What's new

Bubba Kush S1s: Info and grow-along

mtntrogger

Veteran
Verdant its good to know about you still working that Bubba IBL line. I have been thinking about popping the Fat bubba seeds I have in hopes of finding a very bubba dominant pheno to cross with the OX . It will most likely be a while though as my next round of crosses are too be made with Sweet Tooth #3 (male and female). But I plan on getting back to the Bubba asap, im just a bit discouraged at the moment.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cheers mtn, interesting that you both mention cold temps, being an indica/broadleaf the bubba would likely have experienced cold temps in its 'evolution' - you would have though that it would not be phased by them but i nature may have selected towards plants that reproduced themselves if winter started coming whilst they were in early flower? - all wild speculation but i could see some sense in it. traits like that could go largely unnoticed in a modern indoor growroom.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
manstien, they are S1s of the pre-98 cut, not the katsu.

most of the S1 plants ive smoked, i would have trouble distinguishing from the real pre-98 cut, so they must be as good or very nearly as good imo.

VG

After growing two packs my experience was that all were almost the same just slightly different. Some were a little more sour, some a little more earthy. The one I kept was the only one I could detect having a coffee smell. All were frosty. The effects were practically identical but potency varied some but the worst were still good smokes.

glockdoc

After growing two packs my experience was that all were almost the same just slightly different. Some were a little more sour, some a little more earthy. The one I kept was the only one I could detect having a coffee smell. All were frosty. The effects were practically identical but potency varied some but the worst were still good smokes.

solid post

O

Oti$

The only difference in my was one that looked different in veg, it turned out, in flower, to look more like ths rest. My pallet,I don't think, is as refined as many, but all mine were practically identical in enroll and flavor and all had the coffee kush smell and taste of bubba. I had a hard time picking theed one I intended to keep. I'm doing a side by side with a pre98 cut I was given. I thought the clone may have smelled slightly stronger, but was not grown side by side, so I will find out for sure. In any case, these are as close to spot on to any alleged pre98 I've sampled...worth the $:D

Cool Moe

Veteran
I've never sampled the pre98 Bubba clone, but Verdant's s1s rank right up there at the top of the heap as my best/favorite packs ever purchased. Hope they come around again. :tiphat:

bigshrimp

Veteran
my last two of these s1s also threw some bananas around week 3-4. I'm pretty sure it was my faullt--they were stressed in many ways--rootbound, outdoor wintertime severe light dep, and temps that dropped below 50F a few times at night.

Some of mine also formed some male parts around that time. Just a few on mid level buds. Clones of the plants have never thrown nanners though.

I have heard that with selfs this is not uncommon.

Q

quokka

I have grown a few different Bubba and Afghani crosses but never could smell any coffee.......... hmmmm??

Maybe i am just unlucky or can't recognize it for some reason?

I'm still looking though. :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have grown a few different Bubba and Afghani crosses but never could smell any coffee.......... hmmmm??

Maybe i am just unlucky or can't recognize it for some reason?

I'm still looking though. :)

ive said this before in the thread, even with the pre-98 cut, the coffee smell is subjective. i can understand why people say its coffee, but i doubt i would call the aroma 'coffee' if i didnt know it was what other people called it - if that makes any sense.
to me its more incense and earthy, with a pleasant but bitter twang to it (which is probably where the coffee comes from)
its a very unique smell, and one of the very best smells and tastes imo

some people have a more imaginative palate than others i guess :D

VG

O

Oti$

Agree about the"coffee"smell, I don't think it actually smells like coffee but its definitely a unique scent that my unrefined pallet detects in a good sample of bubba our a bubba cross in which it seems bubba kush usually dominates. The smell and flavor was pretty uniform across all seeds popped and all smelled like any alleged pre98 that I've had.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi guys, i just heard from OP that there are a few packs of Bubba S1s left to relist.

ive asked him when he plans to list them and i'll let you know when he gets back to me.
if you are really keen though, you might want to keep an eye on seedbay and the relevant threads too.

VG

hi guys, i just heard from OP that there are a few packs of Bubba S1s left to relist.

ive asked him when he plans to list them and i'll let you know when he gets back to me.
if you are really keen though, you might want to keep an eye on seedbay and the relevant threads too.

VG

I'm waiting man, I'm really interested in this and eventually maybe crossing with some Tiger Milk from Bodhi, maybe some other Bubba crosses idk, I will be grabbing a pack of these and the Chems. Thanks VG you are an inspiration for the at home grower/breeder/MJ proponent always killing it with the Mod SCRoGs and 1 GpW LeD and micro/macro grows. I'm a fan fo sho, and one day I will smoke you out sir!:tiphat:

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I vote that those very cold lights off temps may have caused the problem.. I've seemed to notice that in weeks 3-7 if the temps are in the low lights off it seems to trigger a response in the plant to preserve itself in nature? maybe it thinks a winter is close and it needs to go in genetic survival mode to ensure its survival??

Just conjecture on my park
64-65 seems the low end in the plants ive grown to continue resin output and bud/terps development , I like 68-70 at lights out unless im fading nutes and want color the last few days/weeks.

I vote that those very cold lights off temps may have caused the problem.. I've seemed to notice that in weeks 3-7 if the temps are in the low lights off it seems to trigger a response in the plant to preserve itself in nature? maybe it thinks a winter is close and it needs to go in genetic survival mode to ensure its survival??

Just conjecture on my park
64-65 seems the low end in the plants ive grown to continue resin output and bud/terps development , I like 68-70 at lights out unless im fading nutes and want color the last few days/weeks.

I completely agree, except to compound or expound upon your point is that it is relative to the grower, unfortunately like most of of growing, becuase it really boils down to a 10 degree drop or greater will effect the plant so you optimally want to be at around 8-10 correct?

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the ten degree drop is is just a threshold/generic range. If you can you want temps near same night and day as you can get em...

I can tell you for sure ten deg diff from night and day doesn't apply if your day cycles are 68-70 cause imo 60 degree and under stalls the plant and its natural cycle indoor in pots?

But i dont know cause outdoor i know alot of guys deal with 73 deg days or lower and upper-lower 50's at night but from what i understand its usually at the very end of the crop
plus remember the roots are in the ground surrounded by mother earths natural heat which stays a steady temp so to speak...

mtntrogger

Veteran
Hey guys , I did save 1 clone of one of the better of the the 3 phenos I got. its vegging now, I plan on taking a cut then flowering it just to see it it does it again. It is really cold here at the moment. I did have lights off temps around 58, lights on at 75. I am going to wait a few months before starting my final 2 bubba s1 seeds.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
let us know how you get on mtn!

on the temperature thing, i think soil temps are important, and if soil temps dont go too low then you can get away with lower air temps.
organic soil generates a bit of heat so i find my soil is often reasonably warm, 65-70, even if the temps are going down to 60 or lower at night.

i havent heard from OP about when he might relist the bubbas. like i said if i hear anything i'll let you know, but if you are dead set on getting some you should watch seedbay etc as well.

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts