glasstop one.

Worked none the less as you proved which is excellent but honestly my friend...I wouldn't push the luck too far..heheh....awesome going though I have to give you full kudos points on that one!!!!!!!! :yes:!!!!!!!!!!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Plumbing solder has an acid flux rather than rosin-based. The acid will continue to work on the material, eating away the material that you are seriously wanting to keep! It is good for mechanical strength rather than a low-resistance electrical connection.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plumbing solder has an acid flux rather than rosin-based. The acid will continue to work on the material, eating away the material that you are seriously wanting to keep! It is good for mechanical strength rather than a low-resistance electrical connection.

i think this is exactly the problem i m having; edited my post to reflect that plumber's paste solder is no good for this

wonder what it would cost to make a real 1000 watt led

spreading it out is better so, @ the 1000w level; you want more panels

or really big panel

Latest posts

Latest posts