What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract)

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like the bud candy plant/bud seems to be frostier form the close ups, no?

good thread

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Thanks guys, glad it's been helpfull... still a few more findings to come yet :)

@Greyskull, the BC is a little bit more frostier than the M&P, although the flash slightly accentuates this in that pic. The main thing is that there are more trichs packed in closer on both the BC & M&P groups. The close ups show that well if not anything else :D The trichs are like a packed SOG on the BC plants, a lil less on the M&P but it's tight. The control you can visibly see less trichs on than both of the others though. The trichs are a bit more spaced apart.

I forgot to say... The BC trichs are slimmer than the M&P or controls have a look at the close ups to see what I mean.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Thanks guys, chop is on Sunday, the following Sunday will release some preliminary results.

Here's some OG Kush S1 that I am also growing, these have received Canna A+B, Plagron Top Activator & B'Cuzz bloom stimulator during 12/12.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

S

Surfr

Looking forward to the results.. I actually just cut out Bud Candy and replaced it with Earth Juice High Brix molasses...

kp^

Shhh!, TY for you're work here!! K+:tiphat:

Lov seeing comparissions in a controlled env! ty :joint:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Cheers toohigh, that S1 turned out pretty nice mate. Has been chopped down today @ 9 weeks.

W'sup Surfr & kp^

Surfr, that sounds interesting that EJ stuff gotta go look that up... Why the switch away from Bud Candy?

kp^ glad I could be of service :)

The buds are nearly ready to start testing... Have had a cheeky quick dry sample from each test group but I will wait till Wed when I sample the perfectly dried buds that have had a few days of curing before making any solid decisions...

I can however, confirm that the BC buds were slightly more advanced for sure... Calyxes ended up the most swollen @ the chop stage... The rest I will save for Wednesday in case the quick dry bud I smoked from the groups distorted any results :joint:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
The trial between m&p/ BC & the control has thrown up some results finally :D

My findings conclude that Bud Candy has the most frosty buds, that finished a few days before the rest. The weight was best on the m&p tray, but this was somewhat marginal (17g's- 20g's) and could be down to other factors like oscillating fan placement, position under light etc. The control group had the largest yielding plant but that was to be expected due to the numbers in that group compared to the m&p and bc groups.

The other thing was the BC buds were a shade lighter, very slightly although noticeable all the same, over the control and m&p groups. The buds were a little less dense than the m&p group also.

Smoking wise the bud candy group budz are more sweet and tasted better quicker than any other group, I mean they were tasting spot on 2 days before the m&p and about 3-4 before the control group. Thing is the m&p group buds smoke the strongest! They don't have the overly sweet taste from like the BC buds they're more raw cheese...

So the bud candy group has the sweetest, best looking pot albeit with a slight loss in density over the m&p although firmer than the control group budz.

The m&p group has the densest nugs, still very frosty and exhibits a the cheese bouquet without sweet undertones the BC bud carries.

Control budz are lovely tbh, nice taste, smell and appearance.... If I didn't have the other 2 groups to compare against I would really pleased with how they came out. Plan on using this nutrient schedule again with the addition of the m&p or bc depending which I end up liking most... Still undecided as each product has had a slight effect on taste & appearance more than anything else IMO. Although it's kinda hard to say one is preferable
over the other really...

My misses still like the full on cheesey'ness from the m&p buds, while I am digging both groups and their results.

Not the best of conclusions, but my observations never the less... Hope they are of some use to someone out there.... I think the bottom line here is CARBS WORK! :joint:

few shots, sorry not the best pictures but should get an idea for what I have described :)

m&p budz

picture.php

picture.php

BC budz

picture.php

picture.php

control budz

picture.php

picture.php

Heres some Killer OG kush :joint: This stuff is top shelf and very Sour Diesel'esque which was a very pleasant surprise. Other pheno's are more skunky and I am happy to say lemony :D:joint: lol!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Lastly the bit of cheese going into my vape right now :D m&P group...

picture.php

ibjamming

Veteran
So neither REALLY did much? It seems you're having trouble deciding how much it did, which means to me that neither are really great and necessary. That info is as good as one or both doing exceptional things to your buds.

Thanks!

THC123

Veteran
I don't get why people would add molasses or stuff like bud candy , what is wrong with the natural taste?

I added sweet leaf(bud candy predecessor) and it sure made the weed sweet , but so unnaturally sweet , yuck , i won't be ading anymore of this stuff to my plants!!! Mj tastes fine the way it does

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
No ibjammin, I have explained in a lot of depth throughout the thread as to what I thought the additives were doing for each plant.

Plus I have said that I find the BC bud (not un-naturally sweeter) but sweeter than both the other two groups. What I mean is if you have smoked cheese you will know it's a combo of tastes skunky and sweet, with the skunky normally overpowering the sweet...The BC buds have a more 50/50 mix of skunky and sweet when smoked. I have also found the BC buds to be frostier, and stickier than the other 2 groups.

The molasses & panela group had the most weight, although as I said this maybe an effect of lighting or being cooler as they were nearer an osculating fan. Whatever the case the m&p buds were denser than any other group. The smoke from these buds is CLEARLY better than the control group. What do I mean by this, let me explain... the buds took less time to reach optimum taste and an amplified taste over the control group. The taste is pure cheesey as appose to the 50/50 sweet/cheesey taste the BC group produced, and it's stronger than the control group in cheesey/ skunky taste.

The control group are nice - i.e bud will taste and grow just fine or even fantastic without any carbs as THC123 points out, just that I have found through actually testing these products against one and other :D that adding a carb source be it molasses/ panela, bud candy Earth Juices stuff dextrose etc etc... Taste and product will have a slight edge over untreated plants that is my main finding here. Thought I made it pretty clear but hey... I hope that iron's it out for anybody still in doubt :rolleyes:

Sorry if that comes across sarcastic it's just I tried to put a bit of effort into this and explaining what I was observing in some detail, seemed to me I was getting my point across in explaining what I was noticing differences using the additives (bc/ m&p)

@ THC I'm not fond of anything that adds an un-natural taste to my buds either mate, these products do not do that I would like to make that very clear... I have however, found an amplification of taste maybe due to more thc being produced (considering taste lies therein) that is my reasoning behind the findings. Plus I think most people add carbs to feed their micro-herds great taste density etc are usually a result of grow going well and not being burnt to shite but I know u know all this stuff already

TheOutlawTree

Awsome thread shhh, just read the whole thing, its great to see experiments like this with products. Much respect for the info.

I actually just ordered the bud candy, Carbo load, Big bud, and Overdrive for my outdoor plants. Ive fed them all summer with Heavy harvest summer and fall blends. And now im going to start feeding with some enhancers.

Maybe you can answer a question from me....

I haul water to my plants twice a week. Should i feed carbo load, big bud, and bud candy whenever i go to water? Or should i only add the nutes once a week?

Stardaze

killer info here, really enjoyed the thread and read the whole thing. I use Floralicious right now and have gone through several harvests with it. Considering switchin to bud candy, but your M and P results were equally impressive imo. Kinda wanting to just add a bit of M and P to my floralicious and floranova routine. Couple questions: What is panela, like what would this be called in the USA? Can I use molasses all the way through the flush, meaning all the way up to the chop without it causing the harvest to taste bad?