What's new

bugs...what are they?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i should mention they seem to have a hard shell as they dont squish easily, and they dont jump, they just crawl like in the vid kinda like a crab

ballplayer 2

Thank you for posting this Joe. I concur with what you have said about them being difficult to squish, and crawling like a crab.

I also have these, have been trying to figure out wxactly what they are. I cannot seem to get rid of them. Hopefully we will be able to get some input from various sources here and nail down what these things are.

That's a pretty good quality video you posted, considering how small these things are. Thank you for your time and experience.

BP

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
I GOT MY OPINION ON WHAT THEY ARE, BUT DONT WANT TO INFLUENCE ON ANYONE OPINION....

IM LOOKING FOR FRESH PERSPECTIVE, AND HOPING THEY ARE WHAT I THINK THEY ARE...

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen those before. I thought they were Hyopsis Miles aka soil mites.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
I've seen those before. I thought they were Hyopsis Miles aka soil mites.

soil mites is what i was thinking...except they are not seeming too beneficial, to me it seems as they affect plant health and a plants ability to take in nutes...

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well my plants look very similar to RA damage, but what i got is these things and gnats....i have been looking like crazy for RA in the soil but cant find nothing...only these

RetroGrow

Veteran
I'm going to guess broad mites or hypoasis miles. I say "guess" because it's difficult when dealing with such tiny creatures on video. I don't think they are RAs, due to the fact they are on top (it appears that way in the picture). RAs would be in your root zone. How do the roots look?
By the way, broad mites are destructive, unlike hypoasis miles.
Broad mites seem to fit your situation.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Guessing predatory mite.
picture.php

picture.php

I pulled this fella out of my Rodney plant in flower,.... they're not hurting anything and the population only explodes in proportion to the population of springtails in the soil.

If you overwater/underwater your plants the spring tails and fungus gnats have more damaged dead and rotting roots to eat,.... and more food for the predators.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Guessing predatory mite.
View Image
View Image

I pulled this fella out of my Rodney plant in flower,.... they're not hurting anything and the population only explodes in proportion to the population of springtails in the soil.

If you overwater/underwater your plants the spring tails and fungus gnats have more damaged dead and rotting roots to eat,.... and more food for the predators.

Predatory mites or springtails would not be damaging his plants as he described.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
True.

I'm speculating that they would be there for other reasons, they're a symptom of another issue.

When I first spotted these guy's I was having issues I thought was RA's as well. Turns out my wife was "Helping" by watering plants and hadn't been telling me, which lead to Root rot and a fungal infection that cost me several moms.

Once I figured it out and banned her from the grow room things cleared right up! :D

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
while looking online for RA pics...i found this..
corn root aphid
Corn%20root%20aphids2.jpg

they look like the little white ones, never seen anything ike the black one

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Can you get a pic or vid of YOUR bug?

picture.php

Aphids have a fairly distinct body structure, but on this scale (almost microscopic) it's hard to tell it apart from other bugs with the naked eye.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I'm going to guess broad mites or hypoasis miles. I say "guess" because it's difficult when dealing with such tiny creatures on video. I don't think they are RAs, due to the fact they are on top (it appears that way in the picture). RAs would be in your root zone. How do the roots look?
By the way, broad mites are destructive, unlike hypoasis miles.
Broad mites seem to fit your situation.
Theyre not Broad Mites. Broad mites are too small to be seen with the naked eye. I have a whole thread going about broad mites here if you're interested.

onelung09

ive had these as well some safe soap got rid of them but i never knew what they were?? thought they were damaging but i found out damage was from ph lock out would like to know what those are do you use fox farm ?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
Can you get a pic or vid of YOUR bug?

View Image

Aphids have a fairly distinct body structure, but on this scale (almost microscopic) it's hard to tell it apart from other bugs with the naked eye.

no i got a shitty cam...

but on another note....my crop is done in 3 weeks, any advice for total room bug sterilizeation while there are no plants in it?looking for something that will kill all bugs and critters? i want to start new with no left over bugs in the hard to get spaces, ive used drdoom bug bomb, but imo it works ok, but nothing special....you really need alot of cans to get the job done, and i dont know how effective it is against all bugs...