What's new

Building a Bomb-ass Veg Room with IC OVO

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Greetings everyone,

New here, but quickly settling in. I've got some pretty decent construction experience in this industry and designing rooms for people is one of my favorite things. Here is a picture tutorial of building a bomb-ass veg space cost effectively (parts list and prices included). Here are the specs:

- Room interior dimensions are 4' x 8' x 8'
- Insulated with R13
- Panda plastic on interior and exterior walls
- Botanicare 4' x 8' tray (for floor)
- (2) Cooltubes with 1000W Hortilux HPS bulbs
- (2) Quantum Dimmable 1000W Ballasts
- 6" Inline Vortex
- 10" Mountain Air Carbon Filter
- Sentinel CHHC-4

--------------------------------------------------------------

Price list:

- Owens Corning R13 Insulation: 5 @ $11.98
- 2" x 4" x 8' Studs: 40 @ $2.64 (bought about 5 extra)
- 3/4" Plywood 4' x 8': 1 @ $29.98
- 16" x 8" Return Register (for air vents): 2 @ $9.98
- 2" x 4" Joist Hangers: 8 @ $.73
- Door Handles: 2 @ $5.98
- Weather Stripping: 4 @ $4.58
- 6" x 25" Ducting: 1 @ $22.90
- Botanicare 4' x 8' Tray: 1 @ $135.00
- Cooltubes: 2 @ $99.98

Total - $609

Most of the equipment (bulbs, CF, Vortex, CHHC-4) were extras laying around. Obviously you can choose to mount the equipment that best suits your needs. This setup is nice because it doesn't need any AC, even when the ballasts are set to full wattage. Its also extremely helpful to have a system that can run anywhere between 500 - 2000 watts with just the turn of a knob.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want some consultation doing this for yourself, I will help!

-------------------------------------------------------------

First two walls together
picture.php

Test fitting the tray
picture.php

Third wall together, tray fits perfectly
picture.php

Framing near completion
picture.php

Testing doors (hardest part to do perfectly)
picture.php

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Doors cont.
picture.php

picture.php

Joist hangers for the ceiling beams
picture.php

Beginning the insulation - wear protective gear!

picture.php

Insulation complete
picture.php

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Insulation cont.
picture.php

Time for plastic!
picture.php

picture.php

Time for equipment! Brackets for the CF, lined with weatherstripping for no vibrations!
picture.php

picture.php

Snype

Veteran
Looks nice but such a small VEG room for 2,000 watts. My Veg rooms need to be much larger and they still contain less than 2,000 watts which supplies enough plants for almost 20,000 Watts flowering per crop. Looks real neat though.

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Looks nice but such a small VEG room for 2,000 watts. My Veg rooms need to be much larger and they still contain less than 2,000 watts which supplies enough plants for almost 20,000 Watts flowering per crop. Looks real neat though.

Yes and no. I usually suggest running 1000W per 16 SQFT but you're right, it's a lot of light for a small space... This particular room serves a very specific function. It only needs to be home to a couple moms and 75 - 100 teens in keg cups for each run. 2000W might be a little much, but it allows the plants to start out at 500W and be bumped up as time goes on. The 2000W is really only there if it needs to be utilized. Since much of the equipment was already sitting around, it was really just a matter of cost and convenience more than anything else.

Thanks for stopping by! :thank you:

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Question...I have some stinky girls but they do not require a carbon filter in veg. I use the big Can 150 carbon filter as a scrubber in my flower (runs 24/7 and zero odor!) but nothing in veg. Just curious as to your rationale for carbon filtering the veg air.

Thanks, cheers!

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Question...I have some stinky girls but they do not require a carbon filter in veg. I use the big Can 150 carbon filter as a scrubber in my flower (runs 24/7 and zero odor!) but nothing in veg. Just curious as to your rationale for carbon filtering the veg air.

Thanks, cheers!

Eclipse, thanks for stopping by!

The rationale is pretty simple. I didn't take a picture of it, but the lights are ducted to a sealed plywood flange covering a nearby window. The window is open with a screen in front of it to exhaust the hot air. I didn't want to just dump potentially smelly air right out the window. It is sort of just a precaution. It also pulls and traps any contaminants in the air, which I'm always for.

:thank you:

EllieGrows

Veteran
Nice room, but you you need a fire proof covering if you use that type of insulation. I do not not believe black and white poly qualifies. Check out plastex comercial wall coverings if you own, or get some plywood up asap.

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Nice room, but you you need a fire proof covering if you use that type of insulation. I do not not believe black and white poly qualifies. Check out plastex comercial wall coverings if you own, or get some plywood up asap.

Thanks for the suggestion :thank you:

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
I think your construction is bomb . com

If you were my friend, I'd be calling you up to retrofit my spare bedroom like that.

Appreciate you posting up and sharing this type of information with the community bud.

:good: K++ :good:

BeL

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
I think your construction is bomb . com

If you were my friend, I'd be calling you up to retrofit my spare bedroom like that.

Appreciate you posting up and sharing this type of information with the community bud.

:good: K++ :good:

BeL

Sure thing! If you ever decide to take on a project of your own, let me know and I will help you out however I can!

EllieGrows

Veteran
Eclipse, thanks for stopping by!

The rationale is pretty simple. I didn't take a picture of it, but the lights are ducted to a sealed plywood flange covering a nearby window. The window is open with a screen in front of it to exhaust the hot air. I didn't want to just dump potentially smelly air right out the window. It is sort of just a precaution. It also pulls and traps any contaminants in the air, which I'm always for.

I also use carbon in veg, some of you all would die if you knew how public my spot was. Cant wait to see some plants in this room. Do you plan on using a humidifier?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Hmmmm....different needs I guess, as my plants can be quite odorous--but nothing noticeable (other than normal "greenhouse" smells). But if 100% odor eradication is the goal, you bet carbon scrubbers is one path I would use. That Can150 filter of mine in flower keeps me under the radar for sure!

Cheers!

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
Hmmmm....different needs I guess, as my plants can be quite odorous--but nothing noticeable (other than normal "greenhouse" smells). But if 100% odor eradication is the goal, you bet carbon scrubbers is one path I would use. That Can150 filter of mine in flower keeps me under the radar for sure!

Cheers!

Yup, that's the idea. Just trying to be good neighbors.

I also use carbon in veg, some of you all would die if you knew how public my spot was. Cant wait to see some plants in this room. Do you plan on using a humidifier?

Veg room is loaded up already for the next run, I'll take some pictures soon. I don't plan on humidifying the room. It is at 40% with the lights on and 55% with them off, so its pretty perfect.

nut

If thats fibreglass/mineral/stone wool insulation then its fire proof, it as to be otherwise we would not use it as insulation in our homes if it was a fire hazard.

Fibreglass insulation can withstand temps in excess of 800c you would be hard pressed to set in on fire with a blow torch and gallon of petrol it will just melt, Fibreglass is used as fire retardant on its own and the stuff we put in our walls have been treated again with other fire retardants to make sure it will not catch fire. Tying to start a fire with that stuff is like trying to start a fire with water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKZd1ZTjvzE

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
If thats fibreglass/mineral/stone wool insulation then its fire proof, it as to be otherwise we would not use it as insulation in our homes if it was a fire hazard.

Fibreglass insulation can withstand temps in excess of 800c you would be hard pressed to set in on fire with a blow torch and gallon of petrol it will just melt, Fibreglass is used as fire retardant on its own and the stuff we put in our walls have been treated again with other fire retardants to make sure it will not catch fire. Tying to start a fire with that stuff is like trying to start a fire with water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKZd1ZTjvzE

Thank you for the information :biggrin: